Page 45 of 139 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    It's because they build alot of siege engines first, but ya - it's really annoying, I've only had one defense battle in black crag. (rebellion)

On the other hand, they are so easy to defend now, it's not that much fun anyway other than watching it because it looks cool.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Thats not really an issue though, thats how actual sieges were fought.

Storming the battlements was either done when you knew the defenders were super weak (and even then it was a risky prospect), or when you knew you only had one shot at taking the city. Doesn't make for particularly fun gameplay I grant you, but it is historically accurate.

I believe the only time the AI will engage in a full on attack straight away, atleast in Rome 2, was when you had an army close by that could potentially reinforce and pin the enemy army in place. Later on in the game they'll engage though, when they can knock walls down, in Rome 2 that is, I haven't played Warhammer yet, not certain of the siege mechanics.

yeahh but in terms of gameplay, which sometimes should be more important than realism (especially when inside a fantasy universe anyway) defending siege battles is more fun than the enemy always waiting it out for you to either surrender, starve to death or fight them in the field. i understand doing it sometimes, like if the defending force is much larger and the AI wants to wait it out, but it would be nice to sometimes be able to play a defensive siege battle

AI is completely aware of how disgustingly powerfull towers are.

Near the end of my dwarf campaign. Two armies of 20/20 and 19/20 guard my way. Both with level 15+ heroes.

Shiiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Davos Seaworth View Post
    Near the end of my dwarf campaign. Two armies of 20/20 and 19/20 guard my way. Both with level 15+ heroes.

Shiiet.
    They shall die upon a wall of Gromril (Ironbreakers) while being shredded by Thunderers.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

So I just started my first dwarf campaign and I don't really understand what's happening. It's turn 10 and this orc raiding party is just teleporting around, my armies unable to catch it as it burrows under my armies and runs past them to sack undefended settlements, then burrowing under entire mountains (that otherwise take 3 turns to pass) to sack more settlements in back-to-back turns. How am I supposed to catch them?
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    So I just started my first dwarf campaign and I don't really understand what's happening. It's turn 10 and this orc raiding party is just teleporting around, my armies unable to catch it as it burrows under my armies and runs past them to sack undefended settlements, then burrowing under entire mountains (that otherwise take 3 turns to pass) to sack more settlements in back-to-back turns. How am I supposed to catch them?
    Use the tunnel stance and you will interrupt them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    use the underground stance (change stance in bottom left when you have army selected if you didn't know), i swear the AI can move further each turn than we can though, it makes chasing AI a nightmare.

sometimes your campaign though just gets into a rut and you have to restart. i often have to restart by turn 20 because i can't do anything because the AI is just constantly going from city to city sacking or razing them, and because of that i can't even build an army big enough to counter them, so only thing i can actually do is restart. it seems to happen a lot if you lose an army early on by attacking a settlement too early.

I'm still debating whether to get this game or not. Not a fan of the setting (I like the 40K universe more), and I already have Shogun2 and Rome2 to scratch my total war itch. I like that the factions play a lot more differently, but I'm wary of some of the imbalances and what the future DLC have in store.

I think I will wait for the complete/ultimate edition and then give it another look. I hate that CA chops their DLC into little pieces or sells editions that come with some DLCs but not others.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    I'm still debating whether to get this game or not. Not a fan of the setting (I like the 40K universe more), and I already have Shogun2 and Rome2 to scratch my total war itch. I like that the factions play a lot more differently, but I'm wary of some of the imbalances and what the future DLC have in store.

I think I will wait for the complete/ultimate edition and then give it another look. I hate that CA chops their DLC into little pieces or sells editions that come with some DLCs but not others.

