Poll: Will you take the treatment?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Would you sacrifice your 'human' appearance in exhange for living a thousand years?

Lets say a new treatment had been devised that would increase your lifespan by a minimum of 1000% (you would live at least ten times longer). You would be immune to all disease and have perfect health for all of your life. The treatment is free and offered to everyone who wants it. With your longevity, you would help to create and live in a utopian society where all luxuries and necessities are provided free to all people, and scientific/technological progress is considered paramount. You would be able to pursue any lifestyle you choose.

However, the treatment has side effects - you would become hairless, shrink to 4 feet tall and become physically frail, your skin turns a sickly grey, your eyes become bulbous and black. You may find being outside unpleasant. But nobody will care about your appearance, you would not be considered ugly by other people or even yourself, and many others are also taking the treatment as well.

All of these effects, both positive and negative will be passed down to your children and all of your descendants. With enough time, the original human race may end up being completely replaced.

This is a hypothetical future world. The new breed of humans will advance their scientific and technological progress, and become much more intelligent. They will have the means to colonize other planets.

The side effects are irreversible. They are inexorably linked to the benefits, and it is utterly impossible to either separate them or to 'cure' them without loosing the increased health and lifespan.

Will you take the treatment?
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2015-05-08 at 12:29 PM.

So my eyes change. No big deal.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

No because I will just wait another few decades and we will be able to access life extension and eventually the escape velocity to indefinite lifespans, as one may call it while being allowed to remain aesthetically human. And eventually, an android or cyborg body that looks very "human".

I have no desire to live for a thousand years.

Can we add pointed ears and sharp teeth to the "side effects" of the treatment so that I can be 100% creepy elf creature? If so, yeah, why the hell not. I'd miss having a goatee but I already shave my head so no big deal there. As for the other stuff I don't see it being enough of a deal breaker to give up the chance at living for 1000 years in perfect health. Although I gotta say that "perfect health" should include not being all frail and shit. I mean you did say we could pursue any lifestyle we chose and if we're frail and hurt by the outdoors that takes away a lot of stuff... Meh, I'm rambling. Yes, I'd take the treatment.
    "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was sold on not taking it until you said no one would care what you looked like, then i thought about it for a moment. But then came to the conclusion that no, I wouldn't.

I don't do something with my life that living for a thousand years would benefit from. I.e scientific research. I imagine someone in that field would greatly benifit from licing that long. The opportunity to continue their lives work by 1000%. But for me I think I would pass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but only after being done making offspring (or just getting some sperm deposited so I can have children and grandchildren.) The amount of knowledge and lore I wish to know will never be completed in a lifetime. At the cost of the burdens I would bear (seeing loved ones die off over and over), I would accept the task.
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

10+ Year Old Account
    Voted yes, but only if I remain healthy and as vibrant as I am now. With the looks to boot.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    As it stands right now, no. If in this society this wouldn't be considered unattractive and many other's are doing it then it would be considered the norm. So possibly in that world I would? I don't know lol

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean we'd become a race of Gollum's ?

Nope. Freaking greys are the scariest thing I can think of so no way in Hell would I turn myself into one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know how we could build a utopia is we all looked like Gollum.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe when I get a lot older and wouldn't be bothered by that description. Uncomfortable going outside...that sounds like it would suck. I want to ride my bike around! I want to hop fences to get to the store quicker!

Becoming part of the foundation for future centuries sounds cool though.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

This is a hypothetical future world where the problems of modern society are already resolved. And you would not be taking the treatment alone, it would be available to everyone.

And by "frail" I don't mean sick, just weaker and more 'delicate' then a normal human.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2015-05-08 at 02:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck. That. Appearance change or not, I don't want to live a thousand years
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Don't know how we could build a utopia is we all looked like Gollum.
    A thousand years with the precious!
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I would.

I'd take it. Buuuuut, if possible I'd wait with it till I was 80 years old .

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    you would become hairless, shrink to 4 feet tall and become physically frail, your skin turns a sickly grey, your eyes become bulbous and black. You may find being outside unpleasant.
    Would I have to suck the blood of the living? I would do it if so.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland