View Poll Results: Superhero movie burn out?

Voters
104. This poll is closed
  • Yes. It's freaking redicoulous!

18 17.31%
  • No. I love it

71 68.27%
  • Not yet but I'm getting there!

12 11.54%
  • No. But they need to take a break.

3 2.88%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spraxle View Post
    It also makes up for the terrible Elektra movie too. OOoooooooh snap!
    You actually watched that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Why would anybody be? It's a choice to watch a film.

Some of the sequels have actually been outperforming their predecessors, so I'm far from getting tired of the genre. I welcome more like Days of Future Past, Winter Soldier, and Dark World.

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    You actually watched that?
    No I thankfully avoided it, but considering it had no 'facial expression Garner' in it I can assume it's the kind of train wreck that a lobotomy wouldn't remove from your mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not tired of them but then again I'm sorta behind...I haven't seen Iron Man 3, Captain America 2 or Thor 2 yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    The one genre I cant stand anymore is comedies. I don't know what it is with comedies lately, but I can probably count the ones I have liked in the last 10 years on one hand.
    I had to think pretty hard about that one, and I can only come up with a bunch of family films, the blood&ice cream trilogy, and Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Pretty sad state of affairs.

I'll get sick of Super Hero movies once the Marvel Cinematic Universe starts continuously creating bad movies instead of fantastic, amazing ones.

That said, I don't like the new Spider-Man, and I think Man of Steel was so-so at best. I do like the X-men franchise, but a few of them were pretty bad. The last two were great, though, so I look forward to the next one. Since I am able to overlook Batman's hilariously abrasive voice, I'm a fan of the Dark Knight trilogy, too. (Mostly just the Dark Knight.) Lastly, to be fair, the first Hulk movie was kind of boring, too.

For the most part, though, it's the MCU that has caused me to become a fan of "Super-Hero" movies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    The one genre I cant stand anymore is comedies. I don't know what it is with comedies lately, but I can probably count the ones I have liked in the last 10 years on one hand.
    I guess I'm a little more open-minded about comedies. I can agree they've gone significantly downhill overall, though.

If you had asked me last year, I would have said the one genre I can't stand anymore is horror, because every horror movie had been awful, the exceptions were like rare gems. But lately we've been getting a few good ones so it's starting to look up. Eh, I digress though.

The thing about superhero films is that it can be applied to many different types of movies. You can have films like Captain America: The Winter Soldier, that is more of a Bourne/Bond type thriller, you can have Guardians of the Galaxy, which is more sci-fi adventure type film, or something like the Dark Knight which is more a gritty action film. Marvel and DC (well, at least I hope DC) has learned that not every superhero film has to be like Spider-man or the Avengers with that bombastic, over-the-top action, as awesome as that is. Because if they were all like that, absolutely people would get sick of them. But superheroes can be fit into many different types of genres, with varying levels of seriousness. I'm hoping we see more superhero films that are sort of outside the box. But again, inside the box works too, just as long as it isn't overdone. Save the over-the-top stuff for major event films like Avengers and Justice League, while individual titles are more character-driven. That's the best way to avoid superhero fatigue, imo.

I think superhero movies are great when done right. But for them to be good, they have to explore all the classical themes of great movies - free will versus fate, black versus white, good versus evil, etc. Technically, movies like Star Wars are "superhero movies," they just weren't based in a comic book first. Almost all movies, besides trippy art house films, have some sort of ubermensch, some superman, some protagonist who is better than the rest of the people in the movie that the audience is supposed to identify with.

Movies like the Fantastic Four have been awful, because they instead go after all the tropes of awful movies. Cheesy dialogue, static characters, lack of growth and plot development, or, even worse, nonsensical plot development.

Who cares, it is not like brilliant directors stopped to produce proper amazing movies because of superhero blockbusters. Diversity is a good thing.

Deleted
    I love the MCU, X-Men and the Dark Knight trilogy. Nearly all of these movies are very well done.

