Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thinking of returning to wow, need bit help

Hello guys, im thinking of returning to WoW after 3-4years, I know that game is not in perfect state but im bored to death on daily bases and was thinking of returning to game together with gf that never played wow before. Im wondering how hard is to make that ~40k gold to pay with for subscription via token? If you would have to gues how many hours of farming or just dedicating my self on making that gold would i need monthly in order to make enough? (without flipping AH stuff i hate doing that)

EDITED with additional info:

I played since 8/2005 till heroic LK, i got fed up with super HC raiding for years where i had to be 5-6 nights a week in for raid and so i quit pve, then i was doing some casual pvp for a while but was done with wow on early Cata, maybe 4-5 monts in.

Im jobless and have lots of free time, and having nothing to play is so super boring i cant stand it..played literally every single player game i was interested in.
    Did try few other MMOs like few monts of SWTOR, Guild wars 2 for a year or so and every single ftp mmo but none of them was real deal for me.
    Im thinking of returning to WoW for quite some time now but monthly sub was problem for me as i dont have job so wow tokens are must for me (im on EU realms)

Managed to gather some cash, enough to buy game for two of us and get us 3 monts sub each "till we are back on our feets in game" and ideally to be able to farm after initial 3 monts for that sub without becoming little china farmer and still having some gold for my toons

Got some left over gold from before i quited but i may as well roll on another realm/faction.
    I have 6-7 charrs that are 80lvl (if i recall that was cata cap) but they are all on same realm that im not sure i wish to play again as its 99% ally faction now, and back then at least i use to love balanced realms, which it use to be, just not anymore. (Frostmane EU ally side)

Was thinking till two of us catch with game and learn everything, clean some old raids for achievemends, fun and loot for transmo. Play some pvp for fun and teach her to raid and later maybe apply for some semi hc guild or so.. but all that drops in water if i cant farm enough for game sub without much problems :S

Dont mind doing garison or good old classic mobs/ore/herb/cloth farming stuff as long as i dont need to do it for hours and hours each and every day.
    Same with fishing/cooking, i use to make tons like that during early TBC back when very few ppl had high fishing due to no achievements in game. Part of AH with buff foods were all mine if u wanted to eat fresh fish u had to eat my fish!

Thanks in advance!

--
    Last edited by Stiletto; 2015-05-19 at 02:12 PM.

IDK what expansion you stopped at, if you have a couple of 85s, just farm classic/tbc raids for pets on all your toons and sell them. That should get you at least 10k to start out with.
    There really isn't much that can be farmed now. Well you can always farm draenor herbs/ore, but its mostly a waste of time since pretty much everybody can self-sustain. But soloing old raids is the way to go. Start with all the classic raids for pets and transmog pieces and hope you get lucky running AQ20. Run literally every raid and you are guaranteed a least a few thousand in vendor crap, then just sell all the pets.

But the easiest way is flipping AH stuff

I just made 60k gold from passive garrison treasure hunter missions this week. Not counting all the mats i got from professions. It may be best to just level to 100 as fast as possible with several toons then just rake in the gold.

Deleted
    If you want to make money it is very easy to do so.

I have at least 8 treasure hunters on 4 toons + level 3 inn, I get enough for the token (if I wanted to buy it) from Garrison stuff alone in a week, I recently got this to under 10 mins a day + about 1hr once a week (to deal with salvage restock work orders etc etc).

I am also making more money from professions than ever before (I actually like the profession changes).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilzar View Post
    If you want to make money it is very easy to do so.

I have at least 8 treasure hunters on 4 toons + level 3 inn
    You totally ignored the part where he mentioned that he hasn't played in years. It will take him time to not only learn the game again, but also get to the point where he can actually make any kind of money from the garrison. Your example is valid for someone with a character and garrison already maxed. It's useless for now, for the OP.

The primary feature of new expansion sucks out tens of thousands from your pocket, previous expansion did a good job at it to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    Inn give you nothing, but 1 more follower once a week. Which is good for getting the treasure hunters. Heroic quests are no good. You need to log on every 1-2 hours to send out followers. Crafting are tied to 1 day cooldown.
    Level 3 tavern/inn gives you gold missions which synergise quite well with the treasure hunters. I'm turning in 20k gold per day (albeit on 9 characters). Around 2-2.5k per character per day with only logging in 3 or 4 times (morning, mid afternoon, evening, then maybe a quick resort before i go to bed). Around 30-40 minutes playtime per day.

