Build upgrade time - UK

Evening all,

I was hoping to get some advice on updating my current PC build. I'm not great with components but have some experience with building. The system is approx. 4-5 years old now although I did upgrade the GPU back in 2013.

Current setup:
    Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit OS
    Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K CPU 3.30GHz
    RAM: 8.00 GB
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SC ACX 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express
    Mothboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
    Tower: Cooler master HAF912 Plus midi tower case
    Cooling: Arctic cooling freezer 13 high-performance CPU cool
    PSU: 650 W Corsair SLI crossfire compliant power supply
    Storage: 1 TB Samsung F3 SATA 3.5" hard drive
    Monitors:
    22" BenQ G2222HDL Widescreen LED Monitor
    BenQ GL2450HM 24-inch Widescreen LED Multimedia Monitor (1920 x 1080, 2 ms, VGA, DVI-D, HDMI, Windows 7 Compatible)

Budget: would be around £1000-1500.
    Use: 95% gaming and web browsing. Possibly a bit of watching TV shows, etc. Would also consider a blu ray drive. Don't really need any peripherals but would possibly consider a new monitor for a better image. Whilst 4k sounds awesome in terms of resolutions, etc I would be happy with playing games at high settings/fps at a more typical level. Games include WoW, SC2, GTA5, Witcher 3, Homeworld remastered.

I'd appreciate any help with updating the above.

Aside from a GPU upgrade and perhaps an SSD for Windows + common programs, you won't really see too much of a benefit from upgrading that processor. It's a K-series with a decent cooler, so overclock the thing!
    Super casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    Evening all,

I was hoping to get some advice on updating my current PC build. I'm not great with components but have some experience with building. The system is approx. 4-5 years old now although I did upgrade the GPU back in 2013.

Current setup:
    Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit OS
    Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K CPU 3.30GHz
    RAM: 8.00 GB
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SC ACX 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express
    Mothboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
    Tower: Cooler master HAF912 Plus midi tower case
    Cooling: Arctic cooling freezer 13 high-performance CPU cool
    PSU: 650 W Corsair SLI crossfire compliant power supply
    Storage: 1 TB Samsung F3 SATA 3.5" hard drive
    Monitors:
    22" BenQ G2222HDL Widescreen LED Monitor
    BenQ GL2450HM 24-inch Widescreen LED Multimedia Monitor (1920 x 1080, 2 ms, VGA, DVI-D, HDMI, Windows 7 Compatible)

Budget: would be around £1000-1500.
    Use: 95% gaming and web browsing. Possibly a bit of watching TV shows, etc. Would also consider a blu ray drive. Don't really need any peripherals but would possibly consider a new monitor for a better image. Whilst 4k sounds awesome in terms of resolutions, etc I would be happy with playing games at high settings/fps at a more typical level. Games include WoW, SC2, GTA5, Witcher 3, Homeworld remastered.

I'd appreciate any help with updating the above.
    Not too much of a point in upgrading your CPU. You could move to a 4690k easily within your budget but the gains would only be 5-10%. If you do not have an OC on your current CPU I would do that. That will allow you to put more into GPU, you could look at going for a 1440p or 4k monitor and a GTX980 or AMD 290/290x. TBH though, with your current build you should not be having too many problems and the new 390x and 980ti are just around the corner. With you budget you may be able to squeeze one of those and a 1440p monitor and be in really good shape. Might be worth it to wait a month for the new stuff to come out.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could wait for the R9 390x or 980Ti.

You can get a simple 2560x1440 like the BenQ GW2765HT or U2515H.
    I advise against the XB270HU atm cause Acer is being Acer with QA (poor).

Deleted
    Things I'd suggest:

1) Get an SSD (ideally 250GB, as those htings are around £70) and a CPU cooler;
    2) wait until July to upgrade the GPU, given the rumors about the R9-390X and GTX980Ti and upgrading to 2560*1440 monitor, like Remilia suggests;
    3) Consider, in the medium-term, upgrading to Skylake and Z170 next year.

Your CPU is fine for now, and just needs overclocking to get more performance out.

Thanks for the advice.

I have a SSD.

so a new cooler (recommendation?), GPU and Monitor?

Thanks all.

- - - Updated - - -

Would someone be able to suggest:

- A better cooler?
    - A GPU? When is the 980ti due?
    - A Monitor? (2560 x 1440 & 144 hz sound like must haves).
    - Blu-ray drive.?

Thanks all. I have no exp with OC a CPU but the bios software seems to have a automated function and it allowed me to boost it up to a stable 4.2 GHz(??) after testing with the recommended tools.

Deleted
    1) the DEEPCOOL Lucifer and the beQuiet! Dark Rock coolers ahould be upgrades;
    2) Don't know for certain, but likely June/July, as is the R9-390X;
    3) Remilia is much better than me for this, so I'd go with Rem's suggestions;
    4) You shouldn't need one, but a basic BD reader with DVD/RW functionality should be around £35.

Hi guys. To follow up I'm looking to get a 980Ti and a new monitor? Would this be sufficient for an upgrade? Could anyone recommend a good 1440p monitor? On a side note, I am thinking about being a little mental and splashing out on:

http://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurat...c-vengeance-ti

Should I just stick to upgrading? Is this overpriced? not sure I would want to try building this myself.

15+ Year Old Account
    The PSU in that build is not that great, and yes it's overpriced. You could build one yourself with the same specs for cheaper.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Deleted
    This is as good (if not slightly better overall) for less:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£252.98 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.95 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£129.40 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Red 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£70.91 @ More Computers)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£131.95 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Toshiba MD03ACA-V 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£112.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked ACX 2.0+ Video Card (£554.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case (£96.20 @ More Computers)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£66.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (£48.38 @ Aria PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) (£75.54 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £1564.04
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-21 07:42 BST+0100

Thanks for the advice gents. Still not sure whether to just upgrade the gpu or splash out on a new build...

Is the dell U2515H a good gaming monitor?

Deleted
    It's not bad. Remilia is more of an expert than me on monitors.

Good to see that it's a slight upgrade from the U2414H, which is a quality monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    U2515H is good overall pick for a general consumer 2560x1440. Overall lag for U2515H is also a non issue for those worrying about it.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2515h.htm
    http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test...tionsverhalten

Deleted
    Since we are almost there and you don't really seem in a rush, you got a decent rig there, i would wait for the new intel Skylake chips. They release in late August-September. Haswell is dead end atm, worth 1-2months imo, again since you already got a decent rig there.