Rogue help - with logs

Can anyone take a look at the logs below and figure out how our rogue could do a little better? He's usually parsing below the 10th percentile. I don't know rogue at all

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...KYxTGR#fight=1

the link takes you to the gruul log where he died early but you can even on bosses where he's staying alive dps is an issue

Just on a quick glance on Gruul. He was alive for 2 minutes and only cast Ambush 8 times, compared to a few other rogue logs I looked at where most were getting in 17-20 in first 2 minutes. I didn't get a chance to look at his SD uptime, but I'm going to assume he isn't using vanis/prep/SD as soon as possible. I'll look at everything a little more in detail in a bit.

thanks phizix, looking forward to your 'more detail'

Since he died early, the percentages WCL gives are misleading since those are based off of the whole fight. I hopefully normalized the percentages correctly to his time alive.

Slice and Dice: 84% Needs work. Aim for 100% uptime.
    -He Premeditated 3 seconds into the pull and used Slice and Dice with those combo points. He should be doing that before the boss is pulled.
    Rupture: 78% Also needs work. Aim for 100% uptime.
    -His first Rupture isn't until 10 seconds. He also doesn't get any bleeds up for Sanguinary Vein until a Hemorrhage at 6.5 seconds into the pull, albeit he only starts attacking at 4.5 seconds.
    Shadow Dance: 2 uses
    -He's only alive for less than 2 minutes, so that's the appropriate number of uses. Unfortunately, his first use is a bit delayed. It should be within something like 5 seconds after pull. I believe it's more damage overall to not wait for the initial Find Weakness to wear off. One good thing is that he used his second one on cooldown.
    Vanish: 1 use
    -He could've used it one more time when he was still alive, twice more with Preparation. This was prevented by the late use. The first Vanish should be used as soon as possible after energy is pooled after Find Weakness from the first Shadow Dance is close to ending. Preparation+Vanish should be immediately used after the Find Weakness from the first Vanish wears off and that is two Vanishes between the first and second Shadow Dances. Vanish should then be used on cooldown when it doesn't interfere with Shadow Dance.
    Other stuff:
    -He's using Shadow Focus, and while it is easier to use, it results in less damage than using Subterfuge and Glyph of Vanish, which allows for sort of a "mini Shadow Dance".
    -Premeditation can be used during Shadow Dance and Vanish, but he only used it on the initial pull. Premeditation cannot be used to add Anticipation stacks, so it's best used at 3 or less combo points.

That's about all I got for now.

just for reference, there are many boss fights in that log other than gruul, so if him dying early on a boss makes it hard to gain useful information, you can just switch to another fight

The rest of his fights he plays Combat, which there's not as much to talk about I suppose. He should definitely be playing Subtlety for Oregorger and possibly Kromog, Flamebender, and Beastlord as well, unless you guys really need the cleave. Have him (as well as the rest of the raid) use potions as well, both pre-pot and second pot. His number of Eviscerates are low, I think a bit too low even for not having 4pc, but I could be wrong. And since he's Eviscerating less, he's not able to get out as many Killing Sprees or Adrenaline Rushes. He still needs to work on Slice and Dice uptime for Combat, as well, as it's very important for energy regeneration through Combat's mastery Main Gauche.