Curious about endgame

I pre-ordered ARR when it released, and loved it for quite a while. I love being able to change to any class on one character, I love the crafting system, I like being able to scale down levels to play with friends, etc. Once I got to endgame and decided my "main" job (was scholar at the time), there seemed to be a very limited number of things to do. Back then, if you weren't raiding, you'd do a few daily dungeons (hard mode I think) for tomestones, and maybe work on your crafting/alt classes or your relic weapon. There wasn't much else to really do, so eventually I got bored.

I'm curious if this has changed at all. I know the golden saucer exists, and housing, and airships, but i'm not sure if I could actually access any of those any time soon as a returning player. I'm considering re-subbing, but i've already pre-ordered Legion, and am fairly excited about that, but after blizzard's recent endgame debacle, i'm really hoping to find something that can keep me engaged after reaching max level.

So if you're not raiding, what is there for you to do at max level? I suppose another valid question would be if FFXIV has anything like Warcraft's Group Finder Tool...I remember there being an LFG tool in FFXIV, but I also remember that most people didn't really use it. Has that changed?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Group Finder in FF14 = Party Finder. How active PF is depends on your server, since it is server specific. On Balmung, it runs the gamut of different stuff to do...you'll find people advertising for spots for static raid groups, group working on extreme primals, crafters advertising services available, RP events, FC recruitment...and being Balmung the occassional "weird" posting, to put it mildly.

Daily dungeon roulettes are still a thing, and people still run those actively to work on anima weapons (this expansion's version of the relic weapons).

I haven't been active in the raid community in this game at all, so on that I can't provide specifics.

so are you saying that they haven't added anything new and/or exciting to do at max level? I know there are new dungeons, new jobs, new skills, new levels, etc, but if all there is at endgame is daily dungeons and a new weapon grind...i'm not sure if that warrants a big purchase. It's a shame, because I REALLY like the sound of the new jobs.

Extreme Primals...I'm assuming these are just beefed up versions of the hard mode primals?

*side note* I STILL can't believe they released without a red mage job...STILL hoping/praying for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Invispoet View Post
    so are you saying that they haven't added anything new and/or exciting to do at max level? I know there are new dungeons, new jobs, new skills, new levels, etc, but if all there is at endgame is daily dungeons and a new weapon grind...i'm not sure if that warrants a big purchase. It's a shame, because I REALLY like the sound of the new jobs.

Extreme Primals...I'm assuming these are just beefed up versions of the hard mode primals?

*side note* I STILL can't believe they released without a red mage job...STILL hoping/praying for that.
    Yeah they are though new primals were added

Buut to add it in we are getting a new thing called deep dungeons soon which will be available at level 17 though lore wise do Tam Tara hm first.

Then their is the 24 man raids and the new Hildebrand/story quests

Also the 8 man raids now have easier versions that can be plugged.

All in all their Is alot to do more then just dungeons and raids

there's a lot more than daily dungeons and raiding tbh but most people get stuck in the gear treadmill mindset and don't bother to do much else.

there's daily rep factions, extreme trial mount farming, hunts, diadem, gold saucer mini-games, relic weapon, 24 mans, side-stories, probably more i'm forgetting.

i don't even do a lot of what i listed because i'm working on a lot of other things in-game atm.

also the new deep dungeon is being added in a week that lets you go solo and try to get as far as you can. definitely worth checking the game out again.

What exactly are you looking for?

As Threadz mentioned, Palace of the Dead releases next week, with it's own progression and it supports 1-4 players.

I don't even do organized raiding, yet I often find myself thinking "gee, I don't have enough time in a day to do all the stuff I want to do in this game". But if you go full tunnel mode on only one aspect of the game (as I did in 3.0 when I was obsessed with running expert roulette every day just for the gear upgrades), you'll get burned out.

See, to me, at least in concept, the deep dungeon is just another dungeon. Being able to solo is nice, but i think they've said something along the lines of it being extremely difficult to solo, which means most people will probably treat it as an extended dungeon. Extreme mode trials are 8 man content, right? In my mind that's a raid, although I did like the short nature of the trials as opposed to coils. I didn't find the gold saucer very compelling in the gameplay department, but I may have not given it a fair shake.

