Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

White people and men are banned from 'anti-racism' rally

Below are quotes for discussion:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...attending.html

She wrote on Facebook: ‘Invite loads of BME Women and non-binary people!! Also, if you’ve been invited and you’re a man and/or white PLEASE DON’T COME just cos i invited a bunch of people and hope you will be responsible enough to respect this is a BME Women and non-binary event only.’

He said many white men felt they ‘could not say anything for fear of retribution’, adding: ‘For Bahar to have the nerve to write this is patronising beyond belief. The irony that she thinks that they are diversifying the student community in the name of feminism and multiculturalism is laughable.’

Miss Mustafa recently graduated from Goldsmiths with an MA in gender and media studies.

Following from this, my questions would be:

a) Should multiculturalism/feminism be grounds to exclude certain people or their points of view from public debate?

b) Should diversity officers (such as the one in this example) be fired if they demonstrate racism/sexism/etc - even if it's against whites/men?

c) Should "gender and media studies" programs be critically evaluated to find out whether these courses are actually promoting racist/sexist agendas?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know exactly what you're expecting to get out of this thread except of bunch of people shaking their heads saying "I seriously don't get this", but I seriously don't get this. It all seems very squelching to me, but I'll probably be told 10 posts later that I just don't get it and this is totally fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

nope.. racist and intolerant ...

minorities cant shoot themselves on the foot..

..nm, found out what bme was.. guess wasnt too off

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we should nuke the surface of the planet. The only way to make everyone happy simultaneously is for all of us to no longer exist.

Deleted
    that diversity officer seems to have the wrong job.

Racism against white people does exist
    sexism against men does exist

both aren't any less wrong than any other kind of sexism/racism. Period.

7+ Year Old Account
    lol what is bme and nonbinary people?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I think we should nuke the surface of the planet. The only way to make everyone happy simultaneously is for all of us to no longer exist.
    That sounds exactly like the thinking of a machine to me.

Yeah, we all know where this thread is going. Either locked or the usual left/right/nuance stuff. I do hate that this get's labeled left-wing, tho. This is fucking right-wing by any sane standards.
    Weird Al - I never feed trolls and I don't read spam
    Galen Hallcyon - The internet has shown us that everyone is a fuckin' moron.

Deleted
    I would've thought that for a prosecuted minority, being surrounded by white men who care enough to attend would be reassuring.

I'd like to backup the self extinction proposal. We clearly don't deserve to live here anymore as a species
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    I would've thought that for a prosecuted minority, being surrounded by white men who care enough to attend would be reassuring.
    You know, I actually kind of see it that way but what the fuck do I know. Alienating possible allies is just that: alienating. I'll make sure to stay at home when anyone other than a white male is oppressed or rallying because they don't want me anyway.

/lolwut

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I'd like to backup the self extinction proposal. We clearly don't deserve to live here anymore as a species
    While I do agree, I think we arrived at this conclusion by very different means. I think this incident is annoying and hypocritical at worst, certainly not worthy of genocide.
    Weird Al - I never feed trolls and I don't read spam
    Galen Hallcyon - The internet has shown us that everyone is a fuckin' moron.

This, wtf do these even mean.
    Why join the navy when you can be a pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Beery Swine View Post
    While I do agree, I think we arrived at this conclusion by very different means. I think this incident is annoying and hypocritical at worst, certainly not worthy of genocide.
    This incident no. This is just the most recent in a long list of reasons. With plenty more to come.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

I'm surprised they didn't invite a straight white male, he could've agreed to a submissive role and let the other groups whip him.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I feel like you're going to start up a cult or something and I'm going to join it

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm more surprised there's a degree for Gender and Media Studies. To quote a line from Grand Theft Auto Vice City, "What a Crock of Shit".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I feel like you're going to start up a cult or something and I'm going to join it
    I would never join an extinction cult, but I don't think I'd put much effort in stopping them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I'm more surprised there's a degree for Gender and Media Studies. To quote a line from Grand Theft Auto Vice City, "What a Crock of Shit".
    I've met a few people with Gender Studies degrees. Every single one of them was born without an ounce of humor in their body.

Deleted
    Just to specify, the article is just a discussion point.

The questions are around whether certain groups should be excluded from the public sphere, and what is the accountability/validity of both of diversity officers and the gender studies type courses that inform them.

Deleted
    England can you please stop trying to compete with Americas stupidity - the majority of sane people in England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtwo View Post
    England can you please stop trying to compete with Americas stupidity - the majority of sane people in England.
    hey, at least we're not as bad as Sweden.