View Poll Results: What's the purpose of telling someone you put them on ignore?

Voters
85. This poll is closed
  • It's to get more attention and announce someones feelings are hurt.

37 43.53%
  • It's a prudent way of telling someone you aren't going to talk to you ignored them

21 24.71%
  • To make a public announcement like a Captains Log

15 17.65%
  • I don't know (Other)

12 14.12%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    It's always funny when someone loudly and proudly announces they put you on ignore in any game, then you actually whisper them, the whisper goes through and you screenshot it.

10+ Year Old Account
    So they know. What other purpose is there?

Hell, some trolls get a hard on when they get ignored by people. Maybe I'm just helping them get their jollies off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

If you want someone out of your face, don't give them any reason to try to harass you any more—after all, vindictive people can just roll another character if they don't like you that much. But I think mostly it's trying to play "one-up" on the ignoree.

Quote Originally Posted by snuzzle View Post
    Sometimes it's necessary. For example, in a PUG raid, if you're doing well in the group but one person is just annoying the piss out of your for some reason, it's good to say "I am putting Annoyingplayer on ignore, let me know if he says something important." Yeah, it sounds childish, but I don't want to be left in the dark if the guy actually says something that I need to know (like he's a healer and he's going AFK).

It can also be a way to announce a whisper conversation is over. Instead of saying "goodbye" you say "ignored".

Most of the time, though, yeah; it seems to be just an attention-grabbing flounce.
    That is exactly why I'm against putting anyone on ignore. If you use the ignore system, you have no idea if the person said anything useful afterwards unless someone else is kind enough to tell you. It just seems smarter to mentally filter out the crap than rely on ignore systems, generally.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

You tell them I put you on ignore because saying eat a bag of cocks you fucking prick can easily result in a ban.

Deleted
    I don't see the point in telling them personally in private, but like snuzzle said it can be useful to notify people in case this person actually says something worthwhile. Not necessarily in public either, perhaps just telling a friend "I just put this troll on ignore, tell me if he says something not completely obnoxious and actually useful".

I can't imagine bothering to tell anyone you put them on ignore in WoW because that person does (or used to), get a notice in red lettering: "SoAndSo has put you on ignore." So they know, no need for you to tell them. I tell people in other games, where no such notice exists just to inform them: "I am not listening to your childish ranting anymore," in hopes they will stop bothering the rest of the players with their behavior, and maybe, just maybe, focus on their playing instead (doubtful but ..), so it's just a way of saying: "It's over, stop, I can't hear you anymore anyway."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shahad View Post
    That is exactly why I'm against putting anyone on ignore. If you use the ignore system, you have no idea if the person said anything useful afterwards unless someone else is kind enough to tell you. It just seems smarter to mentally filter out the crap than rely on ignore systems, generally.
    Sometimes they're flooding the channel with so much crap that you need the physical filter, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral Mage View Post
    I can't imagine bothering to tell anyone you put them on ignore in WoW because that person does (or used to), get a notice in red lettering: "SoAndSo has put you on ignore." So they know, no need for you to tell them.
    They only get that message if they try to contact you directly via whisper.

Sig by Isilrien

Quote Originally Posted by snuzzle View Post
    Sometimes they're flooding the channel with so much crap that you need the physical filter, though.
    Unless you're talking about public channels, this never really happens. And there's not much reason to care about those other than trade chat, and that's just part of the experience. Plus, with trade chat the amount of people you would need to /ignore is insane.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mostly they are the kind of people that have to get the last word in an argument, and being able to resort to STOPPING the other person from replying back gives you pretty much infinite last words.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    You tell them I put you on ignore because saying eat a bag of cocks you fucking prick can easily result in a ban.
    Also Good advice, from someone whom I "assume" has had often run ins with Bans. Though I would be a hypocrit to say I am different.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shahad View Post
    Unless you're talking about public channels, this never really happens. And there's not much reason to care about those other than trade chat, and that's just part of the experience. Plus, with trade chat the amount of people you would need to /ignore is insane.
    Um. I was mostly referring to if you're in a PUG raid. That's about the only time it'd be necessary to ignore someone where it might still be important to know that they've said something. I'm hardly ever in public chat channels as is because of the reasons you mentioned.

I think I've got maybe three or four people permanently on my ignore list, and I've been playing since the beginning. I actually probably could do a total purge, as I doubt any of those folks play anymore.

Sig by Isilrien

I only ignore bot spammers. Telling them they are going on ignore is irrelevant because they arent human.

Sometimes the "i put you on ignore" people are more annoying than the person they ignored. Its either they got into an argument and are losing, so thats their way of getting the last word in, or they are too sensitive and cant deal with someone saying negative things about them or expressing a different opinion.