Slow Build/Upgrade over time

Looking at doing some upgrades, over the next few months, say, 4 or so month time span, as I can afford to. The question is really, the order to buy things, for the best deals, what things I might should be waiting for to come out, either to buy, or to effect the price of parts I'd want.

Currently, I'm running a 1080 setup, the end goal is to be able to do 4k, and I think I want sli 970s(I'll get monitors on my own, no need to list or cover those, I'll take them last, I'm currently running 2 32" 1080s).

Current setup: An older processor, 3.0 I think, ivybridge, I also think, it's been a while, and it's all at home, on a z77 board. 8gigs ram, from around the same time frame, not sure the speed on it. A Nvidia 960, 2gig. I'll assume I'd need a new case, for whatever board I pick up as well. A 550 psu, which I'm sure I'll need to replace for the vid cards at minimum. I have a nice brand new 480 ssd with high speeds, and a few old tera drives for storage, so no need for that, and a dvd laying around, so also no need for that.

My guess, I'd have to start with a new case/mobo/processor. Move on to psu/ram/1 vid card. Then Second card and new monitor. So I could bite it all off in managable hunks. But I'm not sure if that is right, would I be better served to get a new vid card, then newer/nicer ram, maybe 16gigs and maybe the new psu, and wait for the newer processors that are releasing to come out, either to get one or hit the price drop? See, this is my dilemma, I'm thinking a few hundred at a time, 200 or 300 a month(maybe more here and there) over the course of like 4-5 months.

Ideas? Opinions? Price lists?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no need to upgrade anything but the GPU (And possibly power supply).

I have a 3570K, likely what you have, and just benchmarked it yesterday against a 4690K at the same clock speed.

At most, you'll see about a 5-7% performance improvement. Not worth the 300-400 you'll spend.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Interesting. I've never bothered tweaking or fiddling with the CPU, though I have for other people, perhaps instead of bothering with the upgrades on that line, I should look into a nice cooler, and overclock a smidge. Dump some cash into a pair of 970s, a psu, and see what that looks like?