Question from a new player :)

Hey, so I've got the free trial account to have a go at the game while WoW is quiet, but wanted to ask some questions, as I don't know anyone else who plays...

1. the world map seems really small. I started in a city called Uldar, but it seems to take up a huge portion of the map - is there much open world to actually explore?

2. I'm playing alone so are there are some Looking for group tools so I can do dungeons etc?

3. I mainly enjoyed collecting things in WoW (mounts/pets/xmog), are there many pets and things to collect in this game apart from the chocobos?

any answers much appreciated!!

10+ Year Old Account
    1. The game has "zones", unlike WoW where you go everywhere in 1 swift movement, in FFXIV you have separate zones. The game currently has 22 zones including cities, you are only in Ul'dah, you will later move onto zones that isn't link to any cities, and zones that are linked to other main cities.

2. There are Dungeon Finder tool, you will start using it around 18 I think? With first dungeon available at 15 I believe?

3. There are not as many mount as WoW and most of the special ones are collected via quest, veteran reward and other means, only a portion are farm from battles. There are many pets in game, and in my opinions the pets in FFXIV are much better made than the pets in WoW. And yes there are Transmog, but in FFXIV we call that Glamour, you can also dye most gear. Once you have your "companion chocobo", there are also many bardings to collect. Here is a mount list, shame not all of them got pictures (especially the Fenrir mount): http://mmomounts.com/ffxiv-mounts

And if you like collecting stuff, GL collecting all the cards. If you played FF8, you will know there is a card game where you can battle NPC and such. Triple Triad is now in the game, you can challenge selective NPCs, as well as random players for some card game. But you will need to collect some good cards first.

- - - Updated - - -

And a minion (pet) list:

http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Minions
    Last edited by Grym; 2015-04-21 at 09:05 PM.

Great stuff, thanks!

My input:

1. the world map seems really small. I started in a city called Uldar, but it seems to take up a huge portion of the map - is there much open world to actually explore?
    The zones aren't massive, but they aren't small either. You'll be on foot or later on mount for all your travel, sans the ability to teleport to zone towns from anywhere for a small fee. Overall, the size feels like a good balance for the travel methods. In the expansion, zones are reportedly larger than the current ones, but that will also have flying mounts.

As Grym mentioned, it's divided into zones. From what I've read, that's going to change with the 2nd expansion as they may be dropping PS3 support at that point. But that's rumor. The zoning isn't all that long to me, though. Not a big deal to lose 10 seconds.

2. I'm playing alone so are there are some Looking for group tools so I can do dungeons etc?
    There are two options. You'll unlock duty finder later, which is like WoW's LFG where you'll get put into the dungeon you select (or you can choose random roulette options, which is advised at least once a day for xp boosts). The other option will be in the bottom right with all your other menu called "Party" where you can then select "Party Finder." That's more used for endgame stuff, but basically it's where people post "This is what we're doing and need more people, would you like to join?" You'll find raid farming, spirit binding parties, FATE parties (these are good for leveling at times), etc.

3. I mainly enjoyed collecting things in WoW (mounts/pets/xmog), are there many pets and things to collect in this game apart from the chocobos?
    Not as many mounts, but plenty of pets available from different methods.

Regarding mounts: There may not be as many, but your chocobo is more than just "ride from A to B" as you can train it to fight alongside you. The chocobo levels up, learns abilities (train it as tank, DPS, or healer), and will be able to learn to fly in the expansion as well. With housing (personal or Free Company ((aka guild)) ), you can also feed them foods to change their feather coloring. And instead of collecting mounts, you could collect different barding for your chocobo to wear.

I'd also say you could save up gil (a helluva lot of gil) for a house. There aren't many available, if any, on most servers right now, but should be more added in the expansion. Once you have a house, you can start collecting furniture to display in there as well. You can get drops from raids that crafters can make into trophies, like a replica of Ifrit's head on the wall, a Behemoth head on the wall (looks good over fireplace. Quite intimidating!), a couch from Garuda, etc, etc.

You'll also be able to level every class on one character, so no need for alts. That means you can consider armors/weapons as another area for collecting if you want, though that will start to gobble up inventory storage after a while.

And I wouldn't have even thought about Triple Triad. Good addition from Grym there. Damn addictive card game *grumble grumble*
    Last edited by Faroth; 2015-04-22 at 01:17 PM.

Thanks for the detailed responses I'm enjoying it so far, of course it takes some time to 'find your feet' in a new MMO. Though I will say, the music and zone aesthetics so far feel much more generic than WoW.