It's so much more fun due to the fantasy setting (and it's humor) than Shogun/Rome, I can tell you that.
    I personally prefer the fantasy over the sci-fi, basically due to how amazing the races are in the fantasy compared to it's sci-fi counterpart.
    The only thing that is alot cooler in the 40k universe is the empire/space marines. They are simply not fanatic enough here imho.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-06-13 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Use the tunnel stance and you will interrupt them.
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    use the underground stance (change stance in bottom left when you have army selected if you didn't know), i swear the AI can move further each turn than we can though, it makes chasing AI a nightmare.
    Ah, I didn't realize it was under that menu. I looked everywhere (else) for it. Makes sense now that you mention it, though... thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    It's so much more fun due to the fantasy setting (and it's humor) than Shogun/Rome, I can tell you that.
    I personally prefer the fantasy over the sci-fi, basically due to how amazing the races are in the fantasy compared to it's sci-fi counterpart.
    The only thing that is alot cooler in the 40k universe is the empire/space marines. They are simply not fanatic enough here imho.
    Sure would like to see a WH40K: Total War too, though. Usually, converting a more modern military setting to a TW game would be pretty difficult, but since WH40K runs entirely on rule of cool anyway, I think it'd translate perfectly.

Ah well, maybe in another decade...
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Someone did some datamining

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Someone did some datamining

It has been confirmed from an official source as out of date data remnants.
    Strength Determination Merciless Forever

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
    It has been confirmed from an official source as out of date data remnants.
    Ah ok, well those would be my guess anyways for the first dlc races, those and Brettonia, maby kislev and border princes?

But where's dlc02?

I decided to dip my toe into the modding aspect of TW:WH, and have been working on making Crooked Moon a playable goblin sub-faction of the greenskins. So far I've only got the selectable faction and leader (keeping Sour around for now), faction details, some tool tip changes, and settlement garrison changes, and I'm working on ironing out a settlement bug. Not bad for my first 3 days of modding a TW game. Once I get the settlement thing figured out, I'll start reworking the other buildings, shuffling some things around a bit; attempt to make a new resource building (Mushroom Cave for beer/wine); and then try my hand at adding some new units, including some more Hero types.

Generally speaking, I have been quite impressed with the quality of the release, and its stability. There are some minor issues, but most have been dealt with by mods. For example, I loved agents in previous TW games, but they feel out of place in WH, so I grabbed the mod that prevents enemy AI from using agent actions.

Deleted
    Hmmm, no matter how I look at it... the dwarve units seem to be extremely weak... or their arch enemies are way to strong.
    The lack of Cav, their relatively weak heroes... I don't like them.
    It's so easy to break enemy units with them. (edit: It' so *difficult* to break enemy units...)
    Do they have anything that causes terror or shock?

Why is their leadership so low? I expected them to fight to the last man, but they break after losing 50% through normal combat - no shock cav/exposed flanks involved. Maybe the later units are better, but their early ones are horrible :/.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-06-24 at 09:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    Hmmm, no matter how I look at it... the dwarve units seem to be extremely weak... or their arch enemies are way to strong.
    The lack of Cav, their relatively weak heroes... I don't like them.
    It's so easy to break enemy units with them.
    Do they have anything that causes terror or shock?

Why is their leadership so low? I expected them to fight to the last man, but they break after losing 50% through normal combat - no shock cav/exposed flanks involved. Maybe the later units are better, but their early ones are horrible :/.
    The way you wanna play Dwarves is very defensive, very static with loads of artillery and ranged units and just let them do the work. Make sure to find a good position to hold and keep your flanks secure.

Now I dont know who you are referring to having low Leadership, dwarf units actually have pretty high morale. Greenskins without their Heroes/Leaders around don't. Maybe you are using too many Miners? Those guys are pretty much your most mobile units early on but they pay for that mobility with lower armour/leadership/damage. Only use a few to patch potential holes in your line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Got to turn 182 on legendary as Vampire counts and just spotted 4 full Chaos armies on there way and I have 2 armies and half my cities destroyed form their previous attacks and I've already killed Archaeon twice... I hate Chaos so much, I give up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Excuse me while I go and clear my sinuses loudly into a megaphone.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Varg can get quite tough, I tend to make friends with them tbh, its not like you can take their cities anyway.

Best way is to charge an army near their towns and they'll beg for peace.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    The Varg can get quite tough, I tend to make friends with them tbh, its not like you can take their cities anyway.

Best way is to charge an army near their towns and they'll beg for peace.
    i invaded their lands, the varg and skaeling, with 4 best units, loaded with steamtanks and gryphons, razed all that area and destroyed it all.

man, nothing more fun when there is no danger in the northren borders, i managed to focus on south and conquered all the lands

Legendary that is