Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Kinda reminds me of this

-President Eisenhower
    It also reminds me of Smedley Butler's quote,
    "War is a racket. It always has been. It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives. A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of the people. Only a small 'inside' group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few, at the expense of the very many. Out of war a few people make huge fortunes."
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    'progress' is not achieved because somehow war is a boon to creativity or invention, it is because you have a temporary removal of the economic forces that usually block progress out of their own greedy interests.
    I was more going for the threat of destruction and fear are the most potent motivators of humanity.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    And the church don't want the world to become atheistic, because that will lose them money and power. Sorry, it is a good message that he delivers, but it sort of loses its hard hitting criticism, when it is coming from the church.

Though, still a swell guy and a good message.
    And you don´t see a difference there? Good for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    I was more going for the threat of destruction and fear are the most potent motivators of humanity.
    Yeah, he´s right though and you´re not. Or are you seeing much inventions coming out of sierra leoné or afghanistan?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

So yeah lets say i have alot of stocks in a company that makes millitary supplies... Millitary vehicles... Entreprenour company that might be rebuilding w/e war has struck, lets say im on the Board of red cross... And i need to hire a company to rebuild, lets say Tahiti after the earthquake...
    I think imma hire my own entreprenour company, or my friends who cares...
    Finally lets say i also own a bank, or banks, or atleast know some or have stocks in them...
    So lets borrow a nation money so they can buy arms, foods and equipment from our companies...
    Its a pyramid scheme in its most basic form... KINDA HAVE BEEN LIKE THAT FOR LIKE 200 years...

Naturally after free market it became way way way worse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    And you don´t see a difference there? Good for you.
    Between warmongers and the church?

15+ Year Old Account
    Between warmongers and the church?
    Yes. And just for the fun of it, let´s stay in the current century.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    There's people making assloads of money from disarmament, green tech, conservation and veganism, too. What, exactly, is the point here?
    Are they equivalent to around 1.2 trillion dollars that is being spent this year in armaments by the top 15 spenders in the world? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_expenditures )

Someone might wanna remind the pope that somewhere in the bible there is a line with something something first stone. He should look it up

Deleted
    Yes. And just for the fun of it, let´s stay in the current century.
    Oh I absolutely do see a difference, a major one at that. But the church certainly isn't perfect, which to some extend will have some devaluation to its messages, if it itself falls under them to some degree.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh I absolutely do see a difference, a major one at that. But the church certainly isn't perfect, which to some extend will have some devaluation to its messages, if it itself falls them under to some degree.
    Nothing is perfect, doesn´t make his saying invalid. He also didn´t compare it to the church and told everyone "take us as an example" ...

Deleted
    Nothing is perfect, doesn´t make his saying invalid. He also didn´t compare it to the church and told everyone "take us as an example" ...
    Did I say it made it an invalid messages? No, I said it devalued it somewhat, surely that should be a fair notion.

Nothing is perfect, doesn't make his saying invalid. He also didn't compare it to the church and told everyone "take us as an example" ...
    The Church ALWAYS says follow our example... If you don't you commit a sin.
    One might also wonder the pope his motivation to say those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Are they equivalent to around 1.2 trillion dollars that is being spent this year in armaments by the top 15 spenders in the world? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_expenditures )
    You've missed the thrust of my statement entirely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I think this pope is actually trying to get assassinated.
    But then he will be a saint

Deleted
    The Pope is powerfull himself so I take his word for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, he´s right though and you´re not. Or are you seeing much inventions coming out of sierra leoné or afghanistan?
    I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say that Sierra Leone or Afghanistan don't have an established R&D infrastructure.
    "I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." ~Kurt Vonnegut.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I think this pope is actually trying to get assassinated.
    These won't really get him assassinated, cause... well even if people don't want to talk about these, they all know that

15+ Year Old Account
    Francis is awesome - he's like the High Sparrow of Earth. It's strange to think (while I am an atheist) that if I were to choose an Abrahamic religion (to rule out the cool ones with lightning gods and such) I would likely choose Catholicism: sold in no small part by my respect for Pope Francis.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Francis is awesome - he's like the High Sparrow of Earth. It's strange to think (while I am an atheist) that if I were to choose an Abrahamic religion (to rule out the cool ones with lightning gods and such) I would likely choose Catholicism: sold in no small part by my respect for Pope Francis.
    You mean the violent prosecution of homosexuals?

The people that aren't asleep already know this. What's new?