10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Doesn't matter. Nintendo stopping production of the Wii-U is the official death of the system. After Zelda BOTW there is a 99% chance the system will no longer have first party support and that's really the only support it has had.

Nintendo wants to push the switch has there new home console and getting rid of the last one does this. Its not a big shock really since Nintendo has done this with all there home console systems.

If you don't have a Wii-U by now its foolish to buy one, Even more so when good chance most of the main Wii-U games will have a Switch port. But we won't know until Jan sadly.

Hell the launch lineup for the switch has a chance to be the best of any console just because of the amount of ports Nintendo can do from the Wii-U.

"GIVE ME MARIO MAKER FOR THE SWITCH DAMIT"
    None of what you said has any relevance to the point of my post. Dude said he'll never get to play SMT x Fire Emblem and I pointed out that the Wii U will still be on shelves for many months/years after this happens. The likelihood of Tokyo Mirage Sessions getting a Switch port is in all honesty very low.

But yes, this does mark the end of the Wii U.

Quote Originally Posted by Archpriest View Post
    I never tried COD for Wii but man metroid and golden eye showed that shooters with that kind of motion control are awesome. That's honestly my only real complain about both the Wii and the Wii U; that the (im my eyes) obvious and awesome way to utilize the special abilities of the console were not used nearly enough to create fun twists on normal genres.
    Hope the Switch does a bit better in that regard.
    I dislike motion controls. I don't want to have to hold my hands outward or in a certain unrested position. It makes my arms tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    None of what you said has any relevance to the point of my post. Dude said he'll never get to play SMT x Fire Emblem and I pointed out that the Wii U will still be on shelves for many months/years after this happens. The likelihood of Tokyo Mirage Sessions getting a Switch port is in all honesty very low.

With Nintendo stopping production of the Wii-U the games on that system will start to get harder to get. So ya unless he forks out a lot of cash now and grabs them then there is a good chance he will miss out.

the Wii U will still be on shelves for many months/years after this happens
    Months maybe but years....no. The Wii-U eats up a lot of room and personally I wouldn't be surprised if u don't see it on store shelf's by summer.

I kinda want to grab one just in case a few games don't get a port over to Switch. But the price on it ATM is way too high even more so with the switch being so close to release.

This is new tho, never seen a console die before the release of the next one. That alone shows Nintendo does not expect many if any Wii-U sells this holiday.

I really hope the Wii-U starts to tank in price in places like pawnshop's and Gamestop. If it gets $100 or less ill grab one just to add to my collection and get some games for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post
    It's also an ill omen for the Wii-U's online functionality. I doubt they'd shut it down anytime soon, what with Splatoon and Mario Maker, but they could shut it down anytime they wanted to now.
    Ya its all a matter of when now.

It wasn't long after the Wii-U release they shutdown the Wii's online. Personally I say its within a year after the Switchs release.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

With Nintendo stopping production of the Wii-U the games on that system will start to get harder to get. So ya unless he forks out a lot of cash now and grabs them then there is a good chance he will miss out.
    All of Nintendo's major titles received digital releases, no? Because that seems like a pretty easy solution if there is a limited supply of physical copies (which for many games I doubt will be too much of an issue), especially with external storage being cheap and possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    All of Nintendo's major titles received digital releases, no? Because that seems like a pretty easy solution if there is a limited supply of physical copies (which for many games I doubt will be too much of an issue), especially with external storage being cheap and possible.
    True, But isn't those digital sells tied to the system you get them on?

Never bought anything digital for the Wii-U. For me personally I rather have hardcopy's but that's me. Didn't Nintendo also shutdown the Wii's store so you couldn't buy those games anymore only download the ones you owned.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

True, But isn't those digital sells tied to the system you get them on?

Never bought anything digital for the Wii-U. For me personally I rather have hardcopy's but that's me. Didn't Nintendo also shutdown the Wii's store so you couldn't buy those games anymore only download the ones you owned.
    Wii eShop games are still purchasable, but they are only WiiWare and Virtual Console games.

And Wii U and 3DS games are tied to your NNID.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    I dislike motion controls. I don't want to have to hold my hands outward or in a certain unrested position. It makes my arms tired.
    Splatoon has some of the best gyro controls out there, but you can choose to use the right analog stick instead in the options menu.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    Wii eShop games are still purchasable, but they are only WiiWare and Virtual Console games.

And Wii U and 3DS games are tied to your NNID.
    Didn't know that, learn something new every day

It kind of is a shock. Another console ceased production earlier this year too. That console was the Xbox 360. The PS3 was discontinued around this time last year. Consoles normally cease production AFTER the new one is out, not months before. And the fact that they ceased production shortly before the big holiday sales boom tells me they have no hopes of doing well for this holiday outside of the 3DS family and the new Pokemon games (which are up for preorder on the eShop by the way! Already got both for myself). It's also an ill omen for the Wii-U's online functionality. I doubt they'd shut it down anytime soon, what with Splatoon and Mario Maker, but they could shut it down anytime they wanted to now. Deffo hoping SMT vs Fire Emblem, Bayonetta, and Xenoblade get ported. Mario Maker is probably a given, seeing as it's on the 3DS now, the only question is whether it'll be a launch title or not.
    Wii and DS's online multiplayer functionality being disabled was because Nintendo was using GameFly servers for them, and when they shut down, those services had to be disabled.

It all depends on how many people are still using those servers, and if Nintendo are using their own or not, which will determine when they will shut down.

Has the PS3/XB360 online multiplayer been shut down yet?

