Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Stomp now (Noisy neighbours)

I have recently moved into a new apartment we are "renting". My upstairs neighbors stomp their feet, a lot and its getting progressively worse, but we do hear it all hours. Its particularly bad between 6am-8am. I tend to go to bed around 2am, where my boyfriend tends to sleep around 5-6am. We are both woken up every few hours every night with their stomping, and he gets no sleep between 6-8. We actually believe they excersize in the room above us between 6-8.

The problem comes in here: While we are renting, this is not a rental apartment building. Every year our landlords must ask for permission to rent. So, I dont want to cause trouble for them in any way, causing them to be unable to rent next year.

Do I write a letter to my neighbours upstairs? Kindly have a chat? Or do I go to strata about it?

edit: As it turns out, I dont think its my upstairs neighbour. She's elderly and works hours that tend to be the worst. Now its a matter of figuring out where the noise comes from.
    Last edited by Ayla; 2015-04-28 at 01:25 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Go talk to them first. For all you know they aren't even stomping, it might be something completely different. Don't make assumptions

talk to them, if they are exercising they can move it in some other time if they aren't duchebags.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe they're professionals.

Deleted
    Out of courtesy it's worth trying to talk to the people first before contacting landlords and such. I recently moved from a place with some truely god awful neighbours. They repeatedly caused leaks from their pipes leading to flooding in our flat. Shouting and stomping all times of day and night. We tried to talk to them and they ended up just ignoring us so we had no choice but to take it further. Just don't be too surprised if the landlord doesn't seem to really care much, alot are happy getting their money and don't care unless the tenants are not paying rent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Had this problem in the past myself, as others have said, talk to them. If they're asses about it, then go from there. I don't know where your located, but here in my district in Scotland, we have a noise complaints team from the local authority that deals with issues such as this.

Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey // Intel i5 4690k // MSI z97 Gaming 3 // Corsair h100i Cooler // Corsair CX750M PSU // EVGA GTX 770 // 8gb (2x4) Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz // WD Black 1tb // Samsung Pro Evo 120gb SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Go talk to them first. For all you know they aren't even stomping, it might be something completely different. Don't make assumptions
    Yeah but talk, or letter? Im going to assume a chat?

Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    Not professionals, I dont question what they are actually doing!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Yeah but talk, or letter? Im going to assume a chat?
    Chat would be better, they may think that your being a coward by sending a letter, they might not even realise that they're being noisy.

Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey // Intel i5 4690k // MSI z97 Gaming 3 // Corsair h100i Cooler // Corsair CX750M PSU // EVGA GTX 770 // 8gb (2x4) Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz // WD Black 1tb // Samsung Pro Evo 120gb SSD

Deleted
    Best bet if talking to them doesn't work is to contact environmental health. [if you're in the UK of course]
    I had incredibly noisy neighbours in the downstairs flat who play house music all hours of the day with the bass whacked right up.
    They decided after i had a little argument with them to tone it down....for about a week. Then they installed what i can only assume is a new surround sound system and nailed it to the ceiling and turned that right up when watching any kind of television, to the point where my floor actually shook violently.
    Contacted environmental health and they are currently investigating, but i have since moved out. I do hope however they get dealt with for the sake of whoever else moves in there.
    It's not a case of they're unaware of the volume of their noise. They're aware. They just don't have the common decency to keep things at a volume acceptable for a residential premises, and not a drum factory.

A friendly chat with maybe some tears would probably go a long way... unless they're just assholes. In which case you're fucked.
    When work feels overwhelming, remember that you're going to die.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read a creepypasta with a similar plot like this.

The guy moved.

I have recently moved into a new apartment we are "renting". My upstairs neighbors stomp their feet, a lot and its getting progressively worse, but we do hear it all hours. Its particularly bad between 6am-8am. I tend to go to bed around 2am, where my boyfriend tends to sleep around 5-6am. We are both woken up every few hours every night with their stomping, and he gets no sleep between 6-8. We actually believe they excersize in the room above us between 6-8.

The problem comes in here: While we are renting, this is not a rental apartment building. Every year our landlords must ask for permission to rent. So, I dont want to cause trouble for them in any way, causing them to be unable to rent next year.

Do I write a letter to my neighbours upstairs? Kindly have a chat? Or do I go to strata about it?
    Approach your neighbors first, then the landlord. There are certain amounts of acceptable noise you'll have to live with during certain hours though being in an apartment type complex. You shouldn't have to live in a party dorm, but you should expect to hear people above you when they exercise, loud music, arguing, banging, etc., from time to time.

Honestly, I'll feel bad for whoever moves in to the apartment below mine. I have dogs and laminate floors...

Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    every goddamn time I've lived downstairs...

Thank you for this, i always wondered WTF was happening.

Sounds like they wake up and get ready for their day between 6-8am, not much you can do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Talk to them -- better yet offer to buy them a rug.

Honestly this is one of those things that you can't do much about. What is your landlord going to do? Tell them to stop walking?

Plus, if you make too much of a stink you may find the stomping is much louder and more frequent.

Like others said, talk to them. If they are dicks (which most people are), move or beat them up. Those are really your only options if you're in the usa, talking to a landlord or calling the police will make it worse most of the time. I dont care what other people say in this thread, i've dealt with this multiple times in multiple cities over the last 3 decades, if it isnt their problem, they dont care. And in fact if you are the only one with an issue in the building, YOU are the problem in their eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely just have a chat with them. If they are jerks then go to management. I live on the top floor in our building, I am constantly living in a state of fear that my neighbors hate me because we have a large dog that can sometimes be a real pain the in arse. So far no complaints, but if it were to happen I would much rather have them come to me directly.

I have recently moved into a new apartment we are "renting".
    What's the 'renting' is it renting or not, what with the quotation marks?

My upstairs neighbors stomp their feet, a lot and its getting progressively worse, but we do hear it all hours. Its particularly bad between 6am-8am. I tend to go to bed around 2am, where my boyfriend tends to sleep around 5-6am.
    Have you considered maybe you keep them up stay up that late? Your hours are pretty abnormal, I don't see much sympathy.

10+ Year Old Account
    ABout all you can do is tlak if you dont want to cause trouble. If thye dont listen,m then you should cause toruble.

My upstairs neighbor does a LOT of stomping at weird hours. Turns out is her 5 year old running around on bare floors playing between 7pm and 1am, and getting ready for pre school at 6am. You just kind have to forgive and get used to it. What I do is sleep with the tv on, as white noise helps a lot.

Every morning at 4:15 am play soundtracks from old school mafia movies preferably with James Cagney. When they ask you if you know what's going on pretend like you don't know. You could also try creating pentagrams in the back yard with rocks. Play ignorance every time.

Or, you could just mention it to them, they may not even know they are being loud.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.