Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Do you have any irrational fears? What are they and why do you have them?

As the title states, do you have any irrational fears? Or Fears in general that might seem odd to most but completely normal to you?
    If so, how'd you manage to get them? Ever attempt to face them or even over come them?

Again just curious for the sake of science.

Deleted
    I can't stand butterflies. Disgusting things.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've got two that don't make much sense to most.

The first is of Moths, due to my eldest brother locking me in a room filled with big gypsy moths (about the size of a tennis ball). They're pretty terrible. As I've grown older I'm more uncomfortable around them and less scared.

The second which I really can't explain would be swimming in really deep water.
    I could probably attribute this one to the big eels in Mario 64. As stupid as that sounds.

Having my eyelids ripped off with a pair of pliers.

Edit: Oh yeah, used to be terrified on zombies when I was younger. I got a job working directly across from a graveyard, by myself in the middle of the night. Boy...that was a challenge.
    Last edited by RapBreon; 2015-05-08 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dixincide View Post
    I could probably attribute this one to the big eels in Mario 64. As stupid as that sounds.
    thalassophobia, my man. i share in that, only for me... it was either the shark in banjo kazooie or the crap from jak and daxter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasps, bees and bumblebees. I'm super afraid of of 'em.
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dixincide View Post
    Oh yeah, I hate that too. At least outdoors. It's not the kind of fear where I can't swim in it at all but I always feel a bit panicked whenever I do it. I'm not afraid of big things more than being bitten by a bloody pike.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spiders!

Yeah I don't fucking like those things or rats or mice. If I could press a button they'd all be gone.

Why? Because I don't like anything that ugly and small fast enough or brave enough to invade my space they all must die.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2015-05-08 at 02:04 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Equinophobia, acrophobia and claustrophobia.

Spiders for me, too. It's a semi-rational fear, I guess, since some of them are incredibly deadly and small, and I'm legally blind, but... buuuuh.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am afraid of toast, specifically the kawaii variety.

Just kidding. I mildly have claustrophobia (I'm not afraid of being in tight spaces, I'm afraid of getting stuck in tight spaces where I literally can't move). I had a few occurrences of that when I was younger so that would be why.

10+ Year Old Account
    A very good friend of mine fell down the stairs to our attic (Nothing happened just heavy breathing). Now I'm scared of small stairs. And ladders. But not heights which is weird.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Like some of the people posting here, I'm also friggin' terrified of deep water (lakes/ocean).
    Heck, I'm afraid of swimming in the lakes here in Finland, even though I know that there's nothing even remotely dangerous in them.

When I was younger I used to even be afraid of deep swimming-pools, thinking someone would let sharks loose in them or some shit like that, heh.
    Funny thing is that I love swimming in general :P

When I was younger I used to be kind of afraid of being in the woods alone, but that got kinda fixed during army-service. Guard-duty in the middle of nowhere when it's pitch black during the night kinda got rid of the fear eventually :P

10+ Year Old Account
    i am afraid of deep water. unless i can see the bottom of it like in a pool. dunno what it's called.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i am afraid of deep water. unless i can see the bottom of it like in a pool.
    I can swim like a fish but yours sounds like a rational fear.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    i am afraid of deep water. unless i can see the bottom of it like in a pool.
    These as soon as i find myself swimming in open waters, my imagination goes wild, and i get so freaking scared!

10+ Year Old Account
    Alligators. . . I cant swim in lakes because of the fear. . . . and they don't even exist in lakes where I live.

I am scared of really big metal structures. Like oil rigs and that stupid boat the Blue Marlin . Fuck that boat and anything it carries.

i am afraid of deep water. unless i can see the bottom of it like in a pool. dunno what it's called.
    I have this too, if I can't see the boundaries (floor/walls) I get this panicked unsettled feeling of dread. idk if it's actually Thalassaphobia, since that's generally a fear of the sea though it can include a fear of open water/emptiness of sea or water/fear of distance from land.

Even in WoW back in WotLK where there was that whales quest in that northern end of Borean Tundra, looking out into nothing was kind of unsettling. Dare I say, triggering.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I have this too, if I can't see the boundaries (floor/walls) I get this panicked unsettled feeling of dread. idk if it's actually Thalassaphobia, since that's generally a fear of the sea though it can include a fear of open water/emptiness of sea or water/fear of distance from land.

Even in WoW back in WotLK where there was that whales quest in that northern end of Borean Tundra, looking out into nothing was kind of unsettling. Dare I say, triggering.
    even in simulated enviroments it tends to trigger it. although wow is one of those exceptions.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.