The Avengers are especially well done imo. In the first one they get to know each other and in the second one they become a real team (even Hawkeye and Black Widow). I did like Loki a lot more as the villain compared to Ultron however. I cannot wait for the next Captain America to see where things go south (Civil War =OOOOOOOOOOOO inb4 Team America vs Team Stark)

They have also done a decent job of introducing the infinity stones throughout all of the movies although they don't really explain their power much. The only time we got to see a gem at work was in Guardians of the Galaxy (and now a second one in Age of Ultron). It seems like we're moving towards a BIG crossover between everything Marvel in the upcoming years (Infinity War, will probably involve Guardians and Avengers I'm thinking). So definitely not getting sick of them, but getting more excited for things to come!!

I really hope Fox and Marvel can work something out (kind of like the next Spiderman reboot) so we can see X-Men and Avengers meet up! (Since they all live in the same universe from the comic books).

I really like the X-Men movies as well, the more recent ones with Fassbender and co are really really good imo and I can't wait for more.

TL;DR Getting sick? Hell no, want to see more!

10+ Year Old Account
    Nonsense, I'm looking forward to AoU and Ant Man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    Capeshit will die by the end of this decade.

Too bad it`ll be like 5-8 more superhero movies by then but oh well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumode View Post
    Capeshit will die by the end of this decade.

Too bad it`ll be like 5-8 more superhero movies by then but oh well.
    The ocean called, it would like its salt back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's hit or miss with me. Daredevil, Cap 2, Guardians, X-Men...all of those are gems. Those make me happy to be living in this time. The age of internets, superheroes, and Nutella.

I am not pleased with Spiderman getting rebooted for a third time in...however many years. I'm feeling strong burnout with that hero. I'm also not terribly excited about DC's upcoming film releases. Hopefully they'll be Nolan-levels of awesome...but I'm not holding my breath.

Because if I held my breath I'd die.

Because I need air.

The Daredevil corridor fight beats the Old Boy fight IMO. Not by much, its pretty much #1 and #2 fight scenes ever filmed. Both are single take shots. The biggest difference was the fight in Old Boy was pulled back and just ran along side the fight. The Daredevil fight had the camera incorporated into the fight moving in and out and spinning around. There was a level of choreography that you don't see in most major blockbusters let alone Subscription based TV shows.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bathrezz View Post
    Spiderman has just seriouslee turned into rubbish and I stopped caring for Ironman3 and Captain America2 when I know that the storyline has nothing to do with the lore but its only and simply a cash grab.
    Not following the lore? CA 2 borrowed pretty extensively from the Winter Soldier storyline written by Greg Rucka in the mid 2000's. Bucky being kept alive and turned into an assassin was pretty much that whole plot from the comics. Hell Bucky eventually became Captain America in the comics. IM3 is taken from the Extremis storyline written by Warren Ellis. You couldn't be more wrong about either movie not including lore from the comics. Yes they had to change some things, but the characters are intact and the overall story is still there. Next thing you know you will be complaining that the Chitauri weren't part of the comic lore even though they were the primary villains in Ultimates Vol.1 which came out in like 2002. But yeah, the movies ignore the lore.

I watch all of the Marvel and DC stuff. Every TV show, every movie, everything. I love it. I don't think it's possible for me to get burnt out on this stuff, I just love the source material too much. I don't watch the Fox Marvel stuff though, as I'm boycotting Fox because they refuse to work with Marvel in any way, which I find to just be really shitty.

Also, Age of Ultron next week wooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Like..which actor?

You burn out over superhero movies? A first world problem if I ever saw one.
    Of course Ben Affleck playing Daredevil and now Batman!!

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Like..which actor?

You burn out over superhero movies? A first world problem if I ever saw one.
    He's going to say Chris Evans or Ryan Reynolds, I guarantee it!

Edit : And the one from the post above.

Deleted
    I am getting abit tired of them yes. Not a fan of superhero movies though.