Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    Maybe they could repurpose some of the nonplayable factions from the first game. I mean, in the lore, Estalia, Tilea, and Kislev are their own nations with their own culture, units, architecture, and inspiration in real-life civilizations (Estalia being Spain, Tilea being Italy, and Kislev being Russia). But in the game they're merely palette swaps of the empire, and use the exact same units as the empire of sigmar. Maybe they "could" repurpose one of those and make it an actual unique faction? Unlikely, but not impossible.
    The problem with these, is that they aren't really on the WH2 map, they are on the WH1 map (as much as I'd love to see Kislev and their bear mounts and Lore of Ice). Amazons and Araby could work, but they'd need to really flesh these armies out as they did with Norsca. Ogres and Chaos Dwarves could be done, but they aren't on the WH2 map either (and really make more sense as DLC with WH3).

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Nice.

I was hoping that Necrons were just 40k year old Tomb Kings. There is so much lore, and I'm barely scratching the surface now. Does 40k and Fantasy connect in any way?
    Officially, no they don't, especially now that Warhammer Fantasy is dead in Games Workshop's eyes and was replaced by Age of Sigmar which definitely happens in its own universe. Fans have made theories as to how they could be connected (for example, there's a lore snippet about Skaven scientists successfully making contact with what could be an Eldar, but as with all lore it is happily ignored by GW when it suits them) but both are their own thing.

Funny part of this story is that Necrons used to be unthinking undead robots with close to no personality traits, and it's only a relatively recent codex that established the heads of their dynasties aren't mindless and have their own quirks and goals. It was a divisive change as some liked that the Necrons were not something you could ever bargain or reason with, but IMO space Tomb Kings gives them a lot more personality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    So what else could be added after TK?

Are Necrons 40k only?
    Guaranteed factions still remaining:
    - Ogre Kingdoms
    - Daemons of Chaos

Highly likely factions:
    - Chaos Dwarfs

Potential factions:
    - Kislev
    - Araby
    - Hobgoblin Empire
    - Dogs of War

Unlikely (these factions would basically be created from scratch by CA, but after Norsca its entirely within the realm of possibility):
    - Amazons
    - Cathay

Pretty much impossible, but you never know:
    - Ind
    - Nippon

If they stick with the four launch factions three DLC factions formula of WH1 with WH2 and WH3, then we could potentially see all of those factions apart from the impossible ones.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Guaranteed factions still remaining:
    - Ogre Kingdoms
    - Daemons of Chaos

Highly likely factions:
    - Chaos Dwarfs

Potential factions:
    - Kislev
    - Araby
    - Hobgoblin Empire
    - Dogs of War

Unlikely (these factions would basically be created from scratch by CA, but after Norsca its entirely within the realm of possibility):
    - Amazons
    - Cathay

Pretty much impossible, but you never know:
    - Ind
    - Nippon

If they stick with the four launch factions three DLC factions formula of WH1 with WH2 and WH3, then we could potentially see all of those factions apart from the impossible ones.
    Again Norsca was not made from scratch.
    The Fimir, Skin Wolves, Mammoths all existed from Forgeworld.
    The rest is just variations of existing units (marauders, hounds, trolls)

There is no such equivalent for Amazons, Cathay, Araby, Ind or Nippon.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Again Norsca was not made from scratch.
    The Fimir, Skin Wolves, Mammoths all existed from Forgeworld.
    The rest is just variations of existing units (marauders, hounds, trolls)

There is no such equivalent for Amazons, Cathay, Araby, Ind or Nippon.
    It still shows they have the creativity to do it. I fully believe them to pull off 100% unique units with no background whatsoever that still fit within the setting.

For example, a big chunk of their units for Bretonnia were actually made up from scratch because bretonnia's roster in the tabletop is rather small and tiny.

They added a lot of new units for the lizardmen as well. So they've proven they can make entirely new units from the ground up.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Yeah, CA has broad creative license from Games Workshop. They can make up a lot of things if they want to.

I think a possible new pack would be a Men of the New World DLC, which would include Tilea, Estalia and perhaps Araby. Since these factions use mostly human units, they would require less work to implement, and thus you could have 4 LLs; two for Araby, one for the other factions which would be integrated in both Vortex and Mortal Empires.

Because apart from that there's basically no faction of note that can be added to game 2's map, apart from Deamons which will be kept for game 3.

