Thread: Space Elevator

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    They'll just fly a plane into it or send missiles.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missile_defense

Planes on a unplanned course detected by radars would get shot down. The technology needed to bypass modern defense systems is not something terrorists have access to, as space elevator would also be of global interest so no world power would aim to destroy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ever present View Post
    Shoot down a highjacked plane filled with innocent passengers? No one will take that hot potato, rather just let it crash into elevator than handle the media holocaust that will follow.
    in that scenario the plane and the people on it are dead anyway, better to blow it out the sky sooner rather it hitting something and causing more problems, if we had the technology to build something like that anyway there most likely should be safeguards to prevent the high jacking of planes.

Deleted
    It's cool but it'll be every terrorist's first target.
    no offence bro but i guess you are an american?

Shoot down a highjacked plane filled with innocent passengers? No one will take that hot potato, rather just let it crash into elevator than handle the media holocaust that will follow.
    Passengers die either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't a space elevator come crashing down at more force than a life ending asteroid? Seems way too dangerous to build.

10+ Year Old Account
    a "space elevator" generally does not necessarily mean a structure that reaches from the ground to space.
    just a tether, connected to a geosync satellite would work, then you just need a winching platform to climb the cable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    in that scenario the plane and the people on it are dead anyway, better to blow it out the sky sooner rather it hitting something and causing more problems, if we had the technology to build something like that anyway there most likely should be safeguards to prevent the high jacking of planes.
    The people will blame the government for the deaths of those passengers, regardless the fact that it was the terrorists who are to blame. Like I said, a media holocaust would follow and it will all be directed at the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missile_defense

Planes on a unplanned course detected by radars would get shot down. The technology needed to bypass modern defense systems is not something terrorists have access to, as space elevator would also be of global interest so no world power would aim to destroy it.
    Yes, but terrorists destroyed ancient artifacts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Wouldn't a space elevator come crashing down at more force than a life ending asteroid? Seems way too dangerous to build.
    No because an asteroid drops from the sky at great speed. A structure would just collapse down on itself, thus have a much lower speed.

Imagine a skyscraper falling from the sky. Now imagine it just collapsing while on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by axiom View Post
    no offence bro but i guess you are an american?
    Nope, I remember 9/11.

Deleted
    Nope, I remember 9/11.

Deleted
    It's cool but it'll be every terrorist's first target.
    Why should it be the first target? Becouse it is big? There are plenty big structures and symbolic around the world like the Burj Khalifa, The Golden Gate and all the EU useless institucional buildings that could also be consider "First target" for that reason. There are even more buildings that are huge that support space exploration and research like all the bases, universities and observatories that have minimum security. And what terrorist would actually want to destroy that? And how much poweful and orginize must be this group to destroy such thing that would probably have and above average security protocol?

Don´t get me wrong, of course this could be a terrorist target, like anything else, I just don´t understand the statement that this would be the "first target" for all the terrorist groups around the world. Maybe becouse you think this building would be the most important building for the human race and so, the most fatality for our moral if it gets destroyed even if it gets built in a no so far future and also considering this is a complete abstract idea of someone that probably hasn´t never study if this is even possible to build or achive and also mentioning that the viewer doesn´t probably d understand the capabilty of such structure and only becouse of an imagine he/she guides his/her judgement of the value around it.

I´m really curius, why would you say this is "Every Terrorist´s first target." Though I might know the answer and I have only wrote this after being without sleep 27 hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_hijacking

"The plane will be shot down if it is deemed to become a missile heading for strategic targets." India.

Germany however won't several EU countries won't, but if we assume that laws are generally made to protect large financial interests you can put money on it that this action will even be taken by other countries even if it's seen as "state sponsored murder" and majority of the people would not even care. Russia and the US already have these things in place.

No because an asteroid drops from the sky at great speed. A structure would just collapse down on itself, thus have a much lower speed.

Imagine a skyscraper falling from the sky. Now imagine it just collapsing while on the ground.
    It would deffinetely fall much much faster than skyscraper. 99% of cable is in space and there's no air resistance to prevent it from falling so it will gather some speed while falling. You are right that it wouldn't be anywhere close to asteroid on the other hand as they are massive and go at very high speeds ~6km/s-30 km/s

Deleted
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_hijacking

"The plane will be shot down if it is deemed to become a missile heading for strategic targets." India.

Germany however won't several EU countries won't, but if we assume that laws are generally made to protect large financial interests you can put money on it that this action will even be taken by other countries even if it's seen as "state sponsored murder" and majority of the people would not even care. Russia and the US already have these things in place.
    India, pfft. I'm talking about countries where the government gives a shit about the public opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but terrorists destroyed ancient artifacts.
    In unstable countries, do explain the comparison to an elevator build in a controlled environment.

- - - Updated - - -

India, pfft. I'm talking about countries where the government gives a shit about the public opinion.
    Russia and the US area also included in this.

Deleted

Russia and the US area also included in this.
    Just because it is on paper, doesn't mean it will be respected. It would be political suicide for the party in power. I can imagine the headlines "The government murdered Americans", "Plane with innocent passengers shot down by the military". I can also imagine the word "terrorist" being mentioned only once or twice.

10+ Year Old Account
    The important thing is that "love in an elevator" has to play on a constant loop for the two days it takes to reach orbit.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    The important thing is that "love in an elevator" has to play on a constant loop for the two days it takes to reach orbit.
    Can you imagine being the bellhop in that thing?

"Hey buddy, how goes the job?"

"It has its ups and downs."

Every......day.....

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be much easier just to build a large railgun.

Guess what happened here:
    http://hoshikudaki.lagrange-points.n...tvjk-00032.jpg
    Don't sweat the details!!!