Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Nintendo hasn't given up on the Wii U really, what has rubbed people wrong is Nintendo's incompetence to actually talk about their 2016 lineup which in all likelihood includes Zelda, a Zelda remaster, #FE, Pokken, a Donkey Kong game, Pikmin 4 and possibly others along with Star Fox. In reality Nintendo will release more first party games on the Wii U in 2016 then MS will on the Xbox One...
    Maybe I should've said some.

And with the Wii U getting more first party releases than the XBO, that's a feature. :P

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    The director of FFXIV wants to negotiate with Nintendo on making a port if they are willing to do cross-platform gameplay with PCs and the PS4.
    Didn't know that. There is more of a chance it happens on the NX then on the Xb1 tho.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    I think 5 year profitable life cycles will be the norm from this point on. Every 4-6 years a new gen will come out instead of 7-8 years. Smaller leaps in tech, but they will make them have hardware that is profitable at their price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Won't happen. The hardware is already suffering. Look at Halo 5 losing split screen infavor of higher fps/res.

Games are already starting to suffer on this gen more so with XB1 over Ps4 but still.
    im pretty sure they just took out split screen because they didnt wanna make split screen. you can still splitscreen multiplayer on halo 5 just fine.

I dont see any games suffering, just lazy devs.

devs have been dragging their feet this whole gen, tbh i dont even expect another xbox.

ps5 maybe 6 or 7 years from now, thats about it
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dropping the Wii-U isn't soon at all really. Each gen besides last was only 4-5 years long. The Wii-U has been out since 2012 so come 2016 that gives it 4 years. The boat hasn't really sailed for Nintendo.
    4-5 years? Sorry, the length of generations is defined by "consensus". Last gen was nearly 9 years.

The ever increasing length of game development schedules probably contributes too - GTA V took 5 years to make.

The good thing is Nintendo has the cash to try to pull this stunt off.
    Nintendo "fans" keep tell me Nintendo has a lot of money.

If they have so much money, why couldn't they release a console comparable with the PS4 and Xbone?

FFS. Sony who is has been on the brink of insolvency managed to create the PS4!

Instead they keep trying stupid "tricks" like gimmicks, trying to one up the PS4/Xbone by releasing early, and now they are trying to one up the the PS4/Xbone by releasing "late".

Just release at the same time as Sony and MS and go head to head with them like a man. They supposedly have more money than Sony right?
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2015-10-17 at 05:54 AM.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    4-5 years? Sorry, the length of generations is defined by "consensus". Last gen was nearly 9 years.

The ever increasing length of game development schedules probably contributes too - GTA V took 5 years to make.

Nintendo "fans" keep tell me Nintendo has a lot of money.

If they have so much money, why couldn't they release a console comparable with the PS4 and Xbone?

FFS. Sony who is has been on the brink of insolvency managed to create the PS4!

Instead they keep trying stupid "tricks" like gimmicks, trying to one up the PS4/Xbone by releasing early, and now they are trying to one up the the PS4/Xbone by releasing "late".

Just release at the same time as Sony and MS and go head to head with them like a man. They supposedly have more money than Sony right?
    nintendo hadnt had a non profitable year until fairly recently, theyve made more money then anyone in the business even when the gamecube was in 3rd place they never lost profitability, they always made money, never lost.. thats just a fact. even now theyre back to profitability.

i dont see how money has anything to do with what you posted. the wii was a huge success, the wiiu wasnt but still has managed to find a niche and is making them money.

