Stood in the Fire Larsadius Rex's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

If I come back, I want to be a real PvPer.

I unsubbed from this game in april during a rough time in my life that warcraft was preventing me from fixing. Now I feel like I'm back on my two feet and ready to resub. The caveat is, if I come back, I want to be a real pvp-er. Gone will be the days on relying for raids and schedules and playing a fixed rotation for hours on end until the lewt drops, and hello to the days of just queue-ing up to a bg or an arena match and smashing face (or getting my face smashed).

Problem is, I really don't know how to achieve that.

I have a 100 warrior who's fury, but I'm going to return to Arms (arms was boring in pve, but that might be different in pvp). I have some 630 pvp gear and capped honor sitting in his bag along with 20k gold.

My question is: how to I begin my journey as a pvp-er rather than a pve-er? Find a guild? Watch videos of skilled pvp streamers? Read up on guides? Grind basic BGs until I get the gist? Teach me your secrets oh wise ones.
    -----------------------------------------------
    “It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end… because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing… this shadow. Even darkness must pass.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Just check some guides and practice in BGs, Skirmishes and Duels. You simply need to get more experienced in it, there is no real guide for it, just a few "hints" to follow as PvP is very situational.

However, in my opinion the most important thing in PvP is to know your opponents. Therefore I advice you to play different classes to get to know their weaknesses and strengths. You may perceive one ability to be incredibly strong, but when you look at it from the perspective of class having that ability you might see it in a very different light.

With more experience and knowledge you will recognize the patterns faster and be more ready to counter them.

...find friend...easiest way is a guild...as warrior GET A HEALER! Can't stress that enough...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    as warrior GET A HEALER! Can't stress that enough...
    Yeah, it's basically your first priority to get yourself a healer as Warrior.

If you don't have one, you're going to have a bad time.

I would advise you to find someone and spend a few hours spamming 2s to your CP cap so you get some decent gear. Gear is extremely important when it comes to PvP in WoW, so save yourself the frustration and get gear before you do anything else.

Then of course you have to find some people you want to play with if you are interested in arenas. But first get gear!

Anyone else not feel like pvping anymore this season since conquest gear is gonna be worthless? Im capped on 3 characters but im not bothering anymore with the others. It feels pointless since all gear is gonna be 690 minimum in pvp next season.

Assuming you are talking about arenas, fury is viable if you play a comp that doesn't spread damage and you are not the main target.

If you are full honor, find someone to do 2s for the cap (it will be a long road), otherwise go play bgs to get to full honor.
    Other than that, play a lot. You will need to learn how classes play before you get good in the game. Watching streamers and videos is important to learn some tricks (such as use mass spell reflect to reflect traps, using intervene to redirect the sap to you and so on).

Deleted
    I've once been in a similar situation, maybe you can benefit from what I have learned.

First off, I hope you know all of your skills. Every single ability has it's use. Find out what it is. Now, this isn't much of an issue since they reduced our toolkits to the bare necessities... I wanted to mention it anyway.

Step two, keybind that shit. You've probably already done that. Still, just to make sure...

Three, know the toolkit of the other classes. Learn about their defensive as well as offensive options. Nothing they do should leave you suprised. You may achieve this by playing them yourself, dueling those who know how to play them or simply reading up on all their abilities on wowhead (or any other side that provides a talent planer). Don't be shy, ask expirienced PvPers to duel you and help you with strategies. That's where you learn the most.

Four, know the meta. Which specs are considered strong or weak? Same goes for comps, if you want to do arena. Read the discussions on Pvp-forums... And play, a lot.

Five, get in contact with other Pvpers. Join a PvP guild. Search out people willing to do arena with you, a noob (pardon!) who seeks to improve himself. Being surrounded by likeminded players will do wonders for your evolution as a Pvper. You'll stay motivated more easily and it's more fun to play with friends.

Once you have taken these few steps you will be, without doubt, a Pvper. And a good one, too.

(Six. Stay humble. Don't forget where you came from and never even think that you have stopped learning. Although that is much more of a personal advice. )

Perhaps this may help. If you are new to PvP, I would befriend someone on your server, or friends list who might have some experience in PvP.. Guides / Videos are also a great resource and can be quite useful. Reading patch notes, and be knowledgeable about what other classes are capable of doing.. and how YOU can react to these situations.

Learning when to use not only your offensive abilities but your defensive abilities is crucial in PvP. It doesn't matter how much damage and burst you can do if you die in 3 seconds.

Be a smart player, and know when to engage, and when to defend, using your surroundings, such as terrain, pillars, hills, buffs that spawn in BG's, and LoS is also a great advantage.

If you are really new, and need to get familiar, I would recommend solo queuing into some random BG's and kinda get the feel for what you as a character are capable of. Doing this a lot will land you some pretty good friends, and enemies alike.

