Class Missions which Limit Companion Choices [SPOILERS]

Playing through SW-TOR, from time to time, I would encounter nasty surprises, where the game would force me to use a companion that I had not equipped properly, or take away a companion to which I had given my best equipment.

To aid other players (and myself, if I choose to re-play some of the stories), I would like to catalogue these instances, and attempt to avoid as many spoilers as I can in the process.

• Sith Inquisitor
    • Sith Warrior
      • Before Coruscant: You must fight Malavi Quinn (I don't know if how you've geared him affects anything)
    • Bounty Hunter
    • Imperial Agent
      • Entirety of Corellia: Removal of Kaliyo
        After Voss, the mission "Road to Ruin" calls you to Dromund Kaas, where some Imperial people arrest Kaliyo. She returns to your party at the start of the your final Agent mission (to conclude Chapter 3): "The Star Chamber".
    • Jedi Consular
    • Jedi Knight
      • End of Chapter 1: Must use Kira
        For the Mission "Fate of the Jedi", you must use your Kira Carsen companion to at least start the boss (Darth Angral) fight. You can run away and then summon a different companion if you'd like.
      • Final part of final Mission (end of Chapter 3): Must use T7-O1
        To face the Emperor in the final JK mission, "Doomsday", you have no choice but to use T7 (or no companion).
    • Trooper
      • Final Mission for Chapter 2: Lose a companion for a period of time after the mission. Must use Yuun and Tanno Vik during the mission.
        For the first half of the Mission "Battle of the Gauntlet", you must use Yuun. You don't even see your companions as "Unavailable" - at this point, you have one companion in your crew list. For the second half of the mission, you must use Tanno Vik.
        Also, in a dialog ahead of the mission, you choose two companions out of Elara Dorne, Aric Jorgan, and M1-4X. Depending on the combination you choose, one companion will suffer an "injury" and you will lose the use of that companion for a period of time (on the order of hours, I think). If you pick Forex and Jorgan, you lose Jorgan. For any other combination, you lose Dorne.
    • Smuggler
    Last edited by palswim; 2015-11-24 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Fixed data on Jedi Knight

Regarding the Jedi Knight story, I just finished it today for the first time. It was a nasty surprise with the droid, but at least once you get into the temple and before facing the final boss, there are some "old droid remains" that you can loot and they give you a complete gear set for T7 that is more than good enough for that fight. However, up to that point were most of the fighting occurs you are SOL.

I hope that helps

PS I also remember that the Sith Inquisitor had to take the archaeologist companion (osrry, I forgot his name) in a couple of caves in Hoth, but it was nothing major. Plus, he is on level so his gear is not that bad.
    Last edited by Fkiolaris; 2015-05-05 at 09:10 PM.

I didn't (yet) include the missions where your companion joins you as a guest before fully joining your party because probably half of the companions in the game have a mission like this, and also, you usually can complete most of the mission with a different companion and only need the specific companion at certain points of those missions (i.e. to click on something or to talk to an NPC).

I also did not include any companion missions because I figured that most people understand the need for the specific companion in those missions.

That is actually one aspect of the companion system+class misison system that i really really hate. On my Agent i was lucky that i was using the fembot and keeping her geared up instead of Kaliyo. Even though i didnt use Kaliyo, not even for crew skill missions i was pissed because it just seemed like such a terrible design decision. I've also experienced the one with the Trooper comps and Sith Warrior comps, the JK i've only heard about.

But the main things that i dislike about the comp system is how i will level my toon as a certain AC/discipline but then i have to choose between the comp that i would like to use (personality/appearance wise) and the comp with the spec that i want or need (tank/dps/heals). Like i will level an Arsenal Merc or Gunnery Commando and the companion spec that i want is Gault/Jorgan (they have mirrored abilities) but the comp appearance i want is Mako, Dorne, Blizz or 4X. With my Mara/Sent i can use Vette, Jaesa or Kira until about late-Voss at which point for some fights i use a healer. By Makeb i have to run around with a healer full time. But then i have to run with Quinn who i hate or Doc who i hate even more.

It would be nice if they redesigned the companion combat system so that you can pick anybody you want and then you can pick what spec you want them as. Like healer, melee tank, ranged tank, melee dps or ranged dps. If i want to run an Agent and have Kaliyo as a melee dps instead of a ranged tank then give me that choice. If i want to roll a Merc and have Mako be a ranged dps then give me that choice. It would also help out some AC's who do not get healers until way late in the game. Jedi Knights dont get their healer until level 35-36 while Sith Warriors get their healer at level 19-20? what kind of crap is that? Another one is how some classes go for long stretches without getting a new comp. Agent gets Kaliyo on Hutta but you dont get your next comp until level 30 or so on Alderaan. Inquisitor gets Xalek between Voss and Corellia? it would have been nice to get him earlier in the game so you have more chances to have fun with him as you level. Unfortunately i dont forsee us getting any of those. The point at which you can get your comps would require story rewrites which they wont do. The other one with giving every comp all available specs probably may not happen either.

At some point you have to use nadia Grell for JC class. I think it is the quest to kill Stark but I'm not sure.

However just so some of you know. You do not actually have to use a particular companion in those situations. Many times I started the story with the required companion but then dismissed them. Brought out who I wanted and continued on.

When it comes story time again, Just bring back out the one required.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    However just so some of you know. You do not actually have to use a particular companion in those situations. Many times I started the story with the required companion but then dismissed them. Brought out who I wanted and continued on.

That is correct. However, with the trooper and jedi knight parts mentioned above you can't do that because all other companions are greyed out.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post

I'm not trying to catalog those instances, but even in some of those instances (e.g. Vette's Star of Ryloth mission), the conversation ends with a fight, so you must fight a boss or group of enemies with the companion you used for the conversation.
    Last edited by palswim; 2015-11-24 at 06:49 PM.

Just a minor correction, it's Correlia, not Coruscant

As far as having a limited access to companions I know for the Jedi Consular that right before you go to corellia you lose one of your love interests. I think it's somehow tied to them. They go on some mission and their escape pod crash lands on corellia and you have to go rescue them.

For the Jedi Consular it could either be Lt Iresso or Nadia but it's a little weird how it works. It takes the one you are not using IIRC but you will be down one companion till you rescue them. I do not remember the name of that quest.

Deleted
    I wouldn't say that the fact that you have to use T7 in the final act of the Jedi Knight storyline is a "problem".

It's like Revan/Exile and T3-M4, Anakin/Luke and R2-D2

Eventhough they had humanoid/alien companions, the astromech droid was their main comp.

I'm usually pretty good with being forced to use a certain companion. BUT... I was enjoying my trooper until I got him to 44. Which was after the Gauntlet... I'm not even sure how I felt after that... because my gunnery commando normally runs with Elara Dorne :P But after being forced to use BOTH Yuun and Vik. I just logged off of him, and haven't touched him since then. The running up to General Garza 9000 times in the Senate Tower is getting kinda old, too. Just noped my way out of there.

JK being forced to use droid was fine, too... because you can get level appropriate gear. Kinda sucks up until that point... but... I'm not much of a complainer :P

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    JK being forced to use droid was fine, too... because you can get level appropriate gear. Kinda sucks up until that point... but... I'm not much of a complainer :P
    With a recent play through on my second Jedi Kinght, the gear for the droid is easy to obtain now. No longer needed to solve a puzzle, re-enter the zone due to the chest being non-interactable. A needed fix.

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by karumayu View Post
    With a recent play through on my second Jedi Kinght, the gear for the droid is easy to obtain now. No longer needed to solve a puzzle, re-enter the zone due to the chest being non-interactable. A needed fix.
    Yeah I noticed this myself and it was a welcome change being right there. On my Sentinel I played at launch my T7 was horribly undergeared going into the final boss because I didn't even know there was a hidden chest for loot until after I finished it. Recently did a Jedu Guardian (Evil this time) and enjoyed the ancient droid being there so I could grab gear for T7.