Thread: Vegetarianism

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Vegetarianism

I have recently made the switch to cutting meat out of my diet. I didn't do it for the animals or to help save the environment. I did for a personal reason to see if I can do it for myself personally. Sort of like quitting cigarettes. I eat tons of leafy greens and fruits along with some nuts and seeds with hearty beans. I typically drink water almond/cashew milk or some type of juice. I have noticed my body have quite some positive changes. I have more energy, overal complexion is brighter, hair and eyes are softer. I rest better and my body doesn't fatigue as quickly. Even my bowel movements have seem to improve.

I have been vegetarian for about 2 months now and have noticed certain things especially around people who don't understand my life choice. Going out to eat with friends can be a little weird. Some people think it's weird or wrong to do. I feel like it's socially misunderstood.

Would any of you guys try it out for a certain period of time?

Do you care for it?

Do you think it's inpratical?

I might try it just to see what's it like at some point.

I tried it.
    I hated it.

Every vegetarian recipe i have ever tried, even the "good ones" recommended by friends or restaurants, taste like crunchy sadness to me.

I know its probably waaaaay healthier than what i eat now, and to this day i try vegetarian recipes my friends/family like and, and i just want to bite into a live cow after trying them.

i like vegetables, but i like them with meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Maulina View Post
    I tried it.
    I hated it.

Every vegetarian recipe i have ever tried, even the "good ones" recommended by friends or restaurants, taste like crunchy sadness to me.

I know its probably waaaaay healthier than what i eat now, and to this day i try vegetarian recipes my friends/family like and, and i just want to bite into a live cow after trying them.

i like vegetables, but i like them with meat.
    I can avoid red meat, but I love meat, it can be fish, hell insects are not bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    That's the only reason to really try it. If it works for you, that's great.

going in open minded like that, just to see how it works just makes perfect sense. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Durotar Thug View Post
    I have noticed my body have quite some positive changes. I have more energy, overal complexion is brighter, hair and eyes are softer. I rest better and my body doesn't fatigue as quickly. Even my bowel movements have seem to improve.
    I don't know how much meat you've been consuming before, but if it wasn't a perversely one-sided diet, this is a total placebo effect. It's been only two months. And it's not like meat is some kind of poison one should completely omit from one's diet.

But in the end, who cares. If it makes you feel better ...

Deleted
    I eat a lot of vegetarian myself, but that's because half of my friend circle consists of vegetarians/vegans. Vegetarian pizza is great as well. Pizza with mushrooms, jalapenos, covered in garlic sauce.. Yummy! Vegan pizza on the other hand can go fuck itself. Disgusting crap.

Also, I would never be able to live with myself if I ate vegetarian at a barbeque. I can eat vegetarian any time except at a barbeque, that's where I draw the line.

I don't think those positive changes are due to you cutting out of meat, rather you over thinking your whole diet. I bet you didn't eat as healthy as you do now. It's what you replaced it with, not it being replaced.

But yeah, I get you. I don't really like most meat and I avoid it. Especially if it's a flat steak or something, it has to be processed (sausages, Kebab, salami and stuff).

Nothing wrong with vegetaranism, let the people get a heart attack with 50 if they love their diet that much, my father learned that the hard way.

Your feeling better has nothing to do with your vegetarian diet, but rather that you eat less unhealthy foods than you used to. There are plenty of healthy meat-dishes.

10+ Year Old Account
    It most likely a placebo effect if you "feel" changes only over 2 months period. Don't forget to take b12 vitamins and get tested for homocysteine at least once per year.

Anyways, any kind of diet will help you to feel better, it's not the case of being vegetarian, it's the case of knowing what and how much you eat and how much energy you spend.
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2015-05-06 at 08:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who else will eat the animals?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Who else will eat the animals?
    We'll just have to have more barbeques, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Durotar Thug View Post
    I have recently made the switch to cutting meat out of my diet. I didn't do it for the animals or to help save the environment. I did for a personal reason to see if I can do it for myself personally. Sort of like quitting cigarettes. I eat tons of leafy greens and fruits along with some nuts and seeds with hearty beans. I typically drink water almond/cashew milk or some type of juice. I have noticed my body have quite some positive changes. I have more energy, overal complexion is brighter, hair and eyes are softer. I rest better and my body doesn't fatigue as quickly. Even my bowel movements have seem to improve.

