6.2 Legendary Ring Upgrade

Background:
    Starting in a 6.2 PTR build at the end of April, a ring upgrade spell was datamined: http://ptr.wowhead.com/spell=187958/power-infusion
    "Infuse your Legendary ring with greater power, up to item level 795."

Further, it was discovered that the item bonus ID's of the legendary rings came in 3-item-level increments, suggesting the ability to upgrade the legendary ring could be done 20 times, up to item level 795.

Discussion:
    If this information is accurate, how do you guys think this upgrade will be obtained/performed? A weekly quest? Just going to Khadgar every week? What does this mean for the longevity of 6.2 and possibility of 6.3 or a third raid tier in WoD? I'd like to hear some ideas!

Notes/Observations:
    If the upgrade is weekly it could possibly be used to add 5 months of relevance to 6.2.
    I haven't been able to find an item responsible for the Power Infusion spell, which has a 5 second cast time.
    It's possible it was added for the next tier, since the item level is so ridiculously high, but why would the spell appear in 6.2?
    The ring ending at 795 would force the next tier or expansion's item levels to be substantially higher than they would be otherwise.
    Last edited by Ataxus; 2015-05-17 at 09:41 PM.
    Mage in <Strawberry Puppy Kisses> on Area 52

Deleted
    Already feeling a third raid tier hanging in the air, since they buffed the ilvl of the class trinkets to give them more continuum, this is ofc my interpretation and it could have been done just for gameplay reasons. If that legendary ring ilvl is legit, i'm getting my hopes up even more for a third raid tier and as i have felt since the start of this expansion if we don't get one i'll be disappointed to say the least.

Deleted
    Gonna give the players some pseudo content/item progression til next xpac launch in April/May 2016.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ataxus View Post
    If this information is accurate, how do you guys think this upgrade will be obtained/performed? A weekly quest? Just going to Khadgar every week?
    Probably a quest to weekly clear HFC (or Archi kills). A quest from Khadgar to defeat Archimonde every week?

Quote Originally Posted by Ataxus View Post
    What does this mean for the longevity of 6.2 and possibility of 6.3 or a third raid tier in WoD? I'd like to hear some ideas!
    From a financial POV, Blizzard has accepted the cyclical nature of the sub model. I.E. irrespective of what a 6.2 or a 6.3 brings, they will continue to bleed subs till the next expac. The only way to boost subs is to release a new expac. This is like an inverted Sawtooth waveform.

So, the ring upgrades could well serve as an indirect incremental content nerf while we all wait for the next expac. For bleeding edge guilds, I don't think the ring upgrades will matter at all - they will probably be done with progression before the upgrades unlock. However for lesser and more casual guild, the ring upgrades could well serve the purpose of the ICC or DS buff at the end of previous expacs.

Regarding 6.3:
    Purely from a financial POV, I don't see a full blown raid tier for 6.3. Subs they lost won't return for 6.3. So, it would make more financial sense to offload most of their dev/design resources to a new expac. New expac = new box sales + spike in subs = more profit.
    However, I do see a mini-patch containing a couple of bosses. Or a dragon patch like Halion (maybe).

I think the next xpac is still coming Mar 2016, no third tier. I don't mind a weekly quest, but I would think there's a proper catchup mechanism for alts. If they go through with this, I also expect the ilvl requirements for pugs just to get inflated because of the ring, just like with the legendary cloak. It could just be some, the patch has been out for X weeks, and you can now upgrade it X times sort of thing, like with apexis or something. At least the Mage Tower has got us covered for apexis without needing to quest much. Maybe it's not the best solution in the world, but players did react positively to the 5 ilvl gear buff in BRF, and the upgrades in ToT and SoO. Players like getting stronger rather than the bosses being nerfed. It's just not really ideal from a design standpoint to just hand that out when players could work for it, even if it accomplishes the task. There's also that matter of bosses dropping different ilvl loot, but I'm waiting for the blog on that. Blizzard really wants us to get incremental ilvl progression across a tier. It's definitely an experiment.

Anyhow, 20 upgrades does suggest something weekly. It could very well be a kill Archimonde quest like was suggested. Will be awhile before Archimonde LFR is out, but making the base ring might take a couple of months too. I believe Watcher did say it wouldn't be apart of cutting edge progression, so we basically have confirmation it's at least a month. Or a, "kill one of the end wing bosses then siphon them" quests, kind of like a Muradin Bronzebeard thing with added siphoning. That seems a bit more likely.
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2015-05-18 at 03:43 PM.