Poll: Do they deserve their wages?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Feel free to edit the poll mods, brain fart on my end.

Quote Originally Posted by aiko-chan View Post
    I think all professional athletes are overpaid.

The problem is this money is made in the field so it either goes to the players or it goes to the guys in the suits.
    Most professional athletes, aside from the best, are being paid MUCH LESS than a shitty mediocre footballer is, which is terrible. Where I live, in Brazil, football influences pretty much everything. The thing is so out of control that some dumbasses actually KILL other people due to issues related to football teams, like if a dude X's team lost to team Y, if he sees someone with a shirt from team Y, he kills him just for vengeance.

We preach to children: sport, sport, sport, fair competition. Sport has been used as an alternative focus to war and militarisation. It's seen as the cleanest competition between people.

As soon as we reach adulthood we learn that its "not fair to be recognised and rewarded for being incredibly good at sport". Its ludicrous. It wouldn't be farfetched to say that some sports such as football have become the new religion to many people. They are devoted to it. They live by it, and they spend a lot of money within it. They support it. They pay for tickets. Stadia is filled across the globe. It attracts billions upon billions of pounds of investment from sponsorships to advertising agreements.

As others have already stated before me: It is probably as close to fair pay as you're going to see in terms of owners/investors/players.

Agents on the other hand; now there you might have an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardourdan View Post
    Agents on the other hand; now there you might have an argument.
    Yeah, though that is kind of inevitable with the system we have.

If you let a professional negotiator negotiate their own fee don't be surprised if they do well for themselves. Plus from a player's perspective a decent agent can be worth millions of dollars by getting them better contracts and sponsorships. If that money wasn't being spent by clubs on agent fees then I doubt it would be going into the hands of players.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2015-05-08 at 08:30 PM.