I have been vegetarian for about 2 months now and have noticed certain things especially around people who don't understand my life choice. Going out to eat with friends can be a little weird. Some people think it's weird or wrong to do. I feel like it's socially misunderstood.

Would any of you guys try it out for a certain period of time?

Do you care for it?

Do you think it's inpratical?
    No, humans need to eat animal meat. You wouldn't survive in the cold tundra without eating some form of animal for very long.

I personally wouldn't go vegetarian since I like meat too much, not that there is anything wrong with it, however one would need to take some sort of supplements to get the essential fats that we can only get from either consuming meat or taking supplements.

Well done! I've been Vegan for 1 year and a half, vegetarian for 1 year before that, best choice I've ever made. I made the switch for ethical reasons, but after learning more about it I can definitely say that I'm also Vegan for my health and for the environment.

Eating meat is just another habit, you may struggle the first few weeks but then it becomes normal. For all of you saying that vegetarian food tastes like crap, the trick is to avoid meat and dairy substitutes for the first couple of months, after that your taste will change and you'll be able to appreciate nut cheeses, tofu, seitan etc more, even though they are not a necessity.

Your feeling better is not a placebo effect, it is well known that a whole food plant based diet can do wonders to our body, if you have doubts checkout Nutritionfacts.org

EDIT:
    Oh and as I'm sure you know by now get ready to get a wave of hateful, ignorant comments like:
    "Bacon ftw"
    "But what about canines?"
    "You will become protein deficient"
    "God has put animals on earth for us to eat"
    "Our ancestors have always eaten meat"
    "If we stop eating meat animals will take over the planet"
    "Plants have feelings too"
    ...and so on xD
    Last edited by Moonlily; 2015-05-06 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    No, humans need to eat animal meat. You wouldn't survive in the cold tundra without eating some form of animal for very long.
    Humans don't need to eat meat, they need nutritions that are in meat, whichcan be found elsewhere, and some supplements. What cold has to do with diet is beyond me though, you could eat a shitton of carbs to sustain your energy balance too.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlily View Post
    Well done! I've been Vegan for 1 year and a half, vegetarian for 1 year before that, best choice I've ever made. I made the switch for ethical reasons, but after learning more about it I can definitely say that I'm also Vegan for my health and for the environment.

Eating meat is just another habit, you may struggle the first few weeks but then it becomes normal. For all of you saying that vegetarian food tastes like crap, the trick is to avoid meat and dairy substitutes for the first couple of months, after that your taste will change and you'll be able to appreciate nut cheeses, tofu, seitan etc more, even though they are not a necessity.

Your feeling better is not a placebo effect, it is well known that a whole food plant based diet can do wonders to our body, if you have doubts checkout Nutritionfacts.org
    We have canine teeth for a reason. Well not everyone has them, but mine are long, sharp, and designed for tearing animal flesh. The dentist even commented on my amazing canine teeth.
    Last edited by Hooked; 2015-05-06 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlily View Post
    Eating meat is just another habit
    Eating tofu is just another habit. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Good thing we don't all live in the cold tundra then

oh yea for sure. I Naturally have just lost my taste for meat without it being heavily seasoned and even then im not enthused about chewing it. Here is the catch tho. My trim circle is full of low income/lower middle type of SF neo hippy-post rave types and I cook for them when they are here working so, like, I literally put a, "No milk, wheat, non organic, alkaline water only," blah blah blah meal together, and seeing how a few of them are on the verge of poverity but LOVE to buy huge kumbucha bottles to drink, and only eat the highest quality foods, "because issues." really turns me the fuck off to it. Now I am not saying this is the rule, they clearly are the exception, but it turns me off to the whole idea. GOod luck tho ^_^
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.