10+ Year Old Account

Nintendo rides to appear at Universal Studios

Nintendo, which has spent much of 2015 expanding beyond its traditional video game roots, has partnered with Universal Parks and Resorts to bring Mario, Donkey Kong and the rest of the company’s extensive collection of characters to the parks in the form of Nintendo-themed rides and character appearances.

While the companies declined to discuss specific details of the arrangement, many well-known Nintendo games lend themselves to theme park attractions. It doesn’t take too much imagination, for instance, to envision a ride based on Mario Kart or the space action series Star Fox.

This is a first of its kind deal for Nintendo, which previously has been extraordinarily protective of its IP. As the Wii U console has struggled against the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, though, the company has been aggressively exploring other ways to capitalize on its holdings. Two months ago, Nintendo announced a partnership with Japanese mobile giant DeNA to bring games featuring its characters to Android and iOS mobile devices.

Beyond the deal with Universal, Nintendo also hinted that it is open to producing video content based on its characters as well — an admission that comes less than two months after the company denied reports that a Netflix-produced live-action series based on “The Legend of Zelda” was in the works.

“For Nintendo IP, a more active approach will be taken in areas outside the video game business, including visual content production and character merchandising,” the company said as part of its just-released annual earnings statement.
    http://variety.com/2015/biz/news/nin...es-1201489766/

I want a Metroid ride where tourists get eaten by actual Metroids. Get on it, science!

Deleted
    Wouldn't Nintendo just be able to build it's own theme park without restricting themselves to Universal Studios?

Not to mention, the last time Nintendo and Universal teamed up we got this:

Universal can take old rides and 'remake' them into Nintendo licensed products faster than Nintendo building its own park somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Universal japan already has monster hunter stuff

Monster hunter is basically nintendoed as shit right now even though its capcom.

Redo the ex-back-to-the-future-currently-simpson's-ride and turn it into a pokemon snap adventure!
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by symphonic View Post
    redo the ex-back-to-the-future-currently-simpson's-ride and turn it into a pokemon snap adventure!
    oh....my god..... They must hire you and pay u millions

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I want a Metroid ride where tourists get eaten by actual Metroids. Get on it, science!
    If this ride features hot blondes dressed as Samus in the Zero Suit wandering around as attendants or to pose for photos with guests, I'm in.

The only Nintendo/Universal Studios collaboration that matters

"You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I'd love to see a Nintendo-only theme park. They have as many popular characters as Disney, and they are some of the only light-hearted ones that remain relevant in the gaming world.

This Universal deal makes me hope Nintendo will realize that there's a world outside of Japan, and media beyond videogames where their characters would fit (no, not THAT movie). But they've always been a very closed-minded company, and these rides will probably be few and small.

space action series Star Fox
    I would love this!

Quote Originally Posted by noidentity View Post
    I would love this!
    Disney has "Star Tours". Just do the same thing but with the Star Fox universe!

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Please, do you know what it took for the Chozo to create Metroids in the first place? It just isn't economically viable right now.

They could develop some sort of virtual reality Splatoon game, where you play as an inkling. I could see them using the Oculus Rift and treadmill things to make it happen.