Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Assaulting the Hype

I've noticed a lot of the time when a new technology or a new product or whatever gets announced and a lot of people get excited about it, there's an immediate backlash, where people attack it and try everything they can to pick it apart. Why do they do this?

My gut feeling on it is that they see something a bunch of others are excited about and if they can show that those people are dumb to be excited about it, it makes them feel smarter than all those other people. I think it's a need to feel superior. Next time you're shooting down something someone else feels excited about, ask yourself if it really affects you, or if you're just trying to ruin someone else's excitement because it makes you feel superior to them.

I also think there's a little of this going on:

Any other thoughts?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I'm often sceptical, especially since "science media" has a terrible habit of jumping the gun or blowing every little thing out of proportion. Though not averse to change, I get more excited when I have said miracle thingy in my hands or I can go buy it.

Some people are just cocks though.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Maybe it's because every time you get hyped for something, it comes out and its dogshit

Deleted
    cock reporting in

For at least some products, I do feel like people are more like programmed consumer zombies rather than responsible, rational adults. But hey, people in the western world are renowned for their ability to manage money well, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adonty View Post
    Maybe it's because every time you get hyped for something, it comes out and its dogshit
    So what? You have to ruin someone else's excitement? Have to make them justify why they're excited? Just let them be excited. If it turns out the new tech/product is no good, that's their business.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi256 View Post
    For at least some products, I do feel like people are more like programmed consumer zombies rather than responsible, rational adults. But hey, people in the western world are renowned for their ability to manage money well, right?
    But there. That's what I'm talking about. The idea that you're a free thinking person who understands these things but all those other consumers are just zombies strikes me as a seriously superior attitude. One that gains you nothing but smugness, but kills someone else's joy.

It's like this cartoon, only people are saying it aloud:

Last edited by Reeve; 2015-05-06 at 06:20 PM.

Deleted
    So, Hipsters then?

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    But there. That's what I'm talking about. The idea that you're a free thinking person who understands these things but all those other consumers are just zombies strikes me as a seriously superior attitude. One that gains you nothing but smugness, but kills someone else's joy.
    Racking up credit card debt and ignoring retirement savings just so you can have the latest gadgets is foolish. If people really can't come up with a better way of getting joy in their life, then yes, I'm going to look down on them.

edit: It's worth noting, I don't seek out putting these people down. I keep it to myself - I'm not part of the public backlash you mention in the OP. Nonetheless, I'm just offering you what goes on in my head occasionally.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Coveting is what currently drives our economy. So this is not such a bad thing, as long as you are responsible.
    People who are responsible can do whatever they want with their money. My issue is with the people who clearly aren't responsible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don´t think that sort of behaviour is limited to said subject tbh. Some people are just assholes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Racking up credit card debt and ignoring retirement savings just so you can have the latest gadgets is foolish. If people really can't come up with a better way of getting joy in their life, then yes, I'm going to look down on them.
    But you aren't looking down on people who rack up credit card debt here. You're looking down on someone for liking a product/service/technology/entertainment thing or whatever. You're (the people I'm referring to in the OP anyway) looking down on them as a class, not based on their individual circumstances, but because they like something.

10+ Year Old Account
    People who are responsible can do whatever they want with their money. My issue is with the people who clearly aren't responsible.
    As long as it doesn´t affect me I see no reason getting a headache over it. Then again I´m not that savvy when it comes to economics.

Quote Originally Posted by Samarin View Post
    As long as it doesn´t affect me I see no reason getting a headache over it. Then again I´m not that savvy when it comes to economics.
    That's the foundation of my irritation. I know I'm paying for the irresponsibility of these people in many many indirect ways.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the foundation of my irritation. I know I'm paying for the irresponsibility of these people in many many indirect ways.
    Ok, am I wrong in assuming that you are referring to credit-institutes or such like increasing fees to cover for less responsible individuals ability to pay off their debts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I like to hear both the negative and positive reviews.
    I don't mind hearing negative reviews. What I don't like is that there seem to be a group of people who search out things others get excited about, then go through a lengthy attack process where they work to show why people are stupid for liking it.

But you aren't looking down on people who rack up credit card debt here. You're looking down on someone for liking a product/service/technology/entertainment thing or whatever. You're (the people I'm referring to in the OP anyway) looking down on them as a class, not based on their individual circumstances, but because they like something.
    I think early adopters are a vital part of an economy, as well as consumer tech progress.

At the same time, I already feel a generation gap with the smart-phoners. I have genuine crotchety-old-man-irritation when I see people glued to their smart phones out in the world. It just bothers me. I'm not saying it's rational, I'm not saying I haven't even spent more time in front of a screen in my life than them (heck, I was chatting on the internet when some of them were in diapers), but it just bugs me.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't mind hearing negative reviews. What I don't like is that there seem to be a group of people who search out things others get excited about, then go through a lengthy attack process where they work to show why people are stupid for liking it.
    That just sounds like haters / trolling to me, which is sad but everywhere.

I often criticize consumerism and hardly avoid expressing how stupid mindless consumers are. Not sure if this is the "attack" you are referring to.

Hype is fine when the subject deserves it.

Extreme hype over something that is good is annoying as fuck. And it makes me hate them.

15+ Year Old Account
    I do it if people ask my opinion, but I wouldn't just shit on others excitement for the hell of it. If you make a thread asking what people think, or bring it up with me in real life, I'm going to be honest about what I think

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I'm often sceptical, especially since "science media" has a terrible habit of jumping the gun or blowing every little thing out of proportion. Though not averse to change, I get more excited when I have said miracle thingy in my hands or I can go buy it.

Some people are just cocks though.

Couldn't agree more. Most articles about 'scientific breakthroughs' in normal media nowadays are so beyond overhyped (considering the scientific data its actually based on, and how the 'journalist' interprets that), that actually understanding the science done, means that you will almost automatically be seen as a downer by those that somehow buy the description and scenario given. However optimistic ones viewpoint actually is, if it is based in scientific reality, it simply can not compete with that. For my part, I think it's better to keep at least one leg in reality, but of course there is no reason to go bashing away just for the sake of it.

There are negative people out there. If you're excited about your idea they're more than happy to tell you how bad your idea is and how you'll fail.

It's wonderful to prove them wrong. They motivate me like nobody else can. lol

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland