Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a GREAT policy if you own a private, for profit prison!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDotter View Post
    Correct, as long as the government puts huge taxes on it, then there will still be demand for cheaper supply elsewhere. Taxes are the devil here though.
    even if it wasn't taxed at all the cartels would still survive and thrive they make lots of money off of human trafficking, kidnapping, extortion, they are even in the mining and petroleum business these days.

the Knights Templar, for example, principle source of income is Iron ore.
    Last edited by stabetha; 2015-04-21 at 12:42 AM.
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDotter View Post
    Correct, as long as the government puts huge taxes on it, then there will still be demand for cheaper supply elsewhere. Taxes are the devil here though.
    That's why there's such a major illegal trade in tobacco and liquor!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    addiction clinic paid by tax payers dollars, when those ADDICTS CHOSE to do drugs in the first place?
    I don't think you understand addiction or addicts.
    How liberal are you?
    Pretty goddamn motherfucking liberal, if I do say so myself. But don't tell the SJWs, they probably think I'm a dudebro, mansplainin', fedora neckbeard shitlord whateverthefuck because I call myself egalitarian and think modern feminism is just female chauvinism. But I was called an SJW today, so who knows?
    Weird Al - I never feed trolls and I don't read spam
    Galen Hallcyon - The internet has shown us that everyone is a fuckin' moron.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    You can't just roll unprocessed tobacco and moon shine is illegal and pretty hard to make right.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    You can't just roll unprocessed tobacco and moon shine is illegal and pretty hard to make right.
    I got no problem with moonshine either. I know several people who buy it regularly.
    Weird Al - I never feed trolls and I don't read spam
    Galen Hallcyon - The internet has shown us that everyone is a fuckin' moron.

10+ Year Old Account
    moonshine isn't illegal and is pretty easy to make, not collecting tax for moonshine is.
    I hate America
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    moonshine isn't illegal and is pretty easy to make.
    It's legal if it's actually put through the system, but there are still 'pure' moonshiners that make it illegally.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinningMan View Post
    It's legal if it's actually put through the system, but there are still 'pure' moonshiners that make it illegally.
    it's tax evasion that is illegal.
    I hate America

10+ Year Old Account
    moonshine isn't illegal and is pretty easy to make.
    Wait, what? Since when? Last I heard it was still illegal. And as far as making it, I've heard of way more people getting it wrong than right. And from my understanding if you get it way too wrong, it can kill you. Though regular alcohol can do that too.

it's tax evasion that is illegal.
    Ah, of course. Fair point.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, what? Since when? Last I heard it was still illegal. And as far as making it, I've heard of way more people getting it wrong than right. And from my understanding if you get it way too wrong, it can kill you. Though regular alcohol can do that too.

available wherever fine wines and liquor is sold

moonshine is "regular alcohol" that has not been barrel aged and in some cases not watered down.
    Last edited by stabetha; 2015-04-21 at 12:54 AM.
    I hate America

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post
    Why is it so hard to just not do drugs?
    The vast majority don't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    another perspective. The person who has the crystal meth giving money to the cartels, who are killing people in Mexico. The person knows this but does not care, since he is not involved directly. Now, Why should I care about HIM?
    So Joe the lowly methhead is executed because of what some drug lords do in Mexico?
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Yes. People buy cigarettes in neighboring states/cities where they are cheaper only to sell them their hometown for a profit. Taxes on cigs vary so much that it's actually profitable to come to Iowa from Chicago to buy cigs and sell them back in Chicago tax free.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2015-04-21 at 01:33 AM.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I never understood people's argument behind "the War on Drugs has failed!!" I understand it doesn't completely stop people from buying and consuming illegal drugs. But the same could be said with laws against murder. Should we make murder legal then? A better argument would be "it has medical applications!" That I can get behind. But to say we should "end the War on Drugs" because you think it isn't effective and a waste isn't a good argument. Look at how many tons of drugs we get off the street each year. It may be a never ending war, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't fight it.
    I don't think most people are making the case that we need to stop trying to get drugs off the street. Those folks, the big time movers should face jail time and harsh punishment. But the end users. The college kid caught with a gram of cocaine, Methhead Joe feeding his addiction under the bridge, crackhead Charlie and Marijuana Mark should not be put behind bars for months and even years for low level possession. THIS is the failure.