theres nothing that kept the wii from being as powerful as the 360, originally it was, they DECIDED using gamecube tech augmented with motion controls would be the better decision and ultimately they were right, had nothing to do with money, they just didnt want to.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    im pretty sure they just took out split screen because they didnt wanna make split screen. you can still splitscreen multiplayer on halo 5 just fine.
    There is no splitscreen in Halo 5.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hal.../1100-6429819/
    Microsoft's announcement that Halo 5: Guardians will not have split-screen support for its campaign or multiplayer modes has not sat well with some fans--and they're letting the company know.
    They can say whatever they wish but in order to keep 1080p/60fps splitscreen had to go. Dam near all games this gen on both Ps4 and XB1 have taken a hit in fps if they went split screen.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    nintendo hadnt had a non profitable year until fairly recently, theyve made more money then anyone in the business even when the gamecube was in 3rd place they never lost profitability, they always made money, never lost.. thats just a fact. even now theyre back to profitability.

i dont see how money has anything to do with what you posted. the wii was a huge success, the wiiu wasnt but still has managed to find a niche and is making them money.
    The Wii was lightning in a bottle. Short term profit appealing to the mainstream with gimmicks - while Sony and Microsoft build cred with gamers. Now the gimmick has out stayed it's welcome with fickle public ... they have nothing.

theres nothing that kept the wii from being as powerful as the 360, originally it was, they DECIDED using gamecube tech augmented with motion controls would be the better decision and ultimately they were right, had nothing to do with money, they just didnt want to.
    Don't want to? Not wanting to has lead to the Wii U.

/shrug

They can continue playing second fiddle to Sony and Microsoft I suppose - a position they have occupied since the N64.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Those Dragonquest games are also on mobile and 3ds, hardly telling of anything hardware wise.

And no, the handheld NX can't be more powerful then the PS3 unless you think Nintendo is dumb enough to throw a $600+ handheld on the market...
    And none of them are close to being the same in graphics. The difference between the PS4 and 3DS versions is like night and day if you look at the footage. The 3DS doesn't have the smooth lines and texture depth that the PS4 version has.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no splitscreen in Halo 5.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hal.../1100-6429819/

They can say whatever they wish but in order to keep 1080p/60fps splitscreen had to go. Dam near all games this gen on both Ps4 and XB1 have taken a hit in fps if they went split screen.
    Do you know what that is called? It's called cutting corners and making compromises. The Xbone and PS4 have such mediocre hardware that they have to cut corners at every turn in order to make their games. And it is already public knowledge that very few console games are actually able to run at 1080p. The shitty AMD Jaguar processors are too fucking slow and can't compute fast enough to be able to process anything and the graphics cards aren't nearly powerful enough to give sustainable frame rates with the high polygon and texture counts of modern games, not to mention physics and other rendering issues like draw distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post

Do you know what that is called? It's called cutting corners and making compromises. The Xbone and PS4 have such mediocre hardware that they have to cut corners at every turn in order to make their games. And it is already public knowledge that very few console games are actually able to run at 1080p. The shitty AMD Jaguar processors are too fucking slow and can't compute fast enough to be able to process anything and the graphics cards aren't nearly powerful enough to give sustainable frame rates with the high polygon and texture counts of modern games, not to mention physics and other rendering issues like draw distance.
    I know that was the point I was making in my original post about halo 5.

The NX has to be more powerful then Ps4/XB1 or at lease as powerful. If its less then those two its dead in the water from the start.

I know that was the point I was making in my original post about halo 5.

The NX has to be more powerful then Ps4/XB1 or at lease as powerful. If its less then those two its dead in the water from the start.
    The PS4 and XB1 are not even close in technical terms. The PS4 gpu is 50% faster. Yes, 50%. Yet the Xbone can run the same games as it(albeit usually worse in resolution, framerate or both). It's not as black and white as you claim. So claiming the NX *must* be as powerful as 2 things that aren't even close in terms of raw power sounds rather silly. The NX could easily be in the middle between both of them and run all multi plats, it could be slightly weaker then xbone and run them, it could me more powerful then ps4 and run them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it needs to be 'faster' purely for the mindset people have nowadays, if they see a weaker console fanboys go all crazy, I don't truly think a stronger console is needed right now outside of the whole, hurdur 30fps 1080p crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    It's not and never has been that important. People talk for days about better and better grapbics and then the games are shit BUT they totally have super realistic grass models! If you take Windwaker and put up against almost anything on PS3 or 360 it still looks better. Nintendo is all about the style and gameplay not trying to push the limits for the sake of it.

