My Niece just handed me her Switch with Stardew on.

It's absolutely more than playable without touch controls. It does not need them.

So yeah basically getting a bit over dramatic here over nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    What does Brig not playing the game have to do with sales numbers?
    one is a niche japanese series only on 3ds that has had its name stolen in america so many fans dont even KNOW that story of seasons is harvest moon and the other is an indie game that got promotion on multiple gaming outlets and is on every platform currently available from tablets to consoles

so no, im not surprised that stardew valley has sold more. i bet mario odyssey will sell more than a hat in time too
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

It's absolutely more than playable without touch controls. It does not need them.

That's underselling it, I think he needs to chill before he has a dam heart attack.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    one is a niche japanese series only on 3ds that has had its name stolen in america so many fans dont even KNOW that story of seasons is harvest moon and the other is an indie game that got promotion on multiple gaming outlets and is on every platform currently available from tablets to consoles

so no, im not surprised that stardew valley has sold more. i bet mario odyssey will sell more than a hat in time too
    Story of Seasons has gotten plenty of media coverage, dude. Just look at the outlets reviewing both games -

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/story-of-seasons
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/s...-trio-of-towns

Which has around the same number of reviews as Stardew Valley does on PC -

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/stardew-valley

Yeah, Stardew got on that indie darling hype train, but let's not pretend Story of Seasons is some unknown little property that doesn't get any attention from media.

I mean if you really want two valid complaints about games on Switch.

Games that can't even install unless you buy an SD card.

Games that are/were poorly optimized. Minecraft not being able to hold 30 at 720P being a prime example or BotW early on.

But a game not having touch controls when it can be played fine with a controller? Stretching it a bit there.

Dragging a mouse cursor around with an analogue stick is not my definition of playable, but we all have our own standards. A game with real time day progression at that, the difference between playing the game with a controller vs mouse could literally be hours in your day wasted.

It's a great game but it's console ports are shit and lazy.(Not just Switch but all of them). PC gamers will cry a mile if a game is not optmized for KB/Mouse controls but when the opposite is true it gets swept under the rug.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-10-05 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Dragging a mouse cursor around with an analogue stick is not my definition of playable, but we all have our own standards.

It's a great game but it's console ports are shit and lazy.
    I disagree. I have it on PS4. I have no trouble playing this. It's perfectly playable. I'm sat on a Switch right now and it's just fine with the Joycons.

You are entitled to your own standards but saying it's not playable because of no touch controls is stretching. It's more than playable.

I play it with a controller on PC too and it's more than fine.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-10-05 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Story of Seasons has gotten plenty of media coverage, dude. Just look at the outlets reviewing both games -

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/story-of-seasons
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/s...-trio-of-towns

Which has around the same number of reviews as Stardew Valley does on PC -

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/stardew-valley

Yeah, Stardew got on that indie darling hype train, but let's not pretend Story of Seasons is some unknown little property that doesn't get any attention from media.
    How many people in North America even know that story of seasons is harvest moon? Most people see it and don't even know that's what it is and then they pick up the harvest Moon made by natsume and say "what the fuck is this? This games garbage"
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

How many people in North America even know that story of seasons is harvest moon? Most people see it and don't even know that's what it is and then they pick up the harvest Moon made by natsume and say "what the fuck is this? This games garbage"
    Ah so you know what most people think do you?

I doubt that but keep going.

Dragging a mouse cursor around with an analogue stick is not my definition of playable, but we all have our own standards. A game with real time day progression at that, the difference between playing the game with a controller vs mouse could literally be hours in your day wasted.

It's a great game but it's console ports are shit and lazy.(Not just Switch but all of them). PC gamers will cry a mile if a game is not optmized for KB/Mouse controls but when the opposite is true it gets swept under the rug.
    Me and tech agree on something, clearly one of the seven seals of hell have broken

Me and tech agree on something, clearly one of the seven seals of hell have broken
    Yep you agree on an opinion that while you are entitled to is way over the top in your presentation of it.

The game isn't suddenly the work of the devil because it has no touch controls.

How many people give a fuck about Harvest Moon?

Based on this. (Sells are not 100%)
    http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Harvest+Moon

I would say not many.

Highest sold one is not even 1 million copy's sold.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep you agree on an opinion that while you are entitled to is way over the top in your presentation of it.
    Agreed.

(Not me and Eleccybubb agree on something, The world is truly ending)

Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

So we're moving goalposts from, "But Stardew got tons of press attention!" to "But nobody knows SoS is Harvest Moon!"?

You're right, there are probably still quite a few folks who don't know. But based on Stardew Valley, that shouldn't matter, no? How do you account for Stardew Valley's popularity given that it has no attachment to Harvest Moon, then?

I disagree. I have it on PS4. I have no trouble playing this. It's perfectly playable. I'm sat on a Switch right now and it's just fine with the Joycons.

You are entitled to your own standards but saying it's not playable because of no touch controls is stretching. It's more than playable.

I play it with a controller on PC too and it's more than fine.
    You can disagree about it being playable all you want. The fact you will waste time in every day on a controller due to the game not functioning properly with them remains a fact.

Especially in a game that is really about min maxing your time. That is unplayable to me, and many other people. The port and controller controls are dog shit for how the game and genre is made. Wasting 15 mins of in game time to move a slow ass cursor with your analog stick across the screen is not great gameplay for a time management sim.

You can disagree about it being playable all you want. The fact you will waste time in every day on a controller due to the game not functioning properly with them remains a fact.

Especially in a game that is really about min maxing your time. That is unplayable to me, and many other people. The port and controller controls are dog shit for how the game and genre is made.
    And again you are entitled to your opinion.

So we're moving goalposts from, "But Stardew got tons of press attention!" to "But nobody knows SoS is Harvest Moon!"?

You're right, there are probably still quite a few folks who don't know. But based on Stardew Valley, that shouldn't matter, no? How do you account for Stardew Valley's popularity given that it has no attachment to Harvest Moon, then?
    Didn't you read his other posts? He blames it on "Indie Hype" whatever in the fuck that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Didn't you read his other posts? He blames it on "Indie Hype" whatever in the fuck that is.
    Indie Hype?

Thanks man. Just spat out my Coffee from absolute laughter.

I'm not sure why stardew got so popular, the same could be said of fire emblem awakening. Harvest moon and farming Sims were never a super popular genre in the first place so I guess it just got lucky

Indie Hype?

Thanks man. Just spat out my Coffee from absolute laughter.
    Your welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    If you don't know what it is clearly you don't game on PC, this happens regularly.

Fez
    Undertale
    Binding of Isaac
    Super meatboy
    Minecraft
    Five nights at Freddy's
    Terraria

The PC community will frequently find a semi decent to good indie game and it will catch on like wild fire due to multiple factors, steam sales, the way steam promotes, and most importantly YouTubers. Without YouTubers games like Minecraft and Terraria wouldn't be world wide known phenoms