Nobbie's article on next expansion and class

Diablo 3 Expansion 2: Skovos and a new Druid-based Hybrid Class?

A really well researched article on what we should expect from the next expansion in terms of possible location (Scovos) and class (Druid)
    Last edited by Demoncrash; 2015-04-28 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Grammar correction

Interesting read.

Some of the stuff are a too long shot imho but a coupe of points are spot-on: Skovos is very likley to appear due to the connection with the already in-game stuff; also what we're missing is a shapeshifter class that can cover more roles (namely both ranged and melee), so the druid/shaman/amazon or whatever it will be called is a very palpable candidate (as it was crusader as a strenght/shield user which was completely missing).

Let's hope for an announcment.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

I wonder if we are going to have choices between being good or evil. Atleast RoS's ending makes it look that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    I wonder if we are going to have choices between being good or evil. Atleast RoS's ending makes it look that way.
    Yea, the character end cinematic says that the Nephalem are now feared by both Heaven and Hell. So it would be cool if we could pick a side and fight for them.

There's also a good chance that there are other Nephalem champions who would rather become Gods themselves than help the people of Sanctuary, and it would be our job to stop them. Kinda like Baldur's Gate 2 : Throne of Baal

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm guessing/hope that the final boss will be a rogue Nephalem. It only makes sense, we've kill a demon and an angel, the only thing left is a Nephalem , but a REALLY strong old one, like one of the very first.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Kind of an interesting read. Skovos definitly seems like it'd be a likely place to go next since it's one of the only leads we really have right now. Aside from the prime evil (in whatever form) being around somewhere.

I kinda like the class idea after reading it. You could do stuff like go werebear or something for the extra defense and go ranged afterwards. So you'd still be protected from jailer/thunderstorm etc + having benefits from being ranged. I always like it when you can swap abilities around depending on what you need (offense/defense). Some classes currently kinda lack it.

As a sidenote, someone should tell their webdesigner you can lock images in the BG instead of having it scroll down with the page and loop. It's a bit more visually pleasing (my inner designer couldn't resist).

Deleted
    Thanks everyone, glad you like it! Regarding that good/evil "faction thing": I don't see this happen because it's beyond the scope of a pure action roleplaying game like Diablo 3.

That said, this is my take on the nephalem becoming a potential antagonist:

On his quest to defeat the former Archangel and now Aspect of Death Malthael, the nephalem (we, the players) is going to enter the "shadow world" after destroying the Soul Prison chain because only in that state he'll be able to attack and end the Reaper. He is successful but it begs the question if the exposure to the realm of shadows made the hero much more sensitive for corruption. Are the nephalem's glowing eyes we're seeing in the final ingame cinematic a sign of the growing hate and hunger for more power, which will eventually lead to him/her joining the "dark side"? This would mean that - after the events of Diablo I - we would change roles once again in D3X2, i.e. the nephalem becomes a "dark wanderer", and we - the adventurers - have to prevent him/her from joining Evil.

Why Skovos?

Mephisto, the Lord of Hatred and formerly imprisoned in the Temple City of Travincal in Kurast, is the number one address when it comes to corruption. It was him who corrupted the High Council of Zakarum, and eventually sent Archbishop Lazarus to reawaken his brother Diablo, which set all things in motion. If I were Diablo now, I'd send Mephisto to corrupt the nephalem and convince him to join the dark side. Skovos with its temples and jungles, like Kurast, would be an exciting and iconic location for this.

Again, this is pure speculation, but if Blizzard wants Mephisto to be back in the game, I'm sure they'll find a way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ophion1990 View Post
    As a sidenote, someone should tell their webdesigner you can lock images in the BG instead of having it scroll down with the page and loop. It's a bit more visually pleasing (my inner designer couldn't resist).
    Done! ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nobbie View Post
    the nephalem becomes a "dark wanderer", and we - the adventurers - have to prevent him/her from joining Evil.
    The only problem with that, is unless we're playing as the bad guy it doesn't make much sense, to me at least, to have our Nephalem turn into the bad guy. You can't really just suddenly say "Act 6... You're a different person now, all that stuff you just did, you didn't do that a different guy did and now he's evil, go kill him."

IF we're going to make a Nephalem the bad guy, either have us play as the bad guy, with the last boss being the Angiris Council, or possibly Tyrael/Imperius OR have an ancient Nephalem emerge from... Somewhere, probably Skovos... And have her (whoever the antagonist is, it'll be female, so they can alternate Femdiablo, Malthael, new bad girl) try to destroy the world or whatever and then we, being the only good nephalem, have to kill her, because no on else is strong enough.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

What if you fight other Nephalem who were corrupted en route to the fallen star, i.e. every character class except the one you are playing?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I'm guessing/hope that the final boss will be a rogue Nephalem. It only makes sense, we've kill a demon and an angel, the only thing left is a Nephalem , but a REALLY strong old one, like one of the very first.
    Er.... Zoltun Kulle?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Er.... Zoltun Kulle?
    yeah he gets back alive and we fight him another time since he was clearly underused in Act2 :P

The problem with a good/evil hero alignment is that it wouldn't work well in an arpg; also there needs to be a reason to choose one side, not only for lore but also for game mechanics/rewards. Like, some exclusive "very good" or "very evil" gear/cosmetics.