Even when Gamecube was more powerful than XBox and PS2 it wasn't just because they could they still designed their games with style and gameplay in mind.
    The gamecube was not more powerful then the Xbox.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/08/25/gamecube-vs-xbox

As you can see the Gamecube was stronger then the PS2 but the Xbox ran circles around both of them specs wise. Hell, on top of that the xbox was the first console capable of using shaders which also was a massive boost that you don't see in the specs.

Also this shows how much power matters when the ps2 was an absolute joke specs wise but roflstomped both of them. Same could be said of the original Wii albeit by a much smaller margin.

People will buy what the hot product is regardless of how strong it is. Nintendo needs something to make it a hot product. Being stronger then the ps4 is not going to make it magically a hot product.

http://www.nintendoforums.com/thread...63/#post-12572

Hi, found this thread through neogaf. I am a mid level-ish environment artist/designer at Ubisoft, and our office did get the SDK this week. I wasn't technically supposed to see it but was working late Friday and managed to sneak a peek of others playing with the demos. Can't comment on the fps specifically, but both demos I saw seemed to be running fine on our (relatively decked out) machine. One of the demos particularly looked gorgeous, and the impression around the office is that people are pleasantly surprised with this kind of focus on graphics from Nintendo. I'm not working on anything Nintendo-related and can't confirm anything else, but I can agree with the processing power statements. It should be an exciting little machine and from what I see, fun to develop for.

People will buy what the hot product is regardless of how strong it is. Nintendo needs something to make it a hot product. Being stronger then the ps4 is not going to make it magically a hot product.
    I do agree, but on that note too, wasn't one of the newest systems selling at a loss of profit? Like the PS4 I thought, it cost more to make it than it was selling for?

I mean, I'd imagine even if Nintendo did try going for a more powerful system, they could sell it at a loss so that more people buy it to buy their exclusives, where they can make up for the loss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I do agree, but on that note too, wasn't one of the newest systems selling at a loss of profit? Like the PS4 I thought, it cost more to make it than it was selling for?

I mean, I'd imagine even if Nintendo did try going for a more powerful system, they could sell it at a loss so that more people buy it to buy their exclusives, where they can make up for the loss.
    I'm pretty sure the PlayStation 4 was not sold at a loss this time.

Edit: its conflicting some sources said it wasn't some said it did.http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/15...e-sold-at-loss
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2015-10-17 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I think it needs to be 'faster' purely for the mindset people have nowadays, if they see a weaker console fanboys go all crazy, I don't truly think a stronger console is needed right now outside of the whole, hurdur 30fps 1080p crowd.
    To be clear only reason I say it needs to be as powerful as the Ps4/XB1 is because of 3rd party support. No company is going to want to water down there game anymore so it works on a hugely weaker system.

As long as its a stable 30fps I could give a fuck less if its 1080p/720p. I would trade 1080p for 720p if it ment 60fps.

- - - Updated - - -

At first the Ps4 was selling at a loss and then they made profit really early. I think it was around the 5 million sold mark they annouced the Ps4 is selling at a profit. The XboxOne on the other hand is not nore has it sold at a profit even more so since they have lost so much on the Kinect.

The PS4 sold at a loss initially but was profitable with a PS+ sub or 1 game purchase so it really wasn't much of a loss as people are likely to buy both of those with one, let alone just one.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Yeah but having 3rd party games being the definitive version on their system could also be an attractive selling point. It is going to be hard to sell a system when other devices already have an install base. Price and release titles are going to be determining factors in whether the system does well.

Nintendo needs to find and acquire more RPG development studios :O

As a hardcore RPG fan upgraded from a SNES to a GBA to a 3DS as a result. Bought Xenoblade to play on a friend's Wii.

Meanwhile, I've picked up PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4. :O