Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account

Classic Everquest server starting this Wednesday!

In whats probably the last time to join in on a mostly classic EQ server, Ragefire time locked progression server opens this Wednesday.

Its not 100% classic, more like 97%. They did have to fix some obvious problems in game and couldn't revert every single zone back to original but its as close as your going to find other than project 1999.

Anyone going to play?

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it F2P?

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    No, you would have to pay

Ya requiring a sub just to access the classic prog. servers is a little silly. They barely have any normal servers going as is. I understood and agreed when they first dropped, but to still charge and then acknowledge p99 on their forums is just... i dont get it.
    I havent played on an official classic server for a bit, but I remember when playing it didnt feel like classic anyway.
    p99 is still the superior classic EQ exp in my opinion. Those guys are doing it because they love everquest. Daybreak is doing it because they love money.

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    I cant say daybreak is greedy for providing a service people are requesting.

I have played both project 1999 and the current classic beta and while each have strengths and weaknesses, I would choose to play classic on daybreaks servers for a couple reasons.

1) Progression. Currently its set at 6 months for classic and something like 4 months or so after bosses killed for each expansions thereafter once a vote has passed. P1999 is nice but the server population is very very low to where its hard to do anything of note unless you are in 1-2 guilds.
    2) bugs and issues being resolved. P1999 heavily nerfed certain classes. I do not like.
    3) I want to raid old raid bosses. While this is possible on p1999, I feel that its more likely to happen on live servers.
    4) currently only interested in the server up through planes of power. Once that expansion is finished for me and I have killed/farmed potime, I would most likely go back to p1999 because the future expansions are uninspiring for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    Ya requiring a sub just to access the classic prog. servers is a little silly. They barely have any normal servers going as is. I understood and agreed when they first dropped, but to still charge and then acknowledge p99 on their forums is just... i dont get it.
    I havent played on an official classic server for a bit, but I remember when playing it didnt feel like classic anyway.
    p99 is still the superior classic EQ exp in my opinion. Those guys are doing it because they love everquest. Daybreak is doing it because they love money.
    You can already play EQ Live 100% free. This is because there is a marketplace from which Daybreak can realize income. The marketplace will be extremely sparse on the progression servers. Would you go to the work or putting together and hosting a progression server and expect little to no revenue? No, you wouldn't. Moreover, there will be no GM presence on this server, so it would totally make sense to make it free so bots and boxer armies can run rampant, taking all content from average players. SOUNDS GREAT! WHERE DO I SIGN UP!?

Quote Originally Posted by Televators View Post
    You can already play EQ Live 100% free. This is because there is a marketplace from which Daybreak can realize income. The marketplace will be extremely sparse on the progression servers. Would you go to the work or putting together and hosting a progression server and expect little to no revenue? No, you wouldn't. Moreover, there will be no GM presence on this server, so it would totally make sense to make it free so bots and boxer armies can run rampant, taking all content from average players. SOUNDS GREAT! WHERE DO I SIGN UP!?
    Did they lift all the ftp restrictions like max lvl and rank 2+ spells and such on normal servers? And they didnt do any work... the system was already in place, this is just another copy/paste classic server made by a previous company.

Im a fan of EQ. Daybreak needs to earn my trust. Dismantling EQ Next is a negative for me, whether or not it was a smart business decision. I know its foolish to want a company to focus on the players and the game instead of the bottom line. I'm a fool. Oh well. And whats wrong with boxing? Because its too much of a hastle/costly for most? I like boxing when friend arent online.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    Did they lift all the ftp restrictions like max lvl and rank 2+ spells and such on normal servers? And they didnt do any work... the system was already in place, this is just another copy/paste classic server made by a previous company.

Im a fan of EQ. Daybreak needs to earn my trust. Dismantling EQ Next is a negative for me, whether or not it was a smart business decision. I know its foolish to want a company to focus on the players and the game instead of the bottom line. I'm a fool. Oh well. And whats wrong with boxing? Because its too much of a hastle/costly for most? I like boxing when friend arent online.
    You get 19 of 21 expansions with FTP. You can level to 90 (which takes months for most anyone that's not hardcore), but must get the latest expansion to level to cap. Rank II and III spells still require a sub. These two things aren't issues for the great majority of people who'd like to try EQ and play for free. If they're issues, you're likely more of a power gamer and paying the sub would be the best choice. For instance, I've never had someone ask my FTP toons if I was using rank II or III spells. No one cares unless you're hardcore raiding--which you wouldn't be doing FTP. Without these small perks, there would really be no reason to buy a sub. I can't think of a game that gives you more for nothing as it is.

I love boxing. I do it on my 3 accounts. But on a TLP server, a 6-man box can take down ANY camp in classic and hold an entire zone, in some cases. You're already going to see a few people with disposable incomes doing just that. Imagine if it were free any everyone could do the same. No thanks. The smart decision is to charge for access to TLP and I'm glad they're doing it.

EQN is a debacle, but that's hardly DBG's fault. That game's never going to see the light of day, I don't think. All the more reason to get your EQ fix from Ragefire!