The housing and chocobo training sounds right up my street though, and as you say, flying mounts next expansion to work for

Cheers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyTides View Post
    Thanks for the detailed responses I'm enjoying it so far, of course it takes some time to 'find your feet' in a new MMO. Though I will say, the music and zone aesthetics so far feel much more generic than WoW.

The housing and chocobo training sounds right up my street though, and as you say, flying mounts next expansion to work for

Cheers
    Ok the zone aesthetics I can see why you d feel that way after all it comes down to personal prefference. The music though is subjectively light years better than WoW especially in boss fights and trials.
    Last edited by mmoc29acf4d9f4; 2015-04-23 at 09:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zone:
    You are still mostly in Ul'Dah area, which is very "dessert" style, with Limsa being more ocean/pirate, and Gridania being more forest/mystical, Ishgard being snowed under, you do get to see a lot of very different atmosphere later.

Music:
    Music is WAY better than WoW (I know it is subjective), as Sahlamuhla said, especially boss fight and Trial. If you played any FF before, you would know the summons are a big part of FF, and in FFXIV, every summon battle has their own "theme tune", some examples (spoiler alert!!!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuQMcY-rE3s Leviathan fight, the music starts in 7:17 (phase 2)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_jUOel9BuQ Shiva fight, music starts 4:58 (phase 2)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQQiySKZBag Moogle fight, music starts 3:53 (phase 2)

I just don't see how most other game compete in terms of music, even dungeon themes are very good (wait until you enter Pharo).

The Ramuh fight theme... /shiver

If you don't care for the wailing at the beginning, skip to about 45 seconds. but me personally, I love the whole thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Zone:
    You are still mostly in Ul'Dah area, which is very "dessert" style, with Limsa being more ocean/pirate, and Gridania being more forest/mystical, Ishgard being snowed under, you do get to see a lot of very different atmosphere later.

Music:
    Music is WAY better than WoW (I know it is subjective), as Sahlamuhla said, especially boss fight and Trial. If you played any FF before, you would know the summons are a big part of FF, and in FFXIV, every summon battle has their own "theme tune", some examples (spoiler alert!!!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuQMcY-rE3s Leviathan fight, the music starts in 7:17 (phase 2)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_jUOel9BuQ Shiva fight, music starts 4:58 (phase 2)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQQiySKZBag Moogle fight, music starts 3:53 (phase 2)

I just don't see how most other game compete in terms of music, even dungeon themes are very good (wait until you enter Pharo).
    Great game, but no thanks. I much prefer the highly orchestral feels-inducing compositions in WoW. Most of FFXIV's stuff does indeed sound like generic Asian video game music from the 90s.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Zone:

Music:

Oh God Pharos Sirius was a masterpiece

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.

Uldar is one of the main three cities in FFXIV the other 2 are Gridania and Limsa Lominsa. The world map itself consists of the three main territories and the a few other zones. This Map Site can show you how big the world is. Yeah it is pretty large overall however each area is instanced so you will load in to each area.

Yes, you have the Duty Finder which will pair you with others. At low levels if you are a DPS you will see some wait times up to 30 minutes. Low Level Roulette becomes available at level 16 your first dungeon unlocks at 15. As you progress through the main story quests you will unlock these dungeons. You also unlock the
    ability to do guildhests at 10 which give a bonus each first time doing them. There are 2 available every 5 levels after hitting level 10 and you must do the proceeding ones to unlock the next.
    Yes, there are companion pets you can collect as well as mounts completing certain achievements or quests can reward them most are random drops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladey Gags View Post
    Great game, but no thanks. I much prefer the highly orchestral feels-inducing compositions in WoW. Most of FFXIV's stuff does indeed sound like generic Asian video game music from the 90s.
    Hence I said subjective, to each their own.

For WoW, I like the Ashenvale music, Sindragosa theme, but can't really think of any other pieces that particularly well made, but again, different people different taste.

If by generic Asian video game music from the 90s, you mean the pop and/or rock stuff going on...then that's pretty rare compared to most of the rest of the soundtrack (which I happen to have, and have listened to all 119 songs on it that were in the game as of when it launched).

