Poll: ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unclear and deceptive OP, but I'll bite anyway.

Two answers: 1) You shouldn't do anything unethical or illegal. If your employer asks you to do so, make non-committal affirmative noises, cya, and start looking for a new job while talking to a lawyer about what you ought to do. 2) Taking a job that requires legally providing X service or doing Y task, and then claiming "but I don't believe in X or Y" is the act of an ass and a fool.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Did you agree to that aspect of the job when entering? Then yes you should do it.

Was it not agreed to in the beginning and goes against what you believe to be right? Then no you shouldn't do it.

Is this you?

then yes you should do it

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if I was working at Mcdonalds and someone asked me to go do an abortion in the back room, I would probably say no. But since that would NEVER FUCKING HAPPEN, I don't guess I have to worry about it.

Now, if I worked at Planned Parenthood, and I was asked to do an abortion, then I would figure that that is what I signed up for, and go do it.

So if I was working at PP and didn't want to be involved with that, then why the hell did I apply for a job at PP to begin with.

/thread

10+ Year Old Account
    ...don't work in an abortion clinic if you are anti-abortion.

Deleted
    I wouldn´t have applied/taken the job in the first place..

If I need to feed my family you can bet i´ll be the chief switch puller at a kitty incinerator if I have to.. That´s part of being an adult with responsibilities, sometimes you have to do stuff you don´t really want to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Unclear and deceptive OP
    Not really

You do exactly everything that falls into the job description of the job you're hired for.
    Any exceptions are subject to evaluation whether you want to do them or not.
    Depending on the country where such scenario takes place, it's even more or less meticulously worded out like that in the labor laws.

But if a task falls into your job description you have to do it, whether you like it or not.
    Alternative is to quit the job.
    So the valid answer is "depends on what it is".
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Karadros View Post
    As an unemployed, the Jobcentre sent me to do what was basically the community service a convicted felon would be assigned to. It involved signing a waiver that we'd be okay to pick up used discarded syringes.
    I was not okay with that, so my benefits will probably be revoked on Friday.

So... no. But your initial premise is silly.

Lol sorry I couldn't help but laugh after reading your post and looking at your avatar. Nothing more hilarious than an unemployed and disgruntled Tauren.

If its illegal, you are not required to do it. Especially if its against OSHA. That being said, I wish I could get away with more shit. I worked at home depot for 9 months and there would be a few things on a higher shelf that you needed a ladder for. The different departments had their own ladders and you had to be cool with the neighboring department if you wanted to use theirs. Sometimes I would just climb the shelving to get what I wanted but you had to make sure no one was watching. When I did landscaping, most things we did were unsafe because we were a privately owned business.

If you don't feel comfortable doing something because its unsafe, or its against your morals or whatever, than don't do it. Youre the one who has to live with the consequences. Take control of your life and do what you want.

Deleted
    Every job I've ever had has included a final point on the job description: "Any other tasks as reasonably requested by your manager" (or something along those lines). So sometimes you end up doing things that may not directly fall within your purview which you didn't like but you either didn't dare question your manager or they convinced you that your view of "reasonable" was wrong. As a manager myself currently, I don't ask anyone to do anything I'd not be prepared to do myself or haven't at one time found myself doing.

In the example someone gave of picking up syringes, if you've been given proper H&S training and PPE and the job itself is of a janitorial nature, I don't think you can legally refuse. If any of the 3 points there aren't correct, especially if you've highlighted that they aren't, you can fight their decision (granted if they provide training & PPE and you still don't I don't think you have a leg to stand on (although I know I wouldn't be comfortable picking used syringes under any circumstances so no judgment)).

Deleted
    You do what your contact says you do. If you don't like your contract, maybe you shouldn't have signed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vea Lea View Post
    when you work should you do work you dont feel ok doing? like abortion if you dont agree with abortion should you have to when you are not ok doing it? maybe handling things you are not ok?
    Then why would you apply there? Do what's required and paid for or quit. It's not volunteering.

Yes you should. It's your job, and it's your employers job to decide what it includes, not yours. If you don't like it, get another job. I'm going to be working in a profession where I most likely will have to do abortions. No one likes that, not even the most fanatic pro-choice people (I'm definitely pro-choice btw), and i don't want to end up being "the abortionist" at my work place because others don't want to do that. I don't like it, I don't enjoy it but I will do it because I believe in the womens rights written in the law, and so should those who choose a workplace like that. In this field, there is plenty of work to choose from, so choose a place you can stomach and don't start cherry-picking at the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    You do your job, if you don't want to do it; quit.

If you're a doctor, you follow the law and does what the patient needs.
    This is an interesting one from so many angles. What the patient needs, what the patient wants, and what the law will allow are sometimes very different things.

I'm sure OP, one day you'll learn that work is often a balancing act of doing the parts you want to do and enjoy, and getting the less fun stuff passed on to someone else. The three main ways are "I'm too busy", or doing a job well enough that it passes, but not so well that they ask you to do it again; or just being hopelessly inefficient at it. Of course, to get away with this as best you can, you do need to be *very* good at the stuff you enjoy.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2015-05-12 at 03:50 PM.