I would see much more appropriate that Sanctuay becomes the enemy of everyone. Demons are very familiar with our power, but now also Angels know that we can kill also them if we just wanted. can be very possible that the great war becomes a full out war on Mephalem by both Demons and Angels (not allying between themselves, more a 3 factions scenario) because both simply fear that one day when we have enough power (and it seems we have already) we can just go "tabula rasa" on everything.

in the end, we're just a speck of dust created by the union of an angel and a demon, that still shouldn't exist in the mind of demons/angels. We're also a threat for both of them - no better chance to clear the universe from us now.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    What if you fight other Nephalem who were corrupted en route to the fallen star, i.e. every character class except the one you are playing?
    That could work, would be pretty awesome too. I find it hard to believe that we were the only person searching for the star.

Er.... Zoltun Kulle?
    Like him, but FAR stronger, like one of the first Nephalem, the ones that were heralded as gods because of their power. Maybe a direct child of Inarius and Lilith.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    The only problem with that, is unless we're playing as the bad guy it doesn't make much sense, to me at least, to have our Nephalem turn into the bad guy. You can't really just suddenly say "Act 6... You're a different person now, all that stuff you just did, you didn't do that a different guy did and now he's evil, go kill him."

IF we're going to make a Nephalem the bad guy, either have us play as the bad guy, with the last boss being the Angiris Council, or possibly Tyrael/Imperius OR have an ancient Nephalem emerge from... Somewhere, probably Skovos... And have her (whoever the antagonist is, it'll be female, so they can alternate Femdiablo, Malthael, new bad girl) try to destroy the world or whatever and then we, being the only good nephalem, have to kill her, because no on else is strong enough.
    What I meant is that we have to prevent the nephalem from joining Evil/become corrupted, while the potential corruptor is not yet known (maybe Mephisto). ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    So we'd be playing as ourselves, with a mysterious baddie trying to lure us to the Dark Side and we have to resist and eventually kill him...

Yeah that could work. Although I'd love to have the option to join the dark side, for shits and giggles .

Deleted
    Yep, we already switched roles a while back when the D1 hero (the player) became the Dark Wanderer (in D2).

Er.... Zoltun Kulle?
    Kulle was not a Nephalem. He was a Mage(a very powerful one) and the founding member of the Horadrim.

As others have said, we could be looking at one of the Nephalem getting corrupted on his way to Tristram. Or maybe they resurrect the first born of Lilith and Inaruis. A being like that would indeed be a much bigger threat than Diablo and Malthael.

The first generation Nephalems we know about are..

Rathma

Helgrotha

Kalmor Who is already in game as an Act 5 unique.

Bul-Kathos

Talic, Korlic and Madwac

and the most likely candidate...

Philios:-
    When Lilith massacred Sanctuary's renegade angels and demons, Lycander fled back to Heaven, though maintained contact with Philios through an artifact in his possession called the Sightless Eye. However, she ended the romance after her fellow angels discovered she was communicating with someone outside Heaven, and insisted that Philios hide the Eye so that Heaven would not learn of Sanctuary's existence.

Philios grieved, but nonetheless obeyed, hiding the Eye on Skovos. He continued to adventure throughout Sanctuary and in time met the mortal woman Askarra. The two fell in love, and soon, Askarra gave birth to twin daughters.

Philios's daughters ended up retrieving the Eye and forming the basis for Askari society on the Skovos Isles. In the modern day, the island of Philios bares his namesake, and alongside Lycander, he remains at the core of Askari mythology.

Deleted
    Of note in this regard is also the Sisterhood of the Sightless Eye:

"The Sisterhood branches from the Askari. Originally a group of Amazon dissidents, they stole an Askari artifact called the Sightless Eye and fled to Eastgate Keep in Khanduras. Here, they established their own unique style of martial training, focusing on bows."

10+ Year Old Account
    So wait... There are serious hints that the expac will be based on Skovos...

It makes sense that the next big bad will be a Nephalem...

And one of the original Nephalem hid an ancient artifact ON Skovos, which form the basis of their society... Also known as Amazons.

I think I should lay a bet now, we're going to be on Skovos, fighting a Nephalem and the class added will be Amazons (probably Dex based ranged class, class specific weapon Thrown Spear)

Deleted
    As I said in my blog I expect, among other things:

- Skovos Isles

- The nephalem is going to be an NPC (simliar to the D1 -> D2 hero transition), i.e. there will be no side/faction to choose from; we, the adventurers have to stop him from joining Evil

- There will be a very prominent corruptor (my hope is Mephisto)

- Loot 3.0: The "smart loot" system will be scrapped and replaced by a flexible (main) stat system as we know it from Warlords of Draenor, laying the base for a hybrid class and associated, flexible equipment

- More item types (my hope are charms/the talisman)

- The hybrid class will have amazon, druid & shaman "DNA"

- New adventure mode variations, e.g. "Game of Death" (-> Bruce Lee) tower-style rifts with bosses that get stronger with every dungeon level, phat loot if you reach and beat the boss on the last level; the sinking city of Skovos would be perfect for such a dungeon architecure along the lines of D1