Deleted

forms of e-publishing?

hey y'all,

i've been wondering whether there are any alternatives to the pdf format if it comes to e-publishing. i'm looking to share a big bunch of information with fellow grad students in electronic form. basically a lot of text, huge resolution photos and videos (or at least links to videos). all in one file that's easy to navigate and could potentially also be printed.

now, i'm not very tech-savvy and my normal way of doing this would be to compile a sad-looking pdf... i'm sure there must be better options out there. do you happen to know of any alternatives? different file formats, maybe some kind of free-to-use or cheap software?

thanks for any suggestions

Why do you need anything other than PDF?

Deleted
    it's not a pressing need, i was just wondering about alternatives mostly. can you even embed videos into pdfs?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    a wiki would be a great idea! i'm just concerned it's not the most printable format :/

Quote Originally Posted by BenMilim View Post
    a wiki would be a great idea! i'm just concerned it's not the most printable format :/
    Google Docs then, I believe you can embed pictures, the document is shareable with others too who have google accounts and it prints out on a printer or saves to a PDF file, among many other formats.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

it's not a pressing need, i was just wondering about alternatives mostly. can you even embed videos into pdfs?
    If you need to embed multimedia content, use HTML. You can embed videos to PDFs but I am not sure how good that is. You still haven't answered the fundamental question. Why do you need anything other than PDF? If you answer this, I can help.

If all you need is name of the alternatives, here is one I know.
    If you are interested in sharing the source itself, consider LaTeX
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2015-05-06 at 10:17 AM.

Deleted
    hey y'all,

i've been wondering whether there are any alternatives to the pdf format if it comes to e-publishing. i'm looking to share a big bunch of information with fellow grad students in electronic form. basically a lot of text, huge resolution photos and videos (or at least links to videos). all in one file that's easy to navigate and could potentially also be printed.

now, i'm not very tech-savvy and my normal way of doing this would be to compile a sad-looking pdf... i'm sure there must be better options out there. do you happen to know of any alternatives? different file formats, maybe some kind of free-to-use or cheap software?

thanks for any suggestions

Alternatives but I doubt there is anything that would solve your specific problem. I would just duke it out with pdf.

A Kuntantee suggested I would use HTML if someone forced me at gunpoint not to use pdf.

Deleted
    my problem with google docs is that it slows down my computer tremendously. though i must admit i make extensive use of its feature to convert text into pdf.

what i don't like about pdf is my inability to embed videos properly. is there something that, if it comprised 300 pages of text, pictures and videos, would not take ages to load and to navigate on a normal, non-gamer computer?