Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    My hopes are high.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    Yawn. Dragon Ball was a cliche ridden Shonen that only succeeded because it was everyone's first anime. I've never been able to watch it a 2nd time even through the aid of nostalgia. Toriyama is a fantastic character designer, but a mediocre storyteller.
    3hipster5me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    Yawn. Dragon Ball was a cliche ridden Shonen that only succeeded because it was everyone's first anime. I've never been able to watch it a 2nd time even through the aid of nostalgia. Toriyama is a fantastic character designer, but a mediocre storyteller.
    I actually don't remember my first anime, I just know it was a string of sci fi. I got started with Bubblegum crisis, patlabor, robotech, harlock franchise.

He does have issues being consistent with his storytelling -.-

10+ Year Old Account
    DBZ never had a good story, even in DB. It was simple and thats why I liked it.... I mean look at all these animes that try to be complex, but last for hundreds of episodes and chapters... it gets stupid fast. *cough cough* Naruto *cough cough* Bleach *dies*

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    DBZ never had a good story, even in DB. It was simple and thats why I liked it.... I mean look at all these animes that try to be complex, but last for hundreds of episodes and chapters... it gets stupid fast. *cough cough* Naruto *cough cough* Bleach *dies*
    Attack on Titan is losing it's edge too.

The whole uprising arc just didn't do it for me. Only good thing in that arc was Historia growing up a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Attack on Titan is losing it's edge too.

The whole uprising arc just didn't do it for me. Only good thing in that arc was Historia growing up a lot.
    The better series tend to be the shorter ones where the end had been planned since the beginning. The problem with most extended series is that the source material is still ongoing, and the tricky thing about resorting to filler arcs is they can't actually accomplish anything canon. Even just what seemed like little things, like when Toei fucked up with One Piece by coming up with their own version of three rumble balls.

It'd be nice if there were more gems like FMA:B, Monster, and Card Captor Sakura, but if memory serves me right, none of those aired until the manga they were based on concluded.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope it's like the original Dragon Ball...more about martial arts and adventure instead of god like aliens blowing shit up. I loved DBZ when I was a kid..but now that I'm older, I'd prefer a DB like entry. Haven't had something like that in a while.
    Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed

15+ Year Old Account
    How about "Super Dragon Ball" instead.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AndaliteBandit View Post
    The better series tend to be the shorter ones where the end had been planned since the beginning. The problem with most extended series is that the source material is still ongoing, and the tricky thing about resorting to filler arcs is they can't actually accomplish anything canon. Even just what seemed like little things, like when Toei fucked up with One Piece by coming up with their own version of three rumble balls.

It'd be nice if there were more gems like FMA:B, Monster, and Card Captor Sakura, but if memory serves me right, none of those aired until the manga they were based on concluded.
    That or the gems that never get another season, like Legend of the legendary Heroes -.-

Though there are plenty of gems out there, if they're your cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    That or the gems that never get another season, like Legend of the legendary Heroes -.-

Though there are plenty of gems out there, if they're your cup of tea.
    There are, it's just harder for the longer series to maintain their quality. There's also the nice surprises where an anime adaptation actually ends up being better than the original series or game, like Gungrave and Azumanga Daioh.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are, it's just harder for the longer series to maintain their quality. There's also the nice surprises where an anime adaptation actually ends up being better than the original series or game, like Gungrave and Azumanga Daioh.
    Azumanga Daioh was brilliant. That is an anime I can watch over and over and laugh every time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I might as well toss in this disclaimer.. The filler issues of the original series revolved around the show having to wait for new releases of the manga to progress the story, but still had to produce a new episode each week so when there were manga delays, the show made filler episodes hence why many battles took so damn long to conclude and had a whole hell of a lot of recapping, powering up, and random shots of scenery, not to mention doing side character stories here and there.

DBZ Kai edits the original series down from 291 to 168 episodes, including removal of the entirety of the Garlic Jr Saga. The dialog was also fixed to match the manga better and Goku, while still being a bit of a simple minded fighter, does express more interesting concepts of why he does what he does including actively admitting that he is fine with letting enemies power up just to give him a challenge which can backfire on him.

It's not a complex anime. It's just fun and I'm happy to hear Toriyama still has the energy and desire to keep the story going.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is the only dragonball.

2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    Azumanga Daioh was brilliant. That is an anime I can watch over and over and laugh every time.
    It nails the punchlines and the feels perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    Sorta wish it would be after GT, just because I'm such a nerd for new Super Saiyan forms, but fuck it, It's Dragon Ball lol.

Lol, agreed. Nowadays, animes have evolved a bit from the whole, "main character overpowered no one else matters" bit, but since it's the original creator handling this new Dragon Ball, he'll probably stick to the essence of what made the show successful.
    DBZ has always had its main character, but he has never been the only one to matter. Quite often, he wasn't even the one to defeat the enemies. For much of the series, he wasn't even the strongest character. He was always central to the story, but for the most part he wasn't the only important one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    I hope it's like the original Dragon Ball...more about martial arts and adventure instead of god like aliens blowing shit up. I loved DBZ when I was a kid..but now that I'm older, I'd prefer a DB like entry. Haven't had something like that in a while.
    Well it's in the universe after the buu saga. So everything through DBZ is still there. SS3 will be achievable, aliens will be there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, although the original FMA was airing while the manga was still young, so they just said fuck it and went off the walls. I'm pretty sure the guy who directed hellsing wrote the story line because of this obsession with nazis, the occult, and the world wars.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    How about "Super Dragon Ball" instead.
    This please...

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    This please...
    ultimate dragonball?

Quote Originally Posted by kyoloco View Post
    ultimate dragonball?
    "For the love of god, hopefully the final"-Dragonball for all I care. I'm a hipster in that regard and I wish most anime would stay true to the source material. DB has a beginning and an end. There doesn't really needs to be more. DBZ was a horrible drawn out piece of shit of essentially 5-7minute episodes, because the other half was spend with flashback and spoiling the next episode. GT was just terrible in general and since then the franchise hasn't spawned anything of note. Let it rest ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    "For the love of god, hopefully the final"-Dragonball for all I care. I'm a hipster in that regard and I wish most anime would stay true to the source material. DB has a beginning and an end. There doesn't really needs to be more. DBZ was a horrible drawn out piece of shit of essentially 5-7minute episodes, because the other half was spend with flashback and spoiling the next episode. GT was just terrible in general and since then the franchise hasn't spawned anything of note. Let it rest ffs.
    the people say no

jabroni