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't know that, learn something new every day
    Yeah, when you buy a Wii U or if you still have a Wii, just go to the Wii eShop and buy the games you want.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post

Even if it doesn't get a Switch port, it will probably get a Virtual Console release at some point on the Switch.

Or if there is a physical BC add-on for the Switch. Probably not.

Even if it doesn't get a Switch port, it will probably get a Virtual Console release at some point on the Switch.

Or if there is a physical BC add-on for the Switch. Probably not.
    I really don't see how Wii-U games could work on a Switch through backwards compatibility or virtual console. The Switch doesn't have a touchscreen controller, and I expect removing the tablet from the dock is no different than unhooking any other console from your TV.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

The Switch doesn't have a touchscreen controller
    yes it does.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

I really don't see how Wii-U games could work on a Switch through backwards compatibility or virtual console. The Switch doesn't have a touchscreen controller, and I expect removing the tablet from the dock is no different than unhooking any other console from your TV.
    While Nintendo themselves haven't confirmed it, many leaks have came out saying there will be a touch-screen.

Even if the leaks haven't come out, I would've thought Nintendo would've continued using touch-screens anyways. They may be moving from the Wii and DS brands, I don't think they would move away from the technologies they've used for those systems, especially like with the touch-screen, where Nintendo was pretty much a pioneer, at least in the gaming sense.

Well R.I.P the Wii-U.

Nintendo stops Production of the system Nov 4th.
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wii.../1100-6444994/

Whoever though the Switching isn't replacing the Wii-U is fooling themselves.
    Just saying.
    Since when was that ever a doubt? Only thing that was debated was if it's replacing the 3DS I'm pretty sure.

Has the PS3/XB360 online multiplayer been shut down yet?
    Xbox original has. The only 360 game i can think of that no longer exist is chromehounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    yes it does.
    Tokyo Mirrage Sessions uses both screens at the same time, there is no option for only using one. It would take a port and minor reworking to make it work on the Switch. That alone makes a "VC" release impossible let alone the fact there is no way the switch is strong enough to emulate a Wii U in the first place.

If it comes to the Switch it will be an enhanced port. I also think this is likely because Atlus was already hiring for a sequel to the game so clearly Nintendo/Atlus thinks it's sales where a reflection of the low market share of the Wii U and not the game's quality. Either that or Atlus is making the sequel without FE characters in it for a PS system where they think it will sell more.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-11-02 at 04:54 AM.

While Nintendo themselves haven't confirmed it, many leaks have came out saying there will be a touch-screen.

Even if the leaks haven't come out, I would've thought Nintendo would've continued using touch-screens anyways. They may be moving from the Wii and DS brands, I don't think they would move away from the technologies they've used for those systems, especially like with the touch-screen, where Nintendo was pretty much a pioneer, at least in the gaming sense.
    Could you link me to some of these rumors? I'm pretty sure the rumors that were coming out before the Switch announcement were referencing the Switch tablet itself, so I want to confirm that some of these rumors have been circulating after the announcement. It's also pretty clear that such a controller wouldn't be standard, seeing as there was no such thing in the reveal trailer (just JoyCons and a Pro controller).
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

“There is no change to our continuing [Wii U] production.
    […]
    Even though the Nintendo Switch is slated to go on sale, [Wii U] production is scheduled to continue.”
    http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/eu...ntendo-denies/

So yea, much like when it was rumored months ago Nintendo is yet again saying it's false. It's not like Nintendo is producing Wii Us like it's hot, they slowed production down in late 2013. As long as they still keep selling the minimal amount they produce, which are being sold at a profit they will likely keep producing them in small quantities for the near future. We're talking about the same company that kept producing gamecubes for months after the launch of the Wii, and the gamecube likely had a much smaller profit margin when they where being fire sold at $99.99.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-11-02 at 12:45 PM.

Could you link me to some of these rumors? I'm pretty sure the rumors that were coming out before the Switch announcement were referencing the Switch tablet itself, so I want to confirm that some of these rumors have been circulating after the announcement. It's also pretty clear that such a controller wouldn't be standard, seeing as there was no such thing in the reveal trailer (just JoyCons and a Pro controller).
    Just because it wasn't. Shown doesn't mean it isn't a touchscreen. The touch screen is multi touch. Also not shown was the fact that the joy Cons support motion control. It wasn't shown because unlike the wii and wiiu they didn't want that to be the focus of the system. The focus is meant to be the fact that it's a hybrid and Nintendo combining their software development efforts to one major platform

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/1...functionality/
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Just because it wasn't. Shown doesn't mean it isn't a touchscreen. The touch screen is multi touch. Also not shown was the fact that the joy Cons support motion control. It wasn't shown because unlike the wii and wiiu they didn't want that to be the focus of the system. The focus is meant to be the fact that it's a hybrid and Nintendo combining their software development efforts to one major platform

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/1...functionality/
    I'm not saying the Switch tablet isn't a touch screen. I'm saying I'm 99% sure you can't take the console out of the dock and use it as a controller while still having the game play on the TV.

I'm not saying the Switch tablet isn't a touch screen. I'm saying I'm 99% sure you can't take the console out of the dock and use it as a controller while still having the game play on the TV.
    If you read the article they point out the fact that since it isn't dual screen that you could replicate a touchscreen via the joy cons motion controls. Also no game would REQUIRE touch, therefore it's a non factor whether it's docked or not

If you read the article they point out the fact that since it isn't dual screen that you could replicate a touchscreen via the joy cons motion controls. Also no game would REQUIRE touch, therefore it's a non factor whether it's docked or not
    I think we're on a different page here. I'm talking about the possibility of Wii-U virtual console games, and why I don't think they would work on the Switch. I'm not talking about Switch games.