Lightbulb How to Diagnose Slowdown On A New Build?

Hello!

About a month ago I asked around here for pieces to create a new PC for streaming/video editing. I decided to try and poach some pieces from my old computer in order to save a little bit of money. Upon building my computer however I noticed that in many cases it actually runs slower then my last computer.

As an example, I tried to run World of Warcraft at max settings and my FPS dropped to the mid 10's. My 6 year old computer would be able to handle it just as well if not a bit better. I also ran into a situation where i was watching a YouTube video and also browsing another page when my CPU and Memory usage jumped to about 50% each. It only lasted a minute or two, but it lagged everything right down.

I suspect a couple things could be behind it:
    - I poached the RAM from my old computers (6x 2gb "GDDR3-1333"), but my new motherboard could only house 4 sticks. So I lost 4gb's of RAM.
    - Incorrectly installing the hardware. This was my first time building and I worry I might've installed something wrongly. Although it all appears to work fine until I put it to the test.
    - I also poached my old harddrive, I believe it is a 1TB Western Digital Black from about 3 years ago.

Here's my specs:
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card
    Memory: 4 x 2GB GDDR3-1333
    Case: Corsair 200R
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Thanks for your help!

Deleted
    What are the temperatures of your CPU? Sounds like it is throttling.
    Download realtemp to check that.

Secondly, you did do a fresh install of your windows? Otherwise do that first!

I had been debating reinstalling windows, but didn't out of laziness. I shall do it now and give back the results!

Deleted
    Well, you changed the motherboard and during the windows install, windows installs/downloads drivers specific for that motherboard. So you always have to do a fresh install when you change the motherboard.

Reinstalling Windows is recommended but not required with 7 or 8, it can usually handle motherboard change just fine.

Sounds indeed more like CPU temperature problem than anything else.

what GPU did you have in the old system? If you bought that 750ti with your new build that is likely the reason why. The 750ti is just barely a gaming GPU, so if you bought that with this rig, that is what is holding you back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    what GPU did you have in the old system? If you bought that 750ti with your new build that is likely the reason why. The 750ti is just barely a gaming GPU, so if you bought that with this rig, that is what is holding you back.
    Wouldn't cause the youtube problems though.

The CPU is definatly a problem, could nearly boil water (95c!)

I know that i messed up the installation and will fix it as soon as I'm home again!

Thanks again for the help! Always appreciated

As for my last GPU, it was a GTX 285. I realize the 750 Ti is far from a powerhouse, but its got to be better than that! :P

Deleted
    You messed up with the cooler yeah.

You will have to remove it, remove the cooling paste and apply new cooling paste.

Quote Originally Posted by Xylitol View Post
    The CPU is definatly a problem, could nearly boil water (95c!)

I know that i messed up the installation and will fix it as soon as I'm home again!

Thanks again for the help! Always appreciated

As for my last GPU, it was a GTX 285. I realize the 750 Ti is far from a powerhouse, but its got to be better than that! :P
    Not to be derogatory to you, but try not to slap shit together like that. Read the directions. What cooler were you using, stock?

You really shouldn't ideally use the stock cooler on at 4790k even at stock clocks. Especially if you've been burning it up for 2 days and not stress/temp checking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    You really shouldn't ideally use the stock cooler on at 4790k even at stock clocks.
    Why?

There's nothing wrong with Intel stock coolers on performance or noise side. It just has poor (plastic) attachment system that is easy to botch (like OP probably did). If you follow instructions to the letter it works ok, but just slapping it in might leave one or two corners not properly locked down.

Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    Why?

There's nothing wrong with Intel stock coolers on performance or noise side. It just has poor (plastic) attachment system that is easy to botch (like OP probably did). If you follow instructions to the letter it works ok, but just slapping it in might leave one or two corners not properly locked down.
    He did say ideally. Ideally, we should all have flawless custom loops. Reality =/= Ideally

He did say ideally. Ideally, we should all have flawless custom loops. Reality =/= Ideally
    Only if you enjoy tinkering or showing off.

Practically all self-builders will benefit more from decent air cooler. Easier to build, zero maintenance, less eWaste and much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    You messed up with the cooler yeah.

You will have to remove it, remove the cooling paste and apply new cooling paste.
    Bolded part is important OP dont forget to do that! If not sure how google it lots of youtube video guides on how to.

Practically all self-builders will benefit more from decent air cooler. Easier to build, zero maintenance, less eWaste and much cheaper.
    Trying to be sensible on the internet !? Its madness I tell you madness
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

In my defence the wordless, diagram instructions weren't all that clear :P

One problem is the heat sink came with the paste already attached. Is that something i can grab from any computer shop? And if so is there any particular brand that'd be best to get?

And once again i just need to reiterate how thankful i am for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Xylitol View Post
    In my defence the wordless, diagram instructions weren't all that clear :P

One problem is the heat sink came with the paste already attached. Is that something i can grab from any computer shop? And if so is there any particular brand that'd be best to get?

And once again i just need to reiterate how thankful i am for all the help!
    Yes, you should be able to pick some up at pretty much any computer shop. I am a big fan of the Coolaboratory Liquid Pro, but it's a liquid metal and a little harder to apply than your regular pastes. It can be up to 5 degrees cooler though. If you don't want to deal with liquid metal though, or they don't carry it(I had to order mine online) Arctic Silver 5 is a really good and common paste most shops should have. If they don't have that either, whatever they have will do.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, in an ideal world, the waste and the cost would not matter.

Deleted
    Yes, you should be able to pick some up at pretty much any computer shop. I am a big fan of the Coolaboratory Liquid Pro, but it's a liquid metal and a little harder to apply than your regular pastes. It can be up to 5 degrees cooler though. If you don't want to deal with liquid metal though, or they don't carry it(I had to order mine online) Arctic Silver 5 is a really good and common paste most shops should have. If they don't have that either, whatever they have will do.
    To add to that. There are different methods of applying the paste. I use the "pea" method. Just a small blob, about the size of a pea, on the middle of the cpu and then just apply the cooler. The cooler will then spread the paste. I never had any issues using this method. But just like someone else said, look at some videos

Only had a few minutes to test before work, but everything seemed perfect! Resting temp was a balmy 38C. Playing WoW at max resulted in 60fps and only an extra 10 or so degrees gain.

Thanks again! Ill hollar if i need anything else