Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by soulzek View Post
    guys im not racist but "i find this pretty ^%^#$^$ insulting"
    Read whats said before jumping to conclusions pal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Yes it was confirmed a long time ago.
    It is still a stupid premise, it feels now like they had to work that aspect of the plot around just so they could make the fantastic four 'diverse' instead of an all white group, which is has been since it was formed.

Again, if they wanted to have a long standing character whos been white since first invented, and so desperate to appeal to that form of diversity, why not make mr fantastic black?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Read whats said before jumping to conclusions pal.

- - - Updated - - -

It is still a stupid premise, it feels now like they had to work that aspect of the plot around just so they could make the fantastic four 'diverse' instead of an all white group, which is has been since it was formed.

Again, if they wanted to have a long standing character whos been white since first invented, and so desperate to appeal to that form of diversity, why not make mr fantastic black?
    Because again, Jordan is a favourite actor of Josh Trank (the director) who he has worked with before. Trank clearly thought Jordan was good for the Jonny Storm role. This had nothing to do with diversity, it had to do with who was the best for the job. I would hope that having cast a black actor for Jonny they'd have considered a black actor for Sue, but if Kate Mara was genuinely the best woman for the job then I see no problem in adding in the adoption plot (providing it isn't made a huge deal of in the film.).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Because again, Jordan is a favourite actor of Josh Trank (the director) who he has worked with before. Trank clearly thought Jordan was good for the Jonny Storm role. This had nothing to do with diversity, it had to do with who was the best for the job. I would hope that having cast a black actor for Jonny they'd have considered a black actor for Sue, but if Kate Mara was genuinely the best woman for the job then I see no problem in adding in the adoption plot (providing it isn't made a huge deal of in the film.).
    Actually it sounds more like it had less to do with whos best for the role, and more a case that the director two shits less about staying true to the story and more about just getting his buddy a big role.

Deleted
    The movie is based on the comic, where he is black, so he is black. It's actually very simple

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    The movie is based on the comic, where he is black, so he is black. It's actually very simple
    I'll admit that it's been years since I've read a fantastic 4 comic. When/How did Johnny Storm become black? He was white until at least the mid 90s.

I think it would have made more sense/be less convoluted just to cast a black woman as Sue but I guess an adoption would work.

Deleted
    Actually it sounds more like it had less to do with whos best for the role, and more a case that the director two shits less about staying true to the story and more about just getting his buddy a big role.
    Directors have favourites. Hopefully because they're actors who have proven themselves. But even if it's just Trank getting his buddy a role that has nothing to do with race.

Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    Is there anything important about them being brother and sister? Does it do anything for the story? If not then why would it matter?
    It is quite important that they're brother and sister, but it doesn't matter that one of them is adopted and their pigments don't match.

Directors do tend to like certain actors. That doesn't mean that the actor isn't qualified to play a role. If the only basis you think he isn't qualified for the role is because he's black...maybe you should rethink your whole "I'm not racist" thing.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    It is quite important that they're brother and sister, but it doesn't matter that one of them is adopted and their pigments don't match.
    That's what I was getting at.

more like yawn, another fantastic 4? are we going to see every film remade every 10 years?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see the problem with it. I know a family...have 6 kids...parents are white, they have one biological white son, 2 black sons, an asian daughter and a black daughter. Wow...how did they do that? Adoption is a wonderful thing. Open your eyes and your mind before opening the mouth and being angry.

15+ Year Old Account
    What a shitty lineup for a movie.

Families adopt all the time. Who cares?

The funny part is, before the trailer came out, everyone assumed that it would be Johnny that was adopted for the sake of diversity. But instead, it's Sue.

I love when these threads come up, because no one gave two shits that the last Sue Storm was played by a Latina (Jessica Alba) alongside a white Johnny Storm.

I feel about the same about this as if they cast a white guy as John Stewart in a green lantern movie. With comic book movies its best not to compare it to the comic and let it stand on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I love when these threads come up, because no one gave two shits that the last Sue Storm was played by a Latina (Jessica Alba) alongside a white Johnny Storm.
    To be fair, does anyone even care about the last two movies in general?

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    "What the hell is Jessica Alba, for that matter? If I were forty years younger I would plow that till next July..."
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2015-04-27 at 11:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, did anyone complain about Trask being a dwarf in Days of Future Past?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Hmm, did anyone complain about Trask being a dwarf in Days of Future Past?
    Peter Dinklage could play Wolverine and no-one would complain.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    its the fact that I'm addressing the elephant in the room
    This is not an elephant in the room. People have been bitching and moaning about this since the casting was announced. At this stage you are just flogging a dead horse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    Peter Dinklage could play Wolverine and no-one would complain.
    That would be fucking great to see!