Kill or No-kill shelter

Group A says you should only adopt from no-kill shelters to support the shelter while Group B says you should only adopt from kill shelters to save animals from death. Which is preferable and why?

Why not both?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Deleted
    Pick the cutest animal so you dont have to leave it at a Truckstop after christmas.

15+ Year Old Account
    Can someone explain to me.. What do the "no-kill" shelters do with the animals that are never adopted? Sounds like a pipe dream, tbh.

You could perhaps talk with the managers about the philosophy behind the decision, but ultimately, I'd just go with whichever place had the animal I was the most interested in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Can someone explain to me.. What do the "no-kill" shelters do with the animals that are never adopted? Sounds like a pipe dream, tbh.
    Presumably, keep them until they die of old age or ill health. Anything other than kill them, I guess. means they can keep fewer animals for the same cost, but

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Presumably, keep them until they die of old age or ill health. Anything other than kill them, I guess. means they can keep fewer animals for the same cost, but
    but what???

I'd imagine they get barely legal treatment i.e. enough food and care to survive but not enough to live a proper life.

I don't know what to tell you, OP. It's fucked up. Animals shouldn't live their days in a cage. I don't even know if living 10 years in a cage is better than just being put down painlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    A lot of them use foster families for the animals while awaiting adoption.

10+ Year Old Account
    They keep them, however they don't accept animals willy-nilly either. They are often at near full capacity at all times, and usually either turn animals away, or transfer them to other shelters.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Either/both.

That being said, "kill shelter" is a bit of an oxymoron. You can't call a place a shelter then go and kill its inhabitants. It's just plain contradictory.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    They keep them, however they don't accept animals willy-nilly either. They are often at near full capacity at all times, and usually either turn animals away, or transfer them to other shelters.
    Resulting in them being left on the streets, or put down other ways.

I've been a nokill person, but I think kill is better. In a no kill, at least I know those animals are getting attention and food.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    They get moved to a kill-shelter, duh!
    Last edited by Cerilis; 2015-04-26 at 10:47 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    So I guess the animals in the "no-kill" shelters suffer somehow, unless they can properly care for a whole bunch of dogs for 10+ years..

Thinking putting them down might be better in practice.

"Kyle's No Kill Shelter and Taco Stand"

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland