Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

30.000.000 confirmed

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/...illion-players

Anyone remembers how some people (the usual suspects) laughed about this game when it was first announced ?

No other game gathered 30 million a mere ... 14 months after its initial launch... ever.

it's been released on tablets and even phones now as a free to download game. I download free games all the time, play them for 5 minutes, and delete the app. not really saying much when talking about a "free" game that is availiable on every platform imaginable.

now show me a stat that says 30 million have actually made an in-app purchase and i might be impressed.

I wonder how many of them 1. actually play regularly/are active players and 2. how many have paid at least a dime.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    I wonder how many of them 1. actually play regularly/are active players and 2. how many have paid at least a dime.
    Not really interested how many have spent money, but it would be interesting know the first part though; just how many of those are regularly active players. I'm sure it's a large number, but as such, number like 30mil doesn't really tell us much.

I'm one of those 30m. I play one match every 2 months.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Played it for 5 mins and it drained my battery and i uninstalled it. I must be an active player by not playing that game

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post

Anyone remembers how some people (the usual suspects) laughed about this game when it was first announced ?

No other game gathered 30 million a mere ... 14 months after its initial launch... ever.
    I played the game for 1 hour and I'm counted as one of 30 million. While I'm sure the real number of active players is still very impressive, you have to be mentally retarded to believe it's anything close to 30mil.

Considering the development time is less than other games, the value it generates for Blizzard is insane.

Who cares when there's the 1% that has spent 1000+ dollars on packs and stuff. That's $300 million already.

Don't mind me, just making the usual rounds.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...bored-and-done

I find this a good post, so I respond to it.

First there are all kinds of solitary games and yes there are dozens of solitary games you can play at 4-5 hours a day. I'll give a few very specific ones: Ambush and its many expansions (board wargame), LoTR Living Card game, any serious wargame simulation without hidden movement. I played War in the East back in 1979 at 5 hours a day for 3 months long (yep I was a student back then and I always passed my studies in the first exams per year... So I had 3 months vacation

Of course then there are the games - casual or not - that you can play forever with a very HIGH degree of fun: Poker is but one.

But Hearthstone doesn't fall in that category. Not at all. It is NOT casual enough to replace Crazy Birds (stupid game too) and it is PvP based with a very (boring) hardcore surrounding these days.

Nope, not a lot of women will be attracted to it. And nope apart from the usual "gamers" crowd it won't enter general public acceptance either.

Part of that is due to the PvP kind of seeding, part of it is that HS is the wrong kind of game to be played for months long.

Will it penetrate the giant smartphone market? Nope. Can it be a hit on tablets? Let's hope for Blizzard, but frankly I think the "vogue" will be very limited, because most people will get owned by the hardcore crowd.

---
    TLDR So HS falls between two different markets: due to its PvP nature it falls out of the casual market and due to its boring "we play the same cards" and copying EVERYTHING from the internet in deck compositions, it will have limited interest in the long run.

I was one of the guys who thought it would conquer the world. Sadly it will not.

It lacks depth, it lacks casual, it lacks GOOD and LONG TERM interest.

----

I am sad about it because I think the WOW franchise deserves better, but after the rape on Diablo, I am no longer surprised either.

Blizzard simply launched too many mediocre games: SC2 (far too PvP niche for a Blizzard game) - D3 and now HS.

And this is MORE than a personal opinion, as both SC2 and D3 hardly got ANY prices in the gaming community.

I am afraid Heroes of the Storm will go the exact same way: too hardcore for the casuals and too limited to play it for 10 years.

As it turns out in these last years, WOW was a very a-typical game even for Blizzard standards.

----

Perhaps the Legacy of WOW is already too hard on Blizzard, but that's the way it is: I don't accept mediocre games from a company that gave the world the biggest MMORPG world to date.
    *tapdances away*

Oh god, it goes right to the "well, that's only 30 million that's touched the game!".

It's still impressive for something everyone was caught off guard about at first.

are you sure?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I'm one of those 30m. I play one match every 2 months.
    I'm 4 of them. I have 4 different battle.net accounts. Still only 1 player, and I play once every 2-3 month for tops a few days.

Weren't you one of those people saying it wouldn't do well?

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    I'm 4 of them. I have 4 different battle.net accounts. Still only 1 player, and I play once every 2-3 month for tops a few days.
    I am 2 of those. I deleted it from my phone the moment it asked me to create an account.

I added to my tablet soon after.

One game later, I reclaimed my space back.

I won my three games, got my mount and promptly removed the game from my computer about a week later, tried to get into again last night and decided it wasn't worth my time.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Don't mind me, just making the usual rounds.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...bored-and-done

*tapdances away*
    ahhh, yes there it is.

And then people say MtG is more popular...

The amount of rage at a game doing well is astounding.

Less haterade people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    I have 432 battle.net accounts. And I only play once every 3 years for 30 seconds. I'm 432 of them.