Thread: Klingons

Klingons

Is it just me or do the Klingons in The next generation way too tame. I always thought they seem way too sociable and calm than they are in DS9, voyager, and Enterprise. I thought they were way better done in DS9, voyager and Enterprise. Way more believable.

I like complex Klingons. "Klingon angry, Klingon smash" does nothing for me. TNG did it perfectly.

Klingons may be a warrior race, but they aren't mindless brutes. I think they were fine in both TNG and DS9. In the former, things were mostly peaceful and uneventful in the Alpha Quadrant and the Empire (aside from the brief civil war), and in the latter they fell back into their warlike/imperialistic traditions...with a little push from outside sources...

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    I like Worf, michael dorn played that role flawlessly. He added so much depth to the klingon race, I view them as really heavily influenced by the Norse..

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it may have had something, at least in part, to do with Roddenberry's involvement in the first few season of TNG. He wanted a more peaceful ideal for Star Trek and part of that was the Klingons having a truce with the Federation. When he got too sick to continue working and stepped back around the third season, it was also about then that Ronald D. Moore was hired and became the go-to guy for all things Klingon. They still mostly stuck to Roddenberry's ideas for the rest of TNG, but when DS9 started, they went with an overall darker tone. When Worf was brought over to the join the cast of DS9 it gave Moore the chance to really explore deeper into the culture of the Klingons and all of the darker aspects of it as well and that lasted through the other Trek series after DS9.

think they're better fleshed out in DS9, especially their society and how not all of them like this extreme warrior culture.

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerds.

My theory is that whenever we see them in TNG they are dealing with Picard, who is probably the most respected non Klingon in existence (arbiter of succession etc.) so that makes all contact much more amicable?

Quote Originally Posted by Wezmon View Post
    My theory is that whenever we see them in TNG they are dealing with Picard, who is probably the most respected non Klingon in existence (arbiter of succession etc.) so that makes all contact much more amicable?
    Well that, and the Enterprise could kick their ass. So they had to stay on their best behavior. :P

But seriously, there was a decent amount of development of Klingon culture even in TNG. Riker's turn as second in command on a Klingon ship, and Worf leaving to fight with his brother come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Wezmon View Post
    Curzon Dax THEN Picard.. probably. Also, we really didn't see to much with TNG, while worf was there, most of the time it centered around Klingons vs Klingons with the federation/romulans on either side in the shadows, there really wasn't much of a Federation vs Klingon, unless of course you count the Duras sisters, but they were more of a sneaky variety then gut you variety.

DS9 more had the Federation vs Klingons (at least for a little while) the moment that ended, it went back to the same style TNG had, especially when Martok took over the empire when Worf killed Gawron

The whole thing with STO doesn't make sense to me after seeing the end of DS9 =/

Quote Originally Posted by Nilinor View Post
    The whole thing with STO doesn't make sense to me after seeing the end of DS9 =/
    At the end of the Dominion War, their reinvigorated thirst for honor and glory on the battlefield put the Klingons at odds with the peace loving Federation, who weren't quite happy about that sentiment. The Klingons also saw the Federation as weak after their attempt to save the Romulans (who did EVERYTHING they could to kill the Klingons and Feds), and then subsequently failed even trying to do that. After a few "incidents", the Klingons openly broke away and decided they'd take their anger out on their neighbors, leading to the Fed-KDF conflict.

There's more to it then that - there was foriegn manipulation involved (By the Iconians), in fighting between the houses, the Emperor wanting to placate his bloodthirsty empire, etc etc - but that's the gist of it.