EGX is the 24th and CA have said they will show something there, I hope it's good stuff.

Deleted
    Shogun 2 + expansion was last TW for me (and its almost perfect for me), Rome 2 was disaster, I've played full patched version, oh and ingame battles, don't let me start with it. I'm not even into Warhammer universum, so no way I will buy it, even if it is perfect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drakus View Post
    Shogun 2 + expansion was last TW for me (and its almost perfect for me), Rome 2 was disaster, I've played full patched version, oh and ingame battles, don't let me start with it. I'm not even into Warhammer universum, so no way I will buy it, even if it is perfect.
    Their last game was such a fiasco that any chance of me prepurchasing CA's next new game disintegrated the first time I played Rome 2. Still, as time has passed the burn has lessened somewhat. So a few weeks after launch if Steam has a good sale I might consider it. Depending on the reviews of course. After the roasting Angry Joe gave Rome 2 it will be interesting to see what he does with this one.

Last edited by SirRobin; 2015-09-07 at 02:49 PM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Their last game was such a fiasco that any chance of me prepurchasing CA's next new game disintegrated the first time I played Rome 2.
    Attila was their last game, not Rome 2. I agree with you about Rome 2: I found it bland and unchallenging; I could not bring myself to play it for more than a few hours. But Attila was great - my most played Steam game (660 hours atm). It may be my favorite ever TW game I've played (and I've played them all). It has tons of atmosphere, a lot of challenge and perhaps the best AI of the series. I thought I was done with TW after Rome 2, but after Attila, I'm very optimistic about Warhammer. By past experience, it may take them a game or two to get it right, but with 3 planned in the series, they have time.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    Attila was their last game, not Rome 2. I agree with you about Rome 2: I found it bland and unchallenging; I could not bring myself to play it for more than a few hours. But Attila was great - my most played Steam game (660 hours atm). It may be my favorite ever TW game I've played (and I've played them all). It has tons of atmosphere, a lot of challenge and perhaps the best AI of the series. I thought I was done with TW after Rome 2, but after Attila, I'm very optimistic about Warhammer. By past experience, it may take them a game or two to get it right, but with 3 planned in the series, they have time.
    I hope Attila doesnt have mosh pits and units passing through each other ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    Like CA's pre-launch claims about the AI for Rome 2. CA can say Attila is entirely its own game but it certainly didn't feel that way. I tried Atilla too. It felt like Barbarian Invasion 2.0 did compared to the first Rome. Atilla wasn't as bad as Rome 2 was but since it looked like it was pretty much the same code. There should have been no way it could have been as bad considering all the patches that code got after Rome 2's humiliatingly bad launch.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Romano View Post
    I hope Attila doesnt have mosh pits and units passing through each other ?
    Same engine. Soldiers still slide through each other, turn in place and spam kill moves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    Same engine. Soldiers still slide through each other, turn in place and spam kill moves.
    Maybe my computer is too bad, but I don't notice such cosmetic things. I've not noticed one kill move that you say are spammed. I tend to fight battle pretty zoomed out and seldom feel relaxed enough to zoom in and watch the fun up close. Zoomed out the battles feel pretty good - cavalry, missiles and heavy infantry all perform their roles reasonably. The AI is aggressive but not suicidal.

Having played both quite a lot, I would say, Total War battles are comparable to tabletop Warhammer Fantasy as wargames. But Total War arguably has an edge in modelling more factors, more plausibly and delivering the goods much faster (TW battles last bout 10 minutes or so; WHFB about 2 hours) and immeasurably more conveniently (1 CD vs collecting and painting miniature armies).

Attila does what total war has always aspired to do - present fun historical feeling real time battles within a meaningful campaign. The original Shogun and Medieval did this very well too, but we lost some of the challenge and smart AI with Rome 1 when they switched to 3D models on the battle and an open strategic map as opposed to a Risk style one. It took surprisingly long for CA to get back to the quality of the original Shogun and Medieval AI. I think they finally did it with Shogun 2. Rome 2 was a step back but Attila is very similar to Shogun 2 in quality. But it is much bigger geographically and more open in scale, plus I prefer the period/location and "end times" atmosphere.

I don't ask for a lot in terms of AI, so I impressed that in Attila, I typically lose a field battle if outnumbered 2-1 and often feel the need to double up my stacks for protection. That's pretty good for a dumb computer playing a hopefully not too stupid human on a very open complex battlefield.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin
    It felt like Barbarian Invasion ...
    It's very like BI, which also seemed to improve on Rome 1s flaws (in Rome 1, the battles were way too fast and the campaign AI brain dead). Where it improves is that there is a much more sustained challenge as West Romans. In BI, the challenge was more front loaded and you could get your empire into shape in a few turns; in Attila, the empire takes a long time to turn around and all the while, the challenge ramps up as winter and Attila come. Diplomacy in Attila is also surprisingly good - the best so far in the series; if you are diplomatic, you can avoid total war, even as the hated Western Romans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rome 2 is the first game I returned since alien v predator extinction back in 2003. Just an awful game.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Eternal View Post
    These dwarves need to learn forgiveness.

