Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy181 View Post
    It's not like the human population is facing a severe population decline... We could do with a few less humans.
    For sure... 'go forth and multiply' is an obsolete concept.

Deleted
    Just let her mutilate her body however she wants. All you can do is hope she's stupid enough not to suffer the consequences later on in life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scyclone View Post
    While I agree that the husband can't make her, I would imagine the husband has the right to know at least. I know, personally, if I was married and intended on one day being a father, to which my wife would then go and have this procedure done. That would very well make me have to think and consider my own decisions on things. Not exactly saying I'd leave her over it, but that is a legitimate possible option since she doesn't want children (clearly) and I would. Or in the same sense, I'd leave if nothing more than to prevent a mindset of infidelity, as I believe cheating on your spouse is one of the more horrific things you can do to someone.
    Thats why you have the discussion on kids ahead of time.

Deleted
    Here is an alternative for the article http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...-be-sterilised

kinda interesting as it looks like she might work for the guardian and it has a little more detail and her response to comments.

Quote Originally Posted by CatinaSink View Post
    For sure... 'go forth and multiply' is an obsolete concept.
    Not for the state it isn't. Who would supply the work force and pay the taxes if people aren't "refreshing the numbers", so to say? I think Japan is in quite a predicament in this regard. I see it as a sweet irony of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    In order for me to do it, I had to be 25 or older and have a child already. That was through the Military, though.
    Yeah NZ has a similar policy, you are more likely to be approved younger if you already have kids. I suspect in the UK there is some weight on that too.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    It is her body, her decision, and possibly her biggest regret, but should she really expect tax payers to fund her neutering? I'm sure bupa or some such will happily help if she's willing to pay.
    Why should tax payers fund her child support? Do you even think what you're saying?

This is the same argument with abortion here in the states. I personally could give to rat craps if some lady wants to have an abortion, I just don't want the government (my tax money) paying for it except for extreme situations. Same thing here, she wants it done, pay for it yourself otherwise just use protection or stop screwing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Problem isn't whether or not she can get it done, but whether or not the NHS should pay for it. Since it's entirely elective.
    Elective Surgery should never be performed at the cost of the taxpayer. if it was for a medical reason, then fine, take a few eggs, Tie her tubes up and be done with it. But from what I can make out, there is no medical reason for the OP, So she should go to a private clinic and get it done.

Deleted
    1. Doctors should protect you from making decisions that are known to be often regretted later in life, on the other hand, if you can convince a psychologist you want it, i think that should be the end of it. You can say you never want kids all you want but i'm sure doctors are simply taught that most people regret it if they do it before age X.
    2. NHS should pay for this since it's not a elective procedure if you have side effects to the standard treatment. (Elective is a very grey area in the western world anyways).
    3. Doctors have the right to refuse service unless its a emergency.

My biggest question in this situation is whether the quality of life decrease of having to use condoms is worth the potential quality of life decrease 10 years down the line when she might change her mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Elective Surgery should never be performed at the cost of the taxpayer. if it was for a medical reason, then fine, take a few eggs, Tie her tubes up and be done with it. But from what I can make out, there is no medical reason for the OP, So she should go to a private clinic and get it done.
    I know this!
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow. Who said Darwinism was dead?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Having severe side effects to the standard treatment is a medical reason to use this procedure instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    You'd be amazed how - at all ages - condescending people can be on the topic of, "You don't want kids?!?!"

Even at fuckin' 36 people give me the, "Oh, you'll change your mind, you'll want to do it, everyone wants to, you'll want to." lectures.
    I get them telling me that at 41. People are wired to breed, just like any other animal (though humans try to logically justify it). Just about every major tax break in my country excludes people who don't have children. If I were an evil genius I would sterilise the entire human race and make them immortal at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    Having severe side effects to the standard treatment is a medical reason to use this procedure instead.
    Except there's a lot of other possible methods and treatments available before jumping right into authorizing NHS covered sterilization.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Wow. Who said Darwinism was dead?
    Well that is profoundly arrogant. Also - reversible OP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Except there's a lot of other possible methods and treatments available before jumping right into authorizing NHS covered sterilization.
    Like what? All i can think of is condoms and abstinence. Condoms are a quality of life decrease if you are in a long term relationship (tho not a huge one), quality of life is also a medical reason in the west. Abstinence is definitely a quality of life decrease,

People rarely in my experience change their opinions on children. If she knows she doesn't want kids then she should be allowed to be sterilized. I hate kids. Have since I was myself a kid and I know I do not ever plan on having my own. Maybe adopt one someday, but I wouldn't be adopting a baby. And the decision to adopt would be made with my spouse. If I'm single then even less incentive to have a child around. If I needed companionship that bad I'd get a dog.

Deleted
    and once again something is made up to be some news ...

why cant people just let other people do whatever they want, as long as it does not influence them in any way o0

seriously though, she made her decision, just do it when she pays for it. does not matter at all if she will regret it later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Well that is profoundly arrogant. Also - reversible OP.
    Arrogant? Sure. I'll take that. Meanwhile, the subject at hand is profoundly ignorant.