There are always players in trade chat who will "carry" you in 2's usually for a fee, to get a baseline rating usually up to like 2200 or so. So, if you have the money and the time.. why not!

Also, as a warrior you will need much more conquest and honor points to be able to "fully gear up", as you will need a shield, a 1h, and possibly 2h's with variations of enchants based on how you as a player like to play.

I would also suggest binding your gear sets to your hotbar, and assign them a key, for easy swapping.

Some useful addons I find to be useful
    Battleground Targets - see enemy battleground comps
    Gladius - arena mod
    Tidy plates - health bars above players, can see what effects are on them

Also, hang out where people duel a lot, this will greatly help you (ex outside of Org / Garrison / Goldshire)

Hope that helps, as a PvP'er you will always be learning new techniques and situational based gameplay. So good luck!

Deleted
    Just start with someone that has the same skillevel as you and the same drive to become better.

Everything else comes with practice. You won't be Glad in just one season tho. Always keep that in mind.

Fury is actually viable. If you enjoy fury, you can stay fury. Arms is good for WLS and TSG, but fury is quite good in KFC and WMD.

And the best thing you can do is find a friend. Doesn't have to be a healer. Queue bg's with them, queue arenas with them, etc. Practice, and make sure you learn to keybind. If you aren't keybinding yet, it is going to be really hard to make the change, but you will get used to it--trust me. Do whatever it takes--I personally learned to keybind when I played on a private server for a bit (it was a bit easier to learn it on a *fresh* character), and then it naturally translated over to retail. Once you've finished that step, learn about what classes do and things to watch for. Watching some streams might help (since you're a warr, you can watch Smexxin, Bajheera, Cdew (when he plays his warr), and gcd). It might be rough since they'll use a lot of acronyms and terms you might not be familiar with, but it is still watchable. But make sure you take your time! If you rush into ranked arena when you aren't fully accustomed to the game, you'll end up hitting a wall and you'll feel dissatisfied. That is the worst feeling. Enjoy unranked play for as long as you need, and do things in small increments. Make sure you have fun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I would advise you to find someone and spend a few hours spamming 2s to your CP cap so you get some decent gear. Gear is extremely important when it comes to PvP in WoW, so save yourself the frustration and get gear before you do anything else.

Then of course you have to find some people you want to play with if you are interested in arenas. But first get gear!
    this is a very good advice!

why do people bother with pvp in a broken game ? this isnt even fun and the sad thing is... its been for 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by jasdasm View Post
    why do people bother with pvp in a broken game ? this isnt even fun and the sad thing is... its been for 10 years
    Surprise! Some people find it fun. You pretty much just posted "stop liking things that i dont like"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsardion Vaergrim View Post
    I unsubbed from this game in april during a rough time in my life that warcraft was preventing me from fixing. Now I feel like I'm back on my two feet and ready to resub. The caveat is, if I come back, I want to be a real pvp-er. Gone will be the days on relying for raids and schedules and playing a fixed rotation for hours on end until the lewt drops, and hello to the days of just queue-ing up to a bg or an arena match and smashing face (or getting my face smashed).

Problem is, I really don't know how to achieve that.

I have a 100 warrior who's fury, but I'm going to return to Arms (arms was boring in pve, but that might be different in pvp). I have some 630 pvp gear and capped honor sitting in his bag along with 20k gold.

My question is: how to I begin my journey as a pvp-er rather than a pve-er? Find a guild? Watch videos of skilled pvp streamers? Read up on guides? Grind basic BGs until I get the gist? Teach me your secrets oh wise ones.
    Generally i would have said sign up for skilledcapped and watch their guides, but they are really slacking on their end atm they however still make some decent comb based vids explaining how the different setups work and what to watch out for.

But mainly you have two options, ask a pro player what they do with your class if he has any macros tips and tricks he could teach you etc. and then practice practice practice, this is highly unlikely since pro players rarely "waste" their time talking to scrubs no offense.

The second option you have which is the one i could recommend, i did this back in the days my self find a coach who KNOWS everything about your class and plays it at a very high level and train with him, most people will take money for this tho so there is some sort of aspect to that. i was lucky enough that my coach was a RL friend tho.

Thoose are my hints, you can ofcause learn to play PvP by your self and to some degree it will work just not to a high level or it will take a LOOONG time.

(wait till next season with starting up)

In my opinion PvP is all about networking. I mean there are the obvious things that will make you a better pvper.

1. Knowing your class
    2. Knowing the enemy class
    3. Knowing how your comp can get a kill
    4. Knowing how the enemy comp can get a kill

But those are all things that you learn as you PvP. Starting a friends list of players that like to pvp is probably the best first step. The rest comes with time. You can learn a lot from a other players and its nice to sign in and have people ask if you want to pvp instead of just running over and starting to duel.