For Bretonnia the only 'new' unit is the Foot Squire, everything else existed for the tabletop in some way.
    What new units did they make for Lizardman that did not exist in some way on the tabletop?

At best its a minor variation of an existing unit.

Just want to mention that only one city is taken from humans in upper Southlands, so Araby is still possible.

For Bretonnia the only 'new' unit is the Foot Squire, everything else existed for the tabletop in some way.
    Not quite.

There's also the Royal Hippogryph knights, the holy-water hurling Blessed Field Trebuchets, and a few other of their ground infantry including the foot soldiers. Also, Grail Guardians were a single paragraph in the lore, so they took a name, and made it a unit.

Two of the legendary lords were either a single line or a single paragraph in the lore, yet here they have their own backstories, items, models, quests, and skills. I'm talking about lords like Helman Ghorst and Duke Alberic of Bordelaux.

What new units did they make for Lizardman that did not exist in some way on the tabletop?
    All the feral dinosaurs as standalone units instead of mounts, and that bastiladon with the crystal strapped on his back that heals others.

The Skaven got several variations of slingers that don't exist in the tabletop

Dark Elves got the Cold One Dread Knights, as well as dragons as standalone units rather than just mounts

High Elves got all 3 variants of dragons as units rather than mounts, and Chariot Archers.

At best its a minor variation of an existing unit.
    Not really. Some of their original work includes units that were nothing more than a name and a paragraph at best with no model or description, for which they gave them a model, abilities, and in the case of lords, backstories and items and quests. They have the creativity to do this on a larger scale.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Just want to mention that only one city is taken from humans in upper Southlands, so Araby is still possible.
    Wouldn't that be compressed though? If you add a faction you also need to add NPC variants of that faction (For example, prior to norsca DLC, there were only 2 norscan factions. Afterward, there were like 7).

Even assuming that one settlement taken in the screenshot (talking about this one) was actually just the tomb kings capturing the settlement rather than starting out in it, wouldn't that leave Araby with too few starting land? they'd have to expand the landmass of the southlands both on the vortex and mortal empires map to accomodate them, because otherwise they'd have at best 5 provinces, for a faction that needs at least two starting positions for their lords, and at the very least 5 more settlements for their NPC subfactions to start on.

From normal trebuchet to holy water trebuchet . yeah totally new unit.
    Same for different weapons on the men-at-arms.
    Same for Grail Knights into slightly better Grail Guardians.

All the feral dinos exist as a non-feral version. Thats not new units
    Slightly different kind of slinger ammo is again, not a 'new unit' but a minor variations of an existing unit.
    Slightly better Cold One Knights by addead Dread to the name, totally new unit.

Yes they added some new Lords that had little to no background while being mostly based on existing Lord characters. Wow.

None of this compares to designing an entire faction from the ground up, which is what would be needed for Araby/Cathay/ect.
    Yes, they could do it if they want to. But to call this precedence is REALLY stretching it.

From normal trebuchet to holy water trebuchet . yeah totally new unit.
    Same for different weapons on the men-at-arms.
    Same for Grail Knights into slightly better Grail Guardians.

All the feral dinos exist as a non-feral version. Thats not new units
    Slightly different kind of slinger ammo is again, not a 'new unit' but a minor variations of an existing unit.
    Slightly better Cold One Knights by addead Dread to the name, totally new unit.

Yes they added some new Lords that had little to no background while being mostly based on existing Lord characters. Wow.

None of this compares to designing an entire faction from the ground up, which is what would be needed for Araby/Cathay/ect.
    Yes, they could do it if they want to. But to call this precedence is REALLY stretching it.
    Hey, if you're gonna nitpick about everything, you're never gonna be happy.

And they HAVE designed an entirely new faction from the ground up. You are massively downplaying how big Norsca is. Sure a lot of their units were taken from Forgeworld, but the faction mechanics (Worship of the four gods with each god providing a different blessing, and erecting different monuments after razing a settlement, defeat the champions of the gods you don't worship, hunting beasts, choosing between helping the everchosen or replacing him, etc) were entirely new.

Stop being such a grumpy bear.

Again, massively downplaying what's happening here. There is indeed cause to say wow. They literally took a name and a paragraph and made a character out of it. Complete with design, items, quests, mechanics, skills, spells, lore, background and such. If its so easy why doesn't everyone do it?

