Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I think a 128gb Internal storage would have been fine for how much smaller Switches games look.
    Still a bit on the small end IMO, but I'd be totally fine with it. It would at least be closer to being in-line with capacity vs. game size for Xbox One/PS4 base models with the 500GB HDD's.

Honestly have to wonder how much it would have driven production costs up, because it would have left them in a better position digitally, and they definitely need to bring their A game across the board on digital now that they're finally trying to catch up to what Xbox and Playstation have had for a long, long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who know, maybe they will sell a pro bundle this holiday with a bigger HD, a game, and a pro controller for like 399.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Who know, maybe they will sell a pro bundle this holiday with a bigger HD, a game, and a pro controller for like 399.
    More than likely yeah. Depends on production and demand. I'd be fine paying extra for more internal storage merely for convenience, but I'd still be getting a microSDXC card for it. The USB ports on the dock could be used to backup games that you aren't playing as well. Storage was certainly an oversight but I think Nintendo was trying to get the product to market with a price that was as attractive as possible.

I could see an option for a 2.5" hard drive bay for the dock. That does come with issues for those who swap back and forth between docked and mobile use with having the game library or saves on the dock being unavailable while mobile. The expandable storage will likely take care of the typical user. I do think internal storage should of been larger.
    Last edited by Greenmagoo; 2017-01-18 at 04:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ezgeze View Post
    Oh really? Well no shit, thanks for the heads up.
    Looks at my New 3DS ..........can hold 3-4+ games without upgraded micro HD card.
    Looks at Switch HD ..............can hold 3-4+ games without upgraded micro HD card.

And this is suddenly a problem how.

- - - Updated - - -

The switch comes with an extra slot available and currently empty for the micro sd card. Honestly people, the HD space will not be an issue if you plan appropriately and not expect to DL every game digitally, if you do plan on doing every game as a DL, get a micro hd that is 128 or higher.
    3ds games > Switch games right?? Not sure on your source for 3 switch games being stored on what is likely to be 28gb of space.

Given that reading from a cart is typically faster than reading from optical discs, are Switch games actually going to use local installs for non-digital copies? If they don't, then that makes a pretty substantial difference when it comes to storage requirements - unlike with the PS4/Xbox One, a user who buys physical games will require only a very small amount of onboard storage.

Given that, I think it makes sense to have modest onboard storage and use SD cards for people who need more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    Given that reading from a cart is typically faster than reading from optical discs, are Switch games actually going to use local installs for non-digital copies? If they don't, then that makes a pretty substantial difference when it comes to storage requirements - unlike with the PS4/Xbox One, a user who buys physical games will require only a very small amount of onboard storage.

Given that, I think it makes sense to have modest onboard storage and use SD cards for people who need more.
    DLC and updates will still need to go on the drive. I don't think it's anywhere near as big a problem but still, would have been nice.

Whilst indie games are generally not large, many won't want to produce physical media either.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    DLC and updates will still need to go on the drive. I don't think it's anywhere near as big a problem but still, would have been nice.

Whilst indie games are generally not large, many won't want to produce physical media either.
    Nintendo is promoting this as a hybrid handheld home console, it needs to be reliable on both fronts and not be a device of compromise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did I just read that the HD for the Switch will be a lousy 32GB? What is this? 2006? I might expect that on the Wii U but for a modern day console? That is pathetic! I have a Wii U with 32 GB's and that isn't even close too enough storage. I think the Wii U uses about 5 gigs just for operating (so 27GB), so I can conclude that the switch will probably use about 12GB which will leave you with only 20GB!

News just keeps getting worse for this new system.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2017-01-18 at 05:13 PM.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ninte...preview-2017-1

So, apparently no Netflix and lacking "many" multimedia functions at launch.

Again, it's like Nintendo is actively trying to make sure the Switch is dead on arrival.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd have though It'd be the usual gushing at Nintendo but that was very apathetic to the system. Hand cramp is pretty much guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Again, it's like Nintendo is actively trying to make sure the Switch is dead on arrival.
    tendo did that on purpose. they wanted the switch to be presented as a gaming focus machine so no streaming apps at launch

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Did I just read that the HD for the Switch will be a lousy 32GB? What is this? 2006? I might expect that on the Wii U but for a modern day console? That is pathetic! I have a Wii U with 32 GB's and that isn't even close too enough storage. I think the Wii U uses about 5 gigs just for operating (so 27GB), so I can conclude that the switch will probably use about 12GB which will leave you with only 20GB!

its a handheld. where do you expect them to put the hd at? zelda, which is likely to be the biggest game on the system outside of maybe xenoblade is only 13gb.

and you can use sd cards to get more space
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Jesus Christ, even the Vita and Wii U had netflix at launch ffs...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    tendo did that on purpose. they wanted the switch to be presented as a gaming focus machine so no streaming apps at launch
    Sony emphasized games as well but had those features at launch. It's not like you need to devote stage time to having netflix, it's a common feature people expect on any living room OR mobile device these days. The switch is both and doesn't have it /facepalm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Jesus Christ, even the Vita and Wii U had netflix at launch ffs...

- - - Updated - - -

Sony emphasized games as well but had those features at launch. It's not like you need to devote stage time to having netflix, it's a common feature people expect on any living room OR mobile device these days. The switch is both and doesn't have it /facepalm.
    im not saying theyre right. i agree they should be there. thats just what they said.
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Sauce for Nintendo saying this? Because otherwise I'm calling complete and total bullshit. Then again, the reasoning is about as stupid as half the other decisions with this console so far, so ironically you may be accidentally correct.

its a handheld. where do you expect them to put the hd at? zelda, which is likely to be the biggest game on the system outside of maybe xenoblade is only 13gb.

Switch supports up to 2 TB MSD cards(which don't even exist for consumers) and comes with 32 GB one. PS4 supports up to 2 TB HDDs and comes with either a 500GB or 1TB one depending on model.

I don't think it would be asking THAT much of Nintendo for the thing to come with a 128 MSD card. They're only like $15-20 more then 32GB for CONSUMERS, which means they're likely jack shit for Nintendo.

- - - Updated - - -

Sauce for Nintendo saying this? Because otherwise I'm calling complete and total bullshit. Then again, the reasoning is about as stupid as half the other decisions with this console so far, so ironically you may be accidentally correct.
    I cant seem to find it atm. ill keep looking

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Switch supports up to 2 TB MSD cards(which don't even exist for consumers) and comes with 32 GB one. PS4 supports up to 2 TB HDDs and comes with either a 500GB or 1TB one depending on model.

I don't think it would be asking THAT much of Nintendo for the thing to come with a 128 MSD card. They're only like $15-20 more then 32GB for CONSUMERS, which means they're likely jack shit for Nintendo.
    yeah they shouldve included a slightly bigger sd card

10+ Year Old Account

Wrong, it is a home console/hand held hyrbrid.

Why should I have to pay more for stuff that should be included in a new system? Especially for a new system where the future library of games is very uncertain?
    Last edited by zEmini; 2017-01-18 at 06:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post

We've touched on this. It's not as bad as you think. Yes you'll need storage eventually but unless you're going full digital at launch it's a non-issue. Games play from their own cards. Patches, DLC etc will fill it up probably in the first year though. Plenty of time to pick out your SD card/size/speed of choice. And time to wait and see if they allow USB externals.
    Last edited by OGXanos; 2017-01-18 at 06:11 PM.

It should have been there, but I highly doubt a lack of Netflix or Youtube will stop someone from buying the Switch at launch.

Just seems more like an issue of "We really did push this out the door quickly"