I need help picking a good research topic :(

For my freshman comp class, we are doing a research paper. It only has to be 5-8 pages, but the topic is limited to fads/trends.

": For this essay, you will choose a trend or fad in our modern society and then discuss the causes, which have led to the trend and describe the positive and/or negative current and future consequences. In your analysis of the trend, you will be expected to include specific details from research and experiences to support your argument. "

I am having trouble formulating a decent topic. I don't want it to be too dry. Also, the professor said to sort of avoid topics such as abortion, legalization of any drugs, and anything related to social media.

pls help?

"Listicles"

Top ten reasons your girlfriend cheats on you!

Top ten cities with the best clubbing!

Your ten most favorite colors!

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    "Listicles"

Thats almost social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    "Listicles"

That's an interesting one. And What I meant by social media is, no 'facebook on the youth' and stuff. However, something like 'Instagram and how it is changing photography' would be allowed.

Listicles are interesting. See them all the time, but don't know how I'd find academic research on it (which is a criterion

- - - Updated - - -

I was actually thinking about doing something related to steroids on the young generation. I have been going to the gym since high school and I have witnessed with my own eyes the increase prevalence of roids, especially in high school freshman. I just don't know how I would word the topic

Increase use of steroids in the milennial generation?
    Increase use of steroids of steroids by the youth in order attempt to reach unrealistic standards set out by the media/society?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevertrap View Post
    Increase use of steroids of steroids by the youth in order attempt to reach unrealistic standards set out by the media/society?
    Americas youth: Substance abuse and Fitness.
    Or something

10+ Year Old Account
    I would suggest examining fashion or pop culture trends. Hell, the Hipster subculture could be interesting given it's ripple effects in media entertainment, fashion, food trends, and living environment.
    Princesses can kill knights to rescue dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Karreck View Post
    I would suggest examining fashion or pop culture trends. Hell, the Hipster subculture could be interesting given it's ripple effects in media entertainment, fashion, food trends, and living environment.
    We have to post our topic in a discussion board online since no two people can have the same topic. Someone already claimed hipster. That is literally all they wrote was 'Hipster'

I am going to do steroids and the youth.

These are some of the other posts:
    Pro Gaming
    Professional Wrestling
    relationship between corporations and employees
    Vinyl Records Reintroduced in the Modern Time
    thin shaming
    denial of the holocaust

lol...

Deleted
    "Vinyl Records Reintroduced in the Modern Time"
    Isnt that a way to circumvent that hipster was taken alrdy?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a little confused... it's May. Just about every single school is winding down in terms of the spring semester. Is this something for a summer class, or is this just obscenely late?

If you want to analyze a trend, the easiest way to do it is to do something related to economics, because there's always so much research into trends in that area. In other words, presenting that its a trend is really easy, giving you plenty of room for analysis. The number of graduates who live with their parents is increasing every year, independent of degree... that's a trend with numerous areas of discussion that can easily fill 8 pages with minimal effort.

Web 2.0, but that's a bit technical. That was the topic I investigated when I was a freshmen. You can investigate the philosophy of web 2.0 and its implications. It's much clear now then it was back late 90s, early 2000. I would focus on memes (user-generated content and all) if it has to involve some sort of "pop culture". A fantastic research topic.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2015-05-07 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    "Vinyl Records Reintroduced in the Modern Time"
    Isnt that a way to circumvent that hipster was taken alrdy?
    But it's getting close to an actual research topic.

Hipster is about as far as saying 'Imma do GMOs!'. Fuck yeah ok, what about them?

Denial of the holocaust is interesting, though how you're going to collect data for that is...curious. Is there boards for that kind of stuff? Not really a 'trend' though.

Also, what about steroid and youth? Research questions are important.

Oh interesting. Needs some refining. If you're a gym junkie then you shouldn't have much trouble with kind of topic.
    Last edited by RapBreon; 2015-05-07 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RapBreon View Post
    But it's getting close to an actual research topic.

Hipster is about as far as saying 'Imma do GMOs!'. Fuck yeah ok, what about them?

Denial of the holocaust is interesting, though how you're going to collect data for that is...curious. Is there boards for that kind of stuff?

Also, what about steroid and youth? Research questions are important.
    Why is the use of steroids increasing in the youth?
    Where are the youth getting these steroids?(Internet)
    If youths take steroids now, how is this going to impact the future?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I'm a little confused... it's May. Just about every single school is winding down in terms of the spring semester. Is this something for a summer class, or is this just obscenely late?

If you want to analyze a trend, the easiest way to do it is to do something related to economics, because there's always so much research into trends in that area. In other words, presenting that its a trend is really easy, giving you plenty of room for analysis. The number of graduates who live with their parents is increasing every year, independent of degree... that's a trend with numerous areas of discussion that can easily fill 8 pages with minimal effort.
    This is for a summer class. It is pretty fast. We started tuesday evening and were told to have a topic/prewrite by thursday evening. I was at work all day and was trying to think of something but couldn't

Deleted
    Bit hefty for 8 pages now that I think about it.

The Rising sales of illegal Subtances over the Internet could fill that easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    What are your sources that steroids are increasing in the youth? What is the context of the gathering of said information?

The questions presumes that it is increasing. If you can find literature to back that up then that's the easiest 8 pages you'll ever write. Interview a few dudes (if you can do quali) ez pz.

If you find it hard to pin down literature for the larger picture; you could potentially 'narrow it down'. Steroid use within youth culture in X (my) area. And track trends through your own data collection.

Where is a tough question. It doesn't really answer much on its own.

It'd be difficult to contribute to that kind of question. Unless you intend to do a secondary data analysis. Which is a good idea if you ceebs doing field work.

You only have 8 pages, so your questions need to form a narrow spread around an idea. Two are kind of separate projects in their own right.
    Last edited by RapBreon; 2015-05-07 at 08:54 AM. Reason: I'm grammatically impaired

Gamer Gate!

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by RapBreon View Post
    The questions presumes that it is increasing. If you can find literature to back that up then that's the easiest 8 pages you'll ever write. Interview a few dudes (if you can do quali) ez pz.

If you find it hard to pin down literature for the larger picture; you could potentially 'narrow it down'. Steroid use within youth in my area. And track trends through your own data collection.

Where is a tough question. It doesn't really answer much on it's own.

It'd be difficult to contribute to that kind of question. Unless you intend to do a secondary data analysis. Which is a good idea if you ceebs doing field work.

You only have 8 pages, so your questions need to form a narrow spread around an idea. Two are kind of separate projects in their own right.

Thank you for your insight

Hubcap, Gamer Gate and anything related to it just gives me a headache.