Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

13 car companies trying to make illegal for you to work on your own?

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/gm-for...160000229.html

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/0...y-own-your-car

So the 13 car companies are now trying to make it illegal for people to modify their cars, based on the noption that people don't actually own their cars. Most people know the risks of messing with their computer system in their vehicles, it can lead to catostrophic failure, in which case any warranty is already voided, releasing the auto companies of any liabilty. But now they are trying to make it punishable by law for altering your car, or doing work on your car period that involves your onboard computer. Now this doesn't only exyend to the owner, it also is supressing shops from doing work on your car who are not certified by the auto maker.

This seems like a huge over-stepping of the rights of car owners.

Edit: Damnit I dun fucked up the title!
    Last edited by Stop Pretending; 2015-04-27 at 01:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

lets be honest though

how many car owners can actually fix a modern car?

I spent years working on cars building hot rods and mud runners but I wont touch a darn thing under the bonnet of my wife's 2007 Nissan xtrail apart from check the fluids everything else its back to the dealership for servicing

Now if they were just honest and said we don't want people messing with our software because we are afraid people will copy it and make their own then fair enough

10+ Year Old Account
    well John Deere is right I use my tractor to pirate music all the time,

ridiculous
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    I hate America
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

This is like nvidia trying to make it illegal to overclock your graphics card...no fucking way it holds up in court.
    Shadow Priest Wýcked <Incarnate> Nerzhul
    Death Knight Yzf <RX> Lethon
    Boomkin Yzf <Incarnate> Nerzhul

Quote Originally Posted by renet View Post
    lets be honest though

I spent years working on cars building hot rods and mud runners but I wont touch a darn thing under the bonnet of my wife's 2007 Nissan xtrail apart from check the fluids everything else its back to the dealership for servicing

Now if they were just honest and said we don't want people messing with our software because we are afraid people will copy it and make their own then fair enough
    Most people who don't know how to fix a car, won't. But they are also including after-market shops in this lawsuit as well.
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

lets be honest though

Some people can't replace a part on their computer, but they're welcome to try. The owner can do what they want with their property, if they break it no one will replace it that's all.

There's no way this gets through. Even if the reason is because they don't want people copying their software that doesn't mean people can't mess around with it for personal use. That has never been illegal with software. If someone copies it they can take them to court for that.

Can't say I'm much of a car girl myself, but this is just ridiculous. Definitely an over-step on their part.

So pointless. You do anything to your car it still has to pass it's inspections etc. Modify it it has to be certified. I don't think this has anything to do with safety.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do all my own repairs, build, rebuilds etc...this will never pass. But it definitely seems like they just don't want you fucking with their computers.

10+ Year Old Account
    lets be honest though

I do. They are not that different than any other networked machine. They just don't want people finding out how much stuff is open for modification by the manufacturer by just toggling a bit in the firmware.

Are these cars we still pay on/lease, or all cars? As in, I see a car worth 20k. I pay 20k and drive off the lot with title in hand and I still get gibbed for turbocharging it?

If the latter, these guys need to be fined heavily for being stupid. Make an example of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhine101 View Post
    Are these cars we still pay on/lease, or all cars? As in, I see a car worth 20k. I pay 20k and drive off the lot with title in hand and I still get gibbed for turbocharging it?

If the latter, these guys need to be fined heavily for being stupid. Make an example of them.
    Cars that are purchased, not leased.

It's the fault of people on the internet like us, the morons who excepted that they no longer own the software they buy and everything is just a license. It was just a matter of time until people would start trying to sell you actual objects as services.. we're royally fucked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would car manufacturers care?

What are they possibly trying to gain by doing this?

I also don't understand why John Deere is doing this sort of bullshit.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

Because most profits come from service post sale.

Most new cars now have closed transmission systems where you cant even add fluid to the vehicle. You have to take it to a shop or dealer to get it serviced. Will not be long before more systems are closed off to the owners.

Hang on, what? We don't own our own cars?

unfortunately we are quite quickly heading back to a time when the working masses once again no longer may own any property. instead of everything we see being owned by feudal lords who grant us temporary permission to use them to gain themselves profit, its our corporate lords taking that role. capitalism is so glorious.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont really think its the companies business to protect us from ourselves. I guess they're trying to apply to cars what applies to computer software licenses, but it would be like taking away your computer for messing with a piece of software, which isnt allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

Because the other day my power steering hose (the one leading oil from the oil reserve to the power steering motor) was leaking. So i went to a manufacturer and got a new one for about 120USD to my specifications, plus about 25USD for new oil. About 20 minutes to remove the old, 1 hour to get a new and 1 hour to fit in the new one (it's pretty damn tight in even 12 year old cars).

Mercedes would have charged 3 times the price for the hose. They would have replaced more parts than necessary. And they would have charged double for the oil. On top of charging me three times the money they pay the guy for the work per hour. And if they were to do it faster than i could, it would only be barely.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!