Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Happy Victory day

Happy Victory day to all my fellow ex-Soviet comrades

Deleted
    Happy victory day may they all stay ex soviets.

I have to admit, the Russian parades was satisfying to watch, but also quite odd. A lot of it seemed very well executed and extremely professional, while other parts seemed extremely sloppy...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Happy victory day may they all stay ex soviets.
    While this is true this Thread is more in honor of all Soviet soldiers which fought in the war (like my grandfather)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I have to admit, the Russian parades were both satisfying to watch, but also quite odd. A lot of it seemed very well executed and extremely professional, while other parts seemed extremely sloppy...
    I personally found it too much...
    It wasnt really like a parade for victory or the end of a war but more like a big circus.

Deleted
    I hope they will remember the cruelity, ethnic cleansings and mass murders of stalin too and will dedicate their influence to make it never happen again.

Victory Day meant for many just switching one monster for the next so dont forget.

Deleted
    I hope they will remember the cruelity, ethnic cleansings and mass murders of stalin too and will dedicate their influence to make it never happen again.

Victory Day meant for many just switching one monster for the next so dont forget.
    While i hate Stalin this parade is for all ethnicies of the Soviet Union who won through unity against a much better tactical and advanced enemy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurnor View Post
    While i hate Stalin this parade is for all ethnicies of the Soviet Union who won through unity against a much better tactical and advanced enemy.
    You cant ignore who won and celebrate regardless be free to do it but it certainly taints the whole day.

While I can't condone Stalin's way of governing or the Soviet "experiment" (pace Putin), the soul and resolve and tenacity of the Russian people to thwart Hitler on the Eastern front cannot be overstated or overpraised. Happy Victory Day indeed for from an ugly American

- - - Updated - - -

Hear, hear, I should have been more inclusive than just the Russians.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    While I can't condone Stalin's way of governing or the Soviet "experiment" (pace Putin), the soul and resolve and tenacity of the Russian people to thwart Hitler on the Eastern front cannot be overstated or overpraised. Happy Victory Day indeed for from an ugly American

- - - Updated - - -

Hear, hear, I should have been more inclusive than just the Russians.
    Victory day is celebrated in every country who split from the USSR from Ukraine to Turkmenistan.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Happy Victory day to all my fellow ex-Soviet comrades
    I'm not sure if happy is the appropriate response. I'd rather not feel joy when I think of 26 million dead.
    Mind you, it was the SOviet Union that lost them and it no longer exists, so it's more appropriate to think of the individual countries. Some page that kept a tally of all the lost pointed out that a majority of the civilian losses for Soviet Russia were in the Ukraine.

- - - Updated - - -

"Unity", heh... Forced inclusion. They fought because they were dead if they didn't, so it was better to fight the nazis than die for not doing so. They were frown against an enemy vastly superior and died in droves, badly geared and barely trained.
    It's tragic more than anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I'm not sure if happy is the appropriate response. I'd rather not feel joy when I think of 26 million dead.
    Mind you, it was the SOviet Union that lost them and it no longer exists, so it's more appropriate to think of the individual countries. Some page that kept a tally of all the lost pointed out that a majority of the civilian losses for Soviet Russia were in the Ukraine.
    Its more like we celebrate because the reason of the 26 million deaths was defeated.

Deleted
    Its more like we celebrate because the reason of the 26 million deaths was defeated.
    Militarism and nationalism?

To honor their sacrifize you engage in one of the biggest displays of nationalism and militarism ever while threating the souvereignity of the country where most people who died came from.

I don't think we do WWII holiday in the US. We have Memorial Day were we remember our dead, originally it was for Civil War dead but now it's for all. Then we have Veteran's Day were we appreciate our men and women in service. Then we have the 4th of July commemorating our overthrow of the tyrant.

That's the only military holidays I can think of. And the 4th is more about Nation's Day than war really.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    A bit of both but not all

10+ Year Old Account
    Happy Victory Day from Russia. Remember: we will never be slaves, but we will be conquerors (if only of a small peninsula that we used to own anyway).
    The shadowy Daughter of Urthona stood before red Orc,
    When fourteen suns had faintly journey'd o'er his dark abode:
    His food she brought in iron baskets, his drink in cups of iron:
    Crown'd with a helmet and dark hair the nameless female stood;

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheImperios View Post
    Happy Victory Day from Russia. Remember: we will never be slaves, but we will be conquerors (if only of a small peninsula that we used to own anyway).
    Yeah happy imperialism day.

Absolutely corrupted and tainted that day thanks for confirming it.

10+ Year Old Account

To honor their sacrifize you engage in one of the biggest displays of nationalism and militarism ever while threating the souvereignity of the country where most people who died came from.
    Oh, so you are one of those who thinks that Ukrainian Front was actually formed in Ukraine? History's got a hella surprise for you pal.

On topic: this day is meant to honor the living and fallen WW2 veterans. Don't try to make it look like something it isn't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkis View Post
    On topic: this day is meant to honor the living and fallen WW2 veterans. Don't try to make it look like something it isn't.
    Then russia and russians should try harder.

Deleted
    Well, today my country actually celebrates 3 things:
    1. Victory day - this is a good and bad, on one hand it's good the nazis didn't win the war but for my country 45 years of communism followed.
    2. Europe day - this is somewhat tied to victory day but has grown to be a day of the EU, so happy birthday EU.
    3. Independence day - on 9th May 1877 Romania proclamed its independence from the Ottoman Empire in the war of independence.

Deleted
    Happy Forced Occupation for 50 Years Day!
    It's always nice to celebrate the defeat of an evil force by an eviler one.