You're far more likely to hear things like:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7ForHMX-xs - I Am the Sea
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rN3dRhqo5M - The Dragon's Dirge
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuAIc9e45uw - Midgardsormr's Theme
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx3QPiTcXa4 - Penitus (lot of people speed run through the trash sections of this dungeon that can be skipped by teleporting)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSKNntvdRJk - Wailers and Waterwheels
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4UOPAOB0kg - To The Sun

For me, the main difference is that the music in FF14 is meant to stand out more as part of the experience of a particular dungeon, zone, or other such thing. WoW's often starts off with strong notes to get your attention (think Stormwind), then fades a bit to mostly sit in the background.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is this a joke? Opinions are one thing, but this is just hilarious.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Is this a joke? Opinions are one thing, but this is just hilarious.
    That's what I thought too XD

Quote Originally Posted by Scufflegrit View Post
    The Ramuh fight theme... /shiver

If you don't care for the wailing at the beginning, skip to about 45 seconds. but me personally, I love the whole thing.
    each to their own it's good music for sure, and fits the game, but I find the orchestral instruments of WoW/skyrim more to my taste. I'll never forget first setting foot in wow and hearing the mulgore theme - its so sad and serene, just pulled me straight into the feel of the place

each to their own it's good music for sure, and fits the game, but I find the orchestral instruments of WoW/skyrim more to my taste. I'll never forget first setting foot in wow and hearing the mulgore theme - its so sad and serene, just pulled me straight into the feel of the place
    I felt the same way my first time running through Limsa Lominsa and hearing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7ForHMX-xs - or the 30 second mark in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4UOPAOB0kg - when it started playing my first time running through Thanalan (it was even as dawn was breaking, and the name of the song is To the Sun - couldn't have been more appropriate).

As fun as the primal fight music can be, the zone music like the two I linked do a lot more to pull me in.

SkyTides, reply to this if you see this post so I know you've seen it.

I am surprised no one has posted you any of FFXIV's orchestrated music. FFXIV does have that kind of epic music, plus some other good music different from what has been posted. Here are 3 examples. I am 100% certain you will like at least 1 of these....

Ultima Weapon trial (make sure to listen until the song picks up at 1:18, but don't skip to 1:18 as the orchestra at start adds to the atmosphere)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZZDnlAg3Pk

Pharos Sirius dungeon (it's worth listening to this to at least the same point as Ultima)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7rn578NdiE

The Second Coil of Bahamut - Turn 9 (this one has multiple parts where music switches up, but it is epic, be sure to listen to switch at 1:30 and listen all the way until the drums kick in at 2:18, the part starting 1:30 before it sets the stage, also listen from 6:10 to 8:00, unless you absolutely hate that part)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DX3qIf4EDc

Hey, so I've got the free trial account to have a go at the game while WoW is quiet, but wanted to ask some questions, as I don't know anyone else who plays...

1. Yes, you are only in one of the starting places. Ul'dah is the major city in Thanalan. Thanalan is made up of multiple zones, some bigger than others. It's a desert region. Gridania is the major city in the Black Shroud, a forest region. Black Shroud consists of multiple zones, some bigger than others. Limsa Lominsa is a seaside city in LaNoscea. LaNoscea is a plains/hills region next to the sea that consists of multiple zones, some bigger than others. Coerthas is a large region with only one big zone at moment, but another zone in the Coerthas region will be unlock with expansion. Mor Dhona is a large endgame zone, and Revenant's Toll, a small settlement here, is the most populated area in the game where most endgame peeps hang around. Heavensward expansion is suppose to have just as much content as A Realm Reborn did at launch. It has fewer zones, but the zones are much larger than any in A Realm Reborn that cover roughly the same land area total. So the game will be doubled in land area.

2. Yes, you will unlock the duty finder when you unlock your first dungeon around level 15.

3. There are lots of mounts to collect, though not as many as WoW since it's been out longer. There are 118 minions to collect. And there are 80 triple triad cards to collect. As you probably already expected, more mounts, minions, and triple triad cards will be released over time with patches.
    Last edited by Starlightz85; 2015-05-15 at 10:52 PM.

Thanks for your post starlight, I'm listening to these tracks now

As I mentioned to you, the Midgardsomir battle music is just fantastic. I'm starting to find my way round the game now, did my first dungeon last night which was way longer than I expected haha

Thanks for your post starlight, I'm listening to these tracks now

As I mentioned to you, the Midgardsomir battle music is just fantastic. I'm starting to find my way round the game now, did my first dungeon last night which was way longer than I expected haha
    Glad you found some. Since you like collecting stuff, here is a site dedicated to minions and mounts that I think you will find quite useful:
    http://www.xiv-minions.com/

And for Triple Triad cards:
    http://arrtripletriad.com/cards
    http://ffxivtriad.com/

And for all other aspects of the game, this site is a very useful tool:
    http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/FF14_Wiki

Hope this stuff proves useful. ^_~