When I played, i liked the story quests and side quests, but they're either finite, or they're daily quests (or trade leves, etc). I liked the crafting system, I liked the combat system, and I even liked the actual raids, but my schedule just doesnt really leave enough time to do them on any reliable basis. Eventually I ended up at the point where I would just farm for my weekly tomes cap and then just spend the majority of the rest of my time levelling crafting jobs, which eventually ended up with me doing the same tradeskill leves 40-50 times.

I guess i'm wondering if the game is worth the money if the majority of what I'm doing is just dungeons & crafting. Another dilemma is that most of the jobs I want to try out require Heavensward, and I haven't bought that yet. (in my mind, i've picked out Ninja, Machinist, Astrologian, and Dark Knight as the classes I would focus on for each role).

If i understand correctly, hunts are a throwback to FFXI's HNMs, right? Those might be fun depending on if they're worth it. Are there any substantial rewards or goals in the golden saucer? I tried triple triad a bit and got my butt handed to me more often than not, and that's after knowing the base game from the old console FF's.

I guess i'm just on the fence about buying Heavensward after already having paid for Legion. I'm bored with my current MMO, and looking for something more fun/engaging without focusing on raids quite so much.

Deep Dungeon/Palace of the Dead is essentially a form of Greater Rifts from Diablo 3, only without the timer requirements on them (to my knowledge there's no time limit). If you like the story quests, then unlocking DRK/AST/MCH shouldn't be that big of an issue, since you could do all the main story quests as NIN up to the point you can unlock the others. Pretty much all of the content in the game dungeon/raid wise can be done via Duty Finder, so schedule issues are mostly a moot point, unless you're insisting that the only raid content is the savage level stuff. HW goes on sale fairly often (considering it's only a year old), and I've gotten more than my money's worth out of it, even having taken an entire patch off (3.1, because I got burned out running Neverreap seemingly every day).

10+ Year Old Account
    See, to me, at least in concept, the deep dungeon is just another dungeon. Being able to solo is nice, but i think they've said something along the lines of it being extremely difficult to solo, which means most people will probably treat it as an extended dungeon. Extreme mode trials are 8 man content, right? In my mind that's a raid, although I did like the short nature of the trials as opposed to coils. I didn't find the gold saucer very compelling in the gameplay department, but I may have not given it a fair shake.

When I played, i liked the story quests and side quests, but they're either finite, or they're daily quests (or trade leves, etc). I liked the crafting system, I liked the combat system, and I even liked the actual raids, but my schedule just doesnt really leave enough time to do them on any reliable basis. Eventually I ended up at the point where I would just farm for my weekly tomes cap and then just spend the majority of the rest of my time levelling crafting jobs, which eventually ended up with me doing the same tradeskill leves 40-50 times.

I guess i'm wondering if the game is worth the money if the majority of what I'm doing is just dungeons & crafting. Another dilemma is that most of the jobs I want to try out require Heavensward, and I haven't bought that yet. (in my mind, i've picked out Ninja, Machinist, Astrologian, and Dark Knight as the classes I would focus on for each role).

If i understand correctly, hunts are a throwback to FFXI's HNMs, right? Those might be fun depending on if they're worth it. Are there any substantial rewards or goals in the golden saucer? I tried triple triad a bit and got my butt handed to me more often than not, and that's after knowing the base game from the old console FF's.

I guess i'm just on the fence about buying Heavensward after already having paid for Legion. I'm bored with my current MMO, and looking for something more fun/engaging without focusing on raids quite so much.
    Ok then buy it the story ALONE is like 40-69 hours barring scene skipping abd that is without patches

As far as raiding goes they actually have added a raid finder that let's you even que to specific phases

Theb their is diadem which admittedly very few use but it is like a massive open world hunting area

Yeah, I think i've decided to try it out, but due to limited money, i'll probably wait until if/when I get bored with legion, since i've already bought that. I may put $10 down to play around for a month, but the big hurdle will be if/when i get to 49-50 and have to decide about whether to heavensward or not.

Well if you look at it that way the genre really hasn't innovated in the last 20 years. Everything is a variant of something else but done in a new way. The only thing that matters to me is if it's something I find enjoyable to do.