How is rift pvp?

Is it balanced? Hows the gear progression? Is there lots to do? In other words, how is it compared to WoW ?

Im a WoW player wanting to check rift out.

In my opinion, awful. It suffers from all the problems injecting PVP into a default PVE design entails. The battlegrounds are also dull and unremarkable in design.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by huerohueroxxx View Post
    Is it balanced? Hows the gear progression? Is there lots to do? In other words, how is it compared to WoW ?

There is no competitive pvp. I haven't played in a while but in the past there were huge gear gaps that they now finally removed, haven't tried it since.
    You can level in pvp quite well, and it's fun.
    I actually like the warfronts (battlegrounds), there are some variety and I think they have released 1 or 2 more since I last played.
    There is another pvp mode that is called conquest, large scale pvp with 3 factions fighting eachother. They have two maps for this, and that mode has not been very successful, but they have added rewards good enough to make people do it anyway.
    It's free and you should give it a try tbh, especially since it's a fun leveling option as well when questing can feel a bit boring, Rift doesn't offer best leveling experience in terms of their quests

You can get gear from pvp and pve, there used to be separate pvp sets and a huge grind to get them.
    I don't know how balance is atm, but it used to be because of gear differences so I guess with less gear difference the balance is a little bit better, or at least they can focus a bit more on it. However, the talent trees are designed the way wow used to, so hybrids can be made and all that stuff, which makes balancing a bit more tricky.
    Last edited by mmocb8e9590de3; 2015-05-05 at 02:06 PM.

For levelling, when I last played, it was actually very enjoyable. The queues didn't take long to pop (5 minutes more or less) and you could get some cool-looking and powerful gear to use in pve as well. Additionally, the way the soul system is set-up you could try various, potentially-fun builts. The warfronts were also quite entertaining as well.

I did not try pvp at top level to have an opinion on that.

Deleted
    I find it very unbalanced. Warfronts can offer some enjoyable gameplay, but people just takes too long to die; some duels just goes on forever because of constant healing and it's not really fun.
    Fighting also requires kiting, always, running away and shooting if you're ranged or running behind and hitting if you're melee. Positioning is a pain, and really the worst part of playing melees in this game IMHO.

Sooo. Don't play Rift for PVP.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love it but I have a pvp group I play with, rule n.1 do not take Rift pvp serious as the game is even more pve oriented than WoW.

Pvp was literally an after thought and Trion refused to add arenas.

Quote Originally Posted by huerohueroxxx View Post

I'm not saying this because I worked there, in fact you'd think the opposite since I was one of those laid off, but the PvP is stellar. I've played just about every MMO, and as far as the gameplay in PvP, RIFT is hands down my favorite. And this comes from someone who has gone back to playing WoW for the time being.