Ofcourse, I'm not saying they shouldn't kill all orcs (I'm fine with that), but the trailer makes it sound like I'm dead man if I as such take a shave or something.

Also, URUKs! Sounds dumb
    If a dwarf has his beard shaved (even against his will) it's a big enough disgrace that the only way to restore honour is to style his hair into a massive orange mohawk and go forth to perish fighting the biggest, nastiest thing he can find.

When the High Elves shaved the beard of a dwarven ambassador it led to a crippling war that was directly responsible for the decline of both races.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see all the dislike for Rome 2.... sure at launch it was a little buggy but no worse than Shogun or Empire. At this point there is a decent amount of variety in terms of nations to choose from, 30 or so, as well. I've put about as much time into Rome 2 as Skyrim and I really can't wait for Warhammer.... it looks so beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    I don't see all the dislike for Rome 2.... sure at launch it was a little buggy but no worse than Shogun or Empire. At this point there is a decent amount of variety in terms of nations to choose from, 30 or so, as well. I've put about as much time into Rome 2 as Skyrim and I really can't wait for Warhammer.... it looks so beautiful.
    So much this. Every Total War game i've bought has been buggy at release (I remember the original Shogun being buggy as hell when it first released, but hell we made do back then, we didn't make a 40 minute bitchfit video like that manchild Angry Joe did, I fucking hate that he likes Total War games), it's just a thing, same as Fallout and Elder Scrolls game, it happens. Rome 2 get's a bad rap because people loved Rome 1, and compared Rome 2 to Rome 1 + Barbarian Invasion, which i've never understood, I always felt that the original Shogun was far superior to Rome 1, and Medieval 2 completely blows it out of the water, but to each his own I suppose.

The only thing i'd have to say against Rome 2 at this point is the nickel and diming that they've done with regards to various factions, but that's an issue with the entire industry at this point and you can't really blame a single developer for it.
    Last edited by mmoc8116b97f51; 2015-09-10 at 05:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved Rome total war, I didn't give 2 the time it needed, so I won't say things like its the worst game ever, but it was an awful 3 hours.

New video of an undergroudn ambush battle between dwarfs and greenskins.

Quote Originally Posted by Throren View Post

Love it, the underground map looks amazing. They will also show more on EGX the 24th I believe.

- - - Updated - - -

There is also a rumor that they will reveal Vampire Count's on Halloween.

Warhammer in my head
    Warhammer in reality
    Total War

Warhammer becomes a game of 'which newest army kicks the old armies ass to sell more models' and if Warhammer could sell models that melted down in 6 months they would. As a game I love the game, as a company I hate it. Over charging $40 for .40 cents worth of plastic, making old models terrible in new editions to make you buy new models which do the same thing as the old model but with a different name.

It is a terrible company. People complain that wow is too greedy but they obviously have never spent any time investing in a single Warhammer army.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Warhammer in my head
    Warhammer in reality
    Total War

Warhammer becomes a game of 'which newest army kicks the old armies ass to sell more models' and if Warhammer could sell models that melted down in 6 months they would. As a game I love the game, as a company I hate it. Over charging $40 for .40 cents worth of plastic, making old models terrible in new editions to make you buy new models which do the same thing as the old model but with a different name.

It is a terrible company. People complain that wow is too greedy but they obviously have never spent any time investing in a single Warhammer army.
    This is why you play Warmahordes instead. Fuck GW

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raxis View Post
    This is why you play Warmahordes instead. Fuck GW
    Yeah, personally I'm turning in to a mantic fanboy, they have the right ethos, although I know there are just as capable companies out there

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Throren View Post
    This looks like it will destroy my pc Low settings it is :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Warhammer in my head
    Warhammer in reality
    Total War

It is a bit restrictive in cost right now for new players although games workshop have promised to "drastically" reduce the cost of building an army soon when they make their "new" races. What that actually means we'll have to see.

Luckily I got in reasonably early - I bought pretty much all my models in 5th/6th ed when it was still 10-15 a box and 8-10 a hero. Have full armies (2500pts or so each) of Empire, Orcs and High Elves as well as smaller forces of Brettonia , Wood Elves and Dwarves without too much cost. I also have a massive set of LOTR forces but no one seems to play that anymore.