Poll: Old or New Talent Tree

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Wich talent tree did you like the most?

Classic or New? Please explain why below

Stood in the Fire masterdisaster's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like classic offered some fun things that the new one doesn't offer. My favorite example would be back when Death Knights could be tanks or dps in every tree. I dislike how certain things are now talents that seem like they should just be part of a spec. For instance some mage talent tiers have a choice between fire or frost abilities that I feel thematically should only be available to the primary specializations. The same goes for shadow/holy abilities in the priest trees, frost/unholy abilities in the DK trees, and so on. I understand why they got rid of the old talent system and I agree with most of their reasoning, I just am not very wowed by the new system.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like the format of the old one where everyone had some wiggle room with what they took. But at the same time we're talking 90% cookie cutter VS 100% cookie cutter so the difference is relatively moot.

Ideally I'd love a system that offered real choice by perhaps not focusing so much on your direct combat performance. As it stands right now, I think you get more customization and choice from your glyphs than your talents.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Old one was better. I don't like switching talents so often.

I liked the old one better. It was cookie cutter, but it gave me the illusion of more control over my character. Ideally, I'd like something like the current one with smaller talents between the tiers to put a point in every other level.

What I liked about the old one was that it made it feel like I got a tangible reward every time I leveled up, even if it was negligible. Something as small as putting a point into a talent each level felt nicer than hitting levels with 0 new skills or talents today.

Neither of them in general, esp. when tiersets starts to have effects on some talents too at current time (T18 might be current iteration, but god some of them are horrible compared to talent choices). Would rather have an expanded Glyph system than either of the talent systems. Too many talents which is "Take and never look back".

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Classic talent trees by far, they actually provided some customization to a spec or how you wanted to play. Yes there were min/maxing builds but for the majority of casual/semi-hardcore raiders you could run with many different combinations. You also didn't have to choose between spells like you do now. Old style, offered some theory-crafting that many people put hard work and effort into.

Yeah there were definiatly cookie cutters back then to. I still feel there more options back then.

Aswell as leveling, every single level you had 1 new talent point to spend, every expansion with 10 new talent points opened up a whole new ways of talenting, and every expansion was so exiting when those options opened up.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by danildoen View Post
    Yeah there were definiatly cookie cutters back then to. I still feel there more options back then.

Aswell as leveling, every single level you had 1 new talent point to spend, every expansion with 10 new talent points opened up a whole new ways of talenting, and every expansion was so exiting when those options opened up.
    THIS, I forgot how fun it felt to get a new talent point and place it into something, it actually felt like your character was progressing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    New one is by far better. Old one gave the illusion of having choices and if you didn't spec the correct way you were screwing yourself. New system has options depending on what you are doing and how you play. While it is still mostly cookie cutter you have more actual options now. People who believe otherwise are just kidding themselves.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    New one is by far better. Old one gave the illusion of having choices and if you didn't spec the correct way you were screwing yourself. New system has options depending on what you are doing and how you play. While it is still mostly cookie cutter you have more actual options now. People who believe otherwise are just kidding themselves.
    Old one statistically gave you more options mathematically, by virtue of the point allocation system. Whether or not you were "screwing" yourself is up to the individual player. New system has min/max build for every single fight (albeit it does change per fight based on mechanics).

Deleted
    Aesthetically i prefer the old one. The new one has a lot more flexible functionality though.

I prefer teh new one overall for balancing reasons. I wish all the DK speccs got the feral/guardian treatment though. The old system was fine and dandy until you had to deal with scaling concerns or balancing. Some of those choices were only taken by idiots or for one area of gameplay. Gems like Wand Specialization....

getting that talent point WAS fun, and choosing where it went felt pretty damned nice. And then you later do the math and realize that it maybe had a +.00001% affect on your performance cause it was something like a 5% bonus to one skill that wasn't even 8% of your total output.

The absolute best 'talent' thing I've seen was either rift's where you got extra bonuses for spending points in the tree or something like TSW where you unlocked everything and then chose what effects were active outside combat.

edit:

honestly the only classes that really made the old system shine were Death knights (like 7-9 builds that WORKED and were different), feral druids who tanked and dps'd and maybe them holy shockadins plate clad artillery spell slingers that eradicated undead.

most other things were silly joke stuff that got dropped as soon as you could make a real build work. Non-tank class tanks come to mind.
    Last edited by mickybrighteyes; 2015-05-06 at 09:14 PM.

Deleted
    I don't like that people are changing talents and specs every boss and every arena match. Other than that, the new talent system is a bit better in that it offers more options overall even though some specs were more varied back then.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    New. Old was just copy + paste. New still is, but there are less to copy + paste.

They should've made a system with both, just to make everyone happy!

Old talent tree to choose the less interesting things like +1 haste or +4 damage reduction,
    New talent tree to choose the more interesting things like new habilities.

Would've been cool.

Old one, the illusion of many choices was much better than the illusion of a few.
    *always going to have cookie cutter builds but the old way gave a bit more room for tweaking for different people's play style.

I think Rift's tree system beats the poo out of either of these two systems. It's the older system with a lot more variety.

New ones for sure, at least for me. I love that I am able to switch around talents all the time. I switch them in arenas based on what I'm up against and also for certain bosses in raids and sometimes even for the sake of just mixing things up. It makes classes a lot more fun to play in my opinion and also creates somewhat different play styles that helps with not getting bored of a specific class / spec.

I liked the only one that gave actual freedom and choice to do whatever you wanted - The old one.

You can't even call the new system a tree, it's more of a glorified Glyph System.

There was innumerable ways to spec into your tree, you could put points into all 3 paths, and even pioneer your own specs. Not to mention it was the most rewarding system for leveling, gaining a new point every single level.

As the years have gone on everything has become more basic, less in-depth, less customizable, less RPG-like, and ultimately the game has suffered because of it.

The old system was better in every way.

The old one benefitted the leveling experience. Choices weren't life and death; you could choose what you found interesting, and you had a real sense of character progression. The new one benefits min/max play, making it easier (if less interesting) to spec your toon to the encounter.

I think it's ironic that it worked out this way, because iirc, the devs felt that the game was becoming too complex and inhibiting/intimidating new players, whom they depend upon.