In Washington State they spend almost $50,000 per inmate, per year. The USA quadrupled the number of incarcerated people since 1980. Pretty expensive bill for the tax payers with really no tangible benefit to show for it.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beery Swine View Post
    wat? Have you ever even met a pothead in your life?
    So because all my friends are not stoners that somehow invalidates my point? If you are cool with potheads are you also cool with having meth- and crackheads running about? Are they all the same in your eyes? or did you just cherry-pick your one option that you are cool with? If you want to sit on your couch and giggle while eating snacks that is your issue. Are most people that are in jail on drug charges there cause they sat at home smoking weed once in a while? I'm fairly certain that isn't the case.

If you are not an addict and you are just doing it recreational then what is your excuse for breaking the law? It was a stupid law and you didn't feel like following those? Can that be applied to whatever I feel like to without any consequences? If you want to smoke weed then go ahead, but don't cry about it if you get sent to jail or get a fine. You choose to do it and now you can take your punishment like a man (or woman).

Addiction is a disease and it's difficult to control. Usually they have to hit rock bottom and have a moment of clarity before they stop. They are infirmed, they shouldn't be imprisoned, they should be treated by professionals in an addiction clinic under close supervision.
    The disease theory is still an ongoing battle. It's convenient since people don't have to take any kinda of responsibility for their actions and it's not blaming the "victim" (addict). They can continue to go down that old 12-step program path of being powerless and handing their life over to a higher power (ie I don't want to do drugs, but I'm weak and my "disease" is making me do them but God will save me). That is not to say that you can't get sick or there won't be physiological and/or mental changes due to your drug usage. Unless someone held you down and filled you up with drugs in the first place you brought those on yourself.

There are drug rehabilitation programs for them, I'm not saying they couldn't be better then they are but how many times should we send someone to rehab before we stop? An infinite amount of times? Also these people are not in prison only because they are addicts. They are there because they broke the law. Being an addict is really not an excuse. You are still responsible for your actions.

I'm sure one could even argue that if you commit crimes while high or in the pursuit of pleasure (or being high) it's even worse then normally, as your desire for pleasure hurt other people, and you deserve every day behind bars that you get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Real easy war on drug arrest every corporate rich fat cat bringing it into this country and execute them for treason. As carlin said you'd see the drugs coming into this country end pretty fast.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2015-04-21 at 01:43 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Just execute repeat drug offenders. Then they stop taking space.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Real easy war on drug arrest every corporate rich fat cat bringing it into this country and execute them for treason. As carlin said you'd see the drugs coming into this country end pretty fast.
    It wouldn't take executions - just start jailing the bankers who handle the cartel's money laundering, instead of slapping them on the wrist. And we're not talking small banks here either.

"How a big US bank laundered billions from Mexico's murderous drug gangs"
    Criminal proceedings were brought against Wachovia, though not against any individual, but the case never came to court. In March 2010, Wachovia settled the biggest action brought under the US bank secrecy act, through the US district court in Miami. Now that the year's "deferred prosecution" has expired, the bank is in effect in the clear. It paid federal authorities $110m in forfeiture, for allowing transactions later proved to be connected to drug smuggling, and incurred a $50m fine for failing to monitor cash used to ship 22 tons of cocaine.

More shocking, and more important, the bank was sanctioned for failing to apply the proper anti-laundering strictures to the transfer of $378.4bn – a sum equivalent to one-third of Mexico's gross national product – into dollar accounts from so-called casas de cambio (CDCs) in Mexico, currency exchange houses with which the bank did business.
    Read that again: a total fine of $160 million as the only punishment for up to $387 billion in money laundering.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

It's not a failed policy for the cops, lawyers and Judges. It allows them to keep their jobs.