Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

If you know you cant afford it, dont buy it.

Doesn't sound that hard right?

Guy replying to a CL ad to buy my truck, sure cool meet me here. Shows up test drives says how nice it is. Offers less than half what i asked. No bruh price is firm i put a lot of work into this. Asks if he can write a check. No, bruh. leaves.

Seriously, why do people do this? Do they think they have some unspoken trust with other people about money? I would trust a randoms check for 50 cents must less 15k. Why even try if you dont have the money. Oh i forgot this is Murika we always buy things we cant afford.

He may have just been trying to haggle. He may have been hoping you were desperate for money and would have taken a low ball offer.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

You think that's messed up? I paid off my formerly huge student loans last week. Logically, you would think my credit goes up, right?

Nope. Went down sixty nine points. =/

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Nothing wrong with trying to negotiate, but it doesn't really sound like he tried to do that.
    sounds more like the op wasnt trying to do that tbh... half is low, but is better than 0... not even a counter offer

That's not how credit rating works. Carrying a balance and making regular payments makes it go up.

Lowball offer? Welcome to Craigslist.

I'll say this.. it's entertaining as hell when selling something that you're not all that desperate to part with, and just throwing the no-hammer down on any lowball effort.

Craigslist is pretty much negotiation central. That's an obnoxiously low offer, but there is something to be said for making a crazy number of crazy low offers - you might be surprised what people will accept.

Yep, was probably just looking to haggle. Who pays sticker (or posted) price for a car anyway?

the fact the guy even showed up and actually offered you money is successful for craigslist.
    that place is just full of the weirdest and nonsensical people on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by NewOrleansTrolley View Post
    You think that's messed up? I paid off my formerly huge student loans last week. Logically, you would think my credit goes up, right?

Nope. Went down sixty nine points. =/
    Student loans have almost no effect on your credit rating unless you just stop paying them completely and dodge the creditors on the phone. If your credit rating took a 69 point drop there is more behind that then paying off a low prioritized line of credit.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I think he low balled you to see how low you would actually go. And tbf if you aren't willing to haggle at all, most people won't want to deal with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

10+ Year Old Account
    I get negotiating, especially on craigslist. Thats fine. HOWEVER, you do it one of two ways.

1) You ask if they'd take X amount beforehand.

2) You ask if they'd take X amount there, and if not, take the full offer.

Going out there, wasting people's time, and trying to negotiate, KNOWING you can't pay the full amount is just being a dick.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think that has to do with people trying to buy things they can't afford. I think it's people trying to haggle, poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by soulzek View Post
    the fact the guy even showed up and actually offered you money is successful for craigslist.
    that place is just full of the weirdest and nonsensical people on earth.
    Yeah, word.

I tried to sell my last car on craigslist. Immediately after I put up the listing, I got an email from a guy asking if I was willing to trade for his fucking boat. No. I do not want a boat.

A week later, I got another offer from someone who wanted to trade for his shittyass car. Aside from the fact that I wanted to be minus a car to begin with, his stupid car was probably worth a fifth of what I was asking for mine.

ALSO WHO TRADES VEHICLES AROUND LIKE THAT THE WHOLE CONCEPT IS BIZARRE.

I ended up selling it on Autotrader for close to my asking price. Worth the $25 for the listing.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you try to sell something on Craigslist, post it for 2x what you want to get for it. Then you aren't disappointed at the 1/2 offers

Quote Originally Posted by CatinaSink View Post
    If you try to sell something on Craigslist, post it for 2x what you want to get for it. Then you aren't disappointed at the 1/2 offers
    I have a friend that flips cars for a living. This is pretty sound advice. I wouldn't necessarily go twice over, but definitely ask more than what you're wanting to get for it, but be willing to take a little less. People tend to go off of KBB prices which aren't always accurate.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    sounds more like the op wasnt trying to do that tbh... half is low, but is better than 0... not even a counter offer
    Not up to the OP to haggle, especially if he says, "$15K firm" in his post, which it sounds like he did. Sure, half is better than nothing, but I'm not about to sell my house, appraised at around $300K for $150 K just to say I have $150K. It's stupid to think OP should just cater to someone looking for a deal just to make the sale.

You want someone on craigslist to buy a used car for 15k cash?!... and he's the idiot....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotcha View Post
    You want someone on craigslist to buy a used car for 15k cash?!... and he's the idiot....
    Because money orders, cashiers checks, certified checks, or even wire transfers directly from your phone arent a thing.

His offer was 6k which is less than i put into it restoring it.

Quote Originally Posted by CatinaSink View Post
    This person actually hits on the mark. Should of started with more than what you wanted for it, giving someone space to haggle. When you "part with it" because you are "in a hard place and really need to sell this truck" for what your seller sees as a "bargain" you've made pretty close to your desired price.

Take a look at the information online for something called "Anchoring Cognitive Bias"
    Vote with your wallet if you don't like something. Otherwise just keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    That's not how credit rating works. Carrying a balance and making regular payments makes it go up.
    Which is literally the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

The guy I rent from does Debt management / recovery / consulting for a living. The stories I hear from him about the people he deals with make me wish I could remove the warning labels off off everything so the stupid would clean themselves out of the gene pool faster.

That being said, everything I hear from him about the way credit scores work confirm that the entire system is the work of some incredibly sadistic devil somewhere.