Poll: Is it wrong to pirate?

Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sephrael View Post
    I guess the Summer Reddit phenomenon and its inevitable overflow onto MMO-C is starting early this year.
    It isn't just me, there is something wrong with him! This is why he needs our support, to channel that negative attitude and turn it into a positive one that you can have a normal conversation with!

@TheUnum For what it is worth, pirating is wrong but do what you have/want to do. Don't let anyone on here sway your decisions, your life so live it how you want. If there are consequences to your actions then expect to possibly pay them obviously ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Money isn't everything until you need it to buy something you want to do such as experience life in a virtual world inside a videogame...
    There is some sort of absurd joke in there somewhere.
    Isn't money almost everything in a developed country? Money buys you a place to live, buys you food and water. When you are a bum people may give you change (money) or buy you some food which requires.......money.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Its always funny watching a child tried to justify these things. How cute.
    Why do you look down on people and call them children? You aren't dumb, you know your posts haven't been even close to friendly or even neutral. Just downright negative
    Last edited by Forgottenone; 2015-05-12 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Anarchist View Post
    Most people that are against pirating tend to stop objecting once you teach them how to do it themselves.
    Its always funny watching a child tried to justify these things. How cute.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Forgottenone View Post
    It isn't just me, there is something wrong with him! This is why he needs our support, to channel that negative attitude and turn it into a positive one that you can have a normal conversation with!.
    I can't help your hobo parasite girlfriend, but you can. Sounds like she couldn't handle fast food or retail, help her better herself than becoming a thief.

It isn't just me, there is something wrong with him! This is why he needs our support, to channel that negative attitude and turn it into a positive one that you can have a normal conversation with!

@TheUnum For what it is worth, pirating is wrong but do what you have/want to do. Don't let anyone on here sway your decisions, your life so live it how you want. If there are consequences to your actions then expect to possibly pay them obviously ^_^
    Yah I get it. I think i learned that this is really a mixed bag for people. Some are okay with it others are not. I am not a theif, but then I realized how piracy could be considered thievery. I love gaming, and going without games for months until I get my finances right would suck. I really believe companys make games drm free so that people who are less fortunate can also enjoy the games. Thanks for discussing this with me man I learned alot about how people feel with piracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cute Anarchist View Post
    Most people that are against pirating tend to stop objecting once you teach them how to do it themselves.
    I have a Masters in IT, I can easily setup a VPN and download shit all day. Its not complicated.

That doesn't mean I cant see how much of an entitled jackass I would be for stealing someone elses work because I was too cheap to pay for it at release cost, or wait 6 months to get it at $10 on Steam sale.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    I'll pirate when there's no chance of me buying stuff. I don't give a fuck. Especially when games companies consistently argue that they sell a licence to play the game, and you don't technically own any game you buy.

Copyright law isn't designed for the modern age.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I can't help your hobo parasite girlfriend, but you can.
    Surprisingly she isn't a hobo nor a parasite :O But continue being judgmental and rude, I learned a long time ago that when dealing with angry/insecure online people to just be friendly. They either go away or eventually change enough that you can have a conversation with them!

I do it once in a while, even if it's wrong. But I usually pirate the game then buy it afterwards if I like it.
    Most games come with a cd-key now days, to be able to play online. So if you want to play it "for real", you'll most likely have to buy it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnum View Post
    Yah I get it. I think i learned that this is really a mixed bag for people. Some are okay with it others are not. I am not a theif, but then I realized how piracy could be considered thievery. I love gaming, and going without games for months until I get my finances right would suck. I really believe companys make games drm free so that people who are less fortunate can also enjoy the games. Thanks for discussing this with me man I learned alot about how people feel with piracy.
    Yes, you are.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do alittle of both depending on the medium of enteriment.
    I bought every game I ever played(or was given as a gift)
    60% of the music on my playlists was bought from itunes or came from cds that I own.
    comics/manga, If its available in stores near me I'll buy them or order them online.
    movies/tv shows, Its mainly about 40/60% bought depending on the series.
    I'll be perfectly honest, pirating entertainment is probably least evil thing you can do in this life.

I pirate games I have bought at some point unashamedly.

I occasionally pirate a game to see if it's any good; but normally they are 10+ years old anyway, which one might argue diminishes the 'wrong'. For example I never played Descent 3, bought the first 2 waaay back when. So a while back I torrented it to give it a whirl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

So how come when Metallica helped shut down Napster you all hated Metallica but now you agree with them? Did you wise up, or were you just one of the few people who crusaded against piracy in the early days of broadband.

I think this is about the 2nd or maybe 3rd time I've ever seen "Masters in IT"...as in like, a Masters Degree in Information Technology? Aside from some various online universities, I've never heard of such a thing...since "IT" is pretty broad. It's like having a "Masters in Doctor of Everything."
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    So how come when Metallica helped shut down Napster you all hated Metallica but now you agree with them? Did you wise up, or were you just one of the few people who crusaded against piracy in the early days of broadband.
    "It's not wrong when I do it"

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it's wrong. I say that as someone who pirate everything I can.

Nope, it's not just you, just another person being an asshole on these forums that mods refuse to moderate effectively.

No it does not make it ok even if you plan to buy a companys stuff somtime in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Yes, it's wrong. I say that as someone who pirate everything I can.
    Jesus finally, someone who will just come out and say it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sephrael View Post
    Nope, it's not just you, just another person being an asshole on these forums that mods refuse to moderate effectively.
    I spend 3 weeks of the month banned. I am sure they would disagree.

I'm sure I'll receive another infraction for calling out dude's hobo girlfriend for being the hobo she is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnum View Post
    I used to buy games, but that was when my parents were footing the bills, and now that I am on my own my dad stopped helping me out. So I am out of luck on that front. I am currently looking for a good job, but atm I am working at a restaurant to pay the bills. I have roomates and all, but still I hate to pay for rent. Life is hard sometimes man. Trying to pay off this debt sucks because of the fucking interest.
    I know where you're coming from. I trained as a commercial diver. For my training I had to move to Scotland and rent a place plus pay for the courses and then again in Florida. By the time I was fully trained I was 22 and owed 120k euro to the bank, I could have bought a nice house for that here. Repayments were over 600 euro a month and it took years to pay off. I got a good job and finally got rid of it by saving up and paying off a lump sum.

Great, debt free! yay! not a chance. I borrowed more money and opened my own business because it made more sense for me at the time. Worked hard and paid it off.
    Now I borrowed more money, I bought a house. I have a kid too. Oh there's also car payments as my wife needed a car to get to work. I had to do some more training to get new qualifications as things are updated, safety etc. I had to buy a van for work, new equipment, insurance that won't even cover me as I'm the boss (it only covers employees which I don't have but I can't work without it), home insurance, phone, electricity, sky tv package, taxes etc etc. The list goes on.

Unless you happen to be really lucky you are never going to be debt free, maybe when you retire you might have it all paid off. Don't try to justify pirating games or tv shows because you have no money or you owe money to someone, you can get the money for games if you really want to.
    Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.

Ofc you are wrong.. wow o_o

Piracy is generally fine with people who either have no income themselves, or don't have an income reliant on anything that can be pirated.