And if they have to create entirely new characters from scratch? WH2 proved they can do it. The support cast for the Eye of the Vortex campaign is made of entirely new characters that don't exist in the tabletop (Such as Felicion, or Yucanadozat). Granted, those new characters show up only on the cutscenes, but they still feel like they fit within the background, and should they want to add skills and mechanics to them, they can totally do it.

So for a faction like the Amazons, or Nippon for whom there are no named characters to draw from, they can simply make new ones from nothing. If they can take a name and a paragraph and make a fully functional legendary lord out of it, and create entirely new characters from scratch that fit within the lore, its not really all that illogical to think they're up to the task.
    Last edited by Derah; 2017-12-20 at 05:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This site Fanatical has the Tomb Kings DLC for 20% off, makes it only $15.19.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/dlc/tot...the-tomb-kings

Before you ask, its a legit site, not a key re-seller; they also send the Steam key instantly, don't have to wait for it to release.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    This site Fanatical has the Tomb Kings DLC for 20% off, makes it only $15.19.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/dlc/tot...the-tomb-kings

Before you ask, its a legit site, not a key re-seller; they also send the Steam key instantly, don't have to wait for it to release.
    Thanks man, pretty sweet deal.

Meh. I remember when the wood elves were announced they were also 20 bucks (overpriced IMO), but if you preordered you had a far more substantial discount. I got mine for 12 bucks due to pre-ordering. This time, not only is it still too overpriced, but the discount was a measly dollar.

As I said before, cool DLC, I still got it, I am eager to play it, but sheesh, dat price.

37 minutes of Tomb Kings gameplay.

Gotta say..... they look SICK AS FUCK. Honestly, the 23rd can't come here soon enough. The cherry on top of this awesome cake is that we're also getting a free skaven legendary lord.

He's going to be added even if you don't purchase the DLC.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is also a free legendary lord for Skaven coming at the same time as Tomb Kings, Tretch Craventail.

His bonuses:

I'm just puzzled at to their choice of Skaven Lord. Craventail? He's Ghorst and Alberic level of nobody. Why couldn't we have Thanquol or something. It's not like popular LLs are off limits as free content since we got Vlad in game 1. That said, he starts with a friggin Doomwheel which is awesome, and his faction effects are extremely Skaveny.

But yes, other than that I'm really liking the Tomb King's host of unique mechanics, they seem highly flavorful and far more fun to play in Eye of the Vortex since you won't have the other factions constantly pestering you. Thy will probably be easymode but hey, not every faction needs to be super hard. I know I'm going to have fun as Settra, I'll build him an entire army of chariots to crush the lesser beings under hoof. And I'll try to have an entire stack of Hierotitans in the late game for pure, unadulterated mayhem.

I still think the prices are a bit steep however. Norsca was far more reasonably priced than this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I'm just puzzled at to their choice of Skaven Lord. Craventail? He's Ghorst and Alberic level of nobody. Why couldn't we have Thanquol or something. It's not like popular LLs are off limits as free content since we got Vlad in game 1. That said, he starts with a friggin Doomwheel which is awesome, and his faction effects are extremely Skaveny.

But yes, other than that I'm really liking the Tomb King's host of unique mechanics, they seem highly flavorful and far more fun to play in Eye of the Vortex since you won't have the other factions constantly pestering you. Thy will probably be easymode but hey, not every faction needs to be super hard. I know I'm going to have fun as Settra, I'll build him an entire army of chariots to crush the lesser beings under hoof. And I'll try to have an entire stack of Hierotitans in the late game for pure, unadulterated mayhem.

I still think the prices are a bit steep however. Norsca was far more reasonably priced than this.
    Gotta save the more important lords for paid DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I know I'm going to have fun as Settra, I'll build him an entire army of chariots to crush the lesser beings under hoof.
    That army will be BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION ASININE MORTAL!!!!!!

Yeah, that's the one chink in what I otherwise think is an awesome package. This is easily their most flavorful faction since Norsca

10+ Year Old Account
    Also it seems like Araby is probably the next DLC faction.

There was an interview linked in this thread on the official TW forums that has since been removed from YouTube. In it two guys from CA, including the leader of their new content team, answered questions about the Tomb Kings, their mechanics, etc...

At the end of the interview the guy giving the interview asked them if Araby was next... The new content team guy, with a huge smile on his face, was like "Wouldn't that be interesting?"... And the other CA guy, also smiling, said "Araby? Never heard of them..."

The video has since been deleted, probably because those answers were a little on the nose.