That of course relies on a bit of work to get to that stage.

Don't come back. Just... don't.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your first month will be the worst for gold as you'll be grinding levels but if you're hard up for gold, check your pets. You might by chance have a rare pet or two that you can AH for some quick gold if need be (and possibly buy back again later).
    It's very possible to farm token gold, especially on NA servers. Even without WoD I managed enough for 4 months worth just doing the mount-related raids every week (although on ~7 toons, about an hour per toon). At 100 I imagine it would be quite a bit faster and more lucrative to do the relevant Cata and WotLK raids on 25man (opposed to 10man).

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Dude, don't come back. I know you may want to right now but fill your life with something else.

Farming the gold required would take at least 2 hours hard farming every day per account (time increasing every day due to inflation) its always best when expansion/patch is new to go for the valuable farms before most people have it.

I don't focus around farming gold so i may be way off. Just to me, and I would bet most players. 40k a month is at or twice the total income per char, through normal play which is actually one of the better gold farms.
    You could alternatively get 2-3 100's and gear them to like 660 ilevel. Then do each cata raid at 25man H difficulty. 5k+ depending on what drops. After 4 weeks with one toon you have the gold. 3 is just for safety. But it wont be good at first.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Deleted
    Inn give you nothing, but 1 more follower once a week. Which is good for getting the treasure hunters. Heroic quests are no good. You need to log on every 1-2 hours to send out followers. Crafting are tied to 1 day cooldown and very expensive essences.

Glad to see your making money with professions though. JC perhaps? Or are people actually buying pots?
    Huh, what are you talking about? Inn @ level 3 gives you 1 or 2 extra 75g or 100g (which is actually 225g or 300g with treasure hunters) missions every day that is 500g a day ish which over 4 toons is 2k, while 2k is not much it is not "nothing" (well in fact that is 60k a month in reality).

Most of my profession money making is through making weapons (inscription/blacksmithing) or the last level item upgrade (tailoring/leatherworking).

I could make more money from enchanting and jewelcrafting but I keep the mats for guildies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by robyanhuz View Post
    The primary feature of new expansion sucks out tens of thousands from your pocket, previous expansion did a good job at it to.
    And also makes you WAY WAY WAY more than it costs to build (if you want to).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anium View Post
    Dude, don't come back. I know you may want to right now but fill your life with something else.
    Look lots of people hate warlords we get it, but you need to understand that some people are actually enjoying themselves.

He should make his own mind up.

Deleted
    Like others have said. Do not come back, the game is boring at the moment and you will be bored of it in 1 month. You have a several month handicap which will prevent you from doing proper PvP or PvE at any significant level once you reach level cap.

If you do decide to come back, before you can make money you will spend money. You will make some gold from quests leveling up but once at lvl 100 you will spend around 10.000 buying blueprints and upgrading your garrison. It will also be a long process since you will have to gather the garrison resources to build it up.

So after all the gold and time spent you will be in a position to make gold again. You can get epic enchanting crystals from your garrison (2 per day) to sell, plus some herbs and some ore. JC daily also gives you some gold. Don't expect to make much money from crafting since you will have to run daily CDs for weeks before you are able to do anything worthwhile. Regardless what people say, there is still a market for selling mats as some people just cant be bothered to farm their mine/garden anymore. Alternatively savage blood still sells ok if you can get a couple of characters to max level and raise your barn to level 3.

In short: How long it takes you to farm the 40k needed for a token depends on how much you invest. Both in time leveling characters/alts and in gold building up your garrison. Farming is viable but boring since you can't fly. You say you are bored, why would you come to WoW just to do boring stuff?

It is going to take you a good month or two of leveling toons and garrisons to get to the point that one makes good amounts of gold from them.
    Heck to get a garrison up to the point that it is spitting out gold, meaning it is level 3 cost close to 10k.
    If you don't use the ah to help you make money it will take even longer.
    Also one of the easiest ways to make gold from the ah savage bloods from the barns one can make in ones garrison make no where near the money they use to make.
    But fishing and cooking can make someone good money on the ah, specially since the bot ban wave.
    Again though fishing takes some time.
    It isn't easy as some like to claim here it takes some time and work but once up to that point money is t hard to come by.
    People seem to forget they are now near 6 months of doing this.
    The first month or so took some work and time and you won't have the savage blood to use as we did earlier.

So ask yourself do you want to put in the work or not?

Deleted
    It's nice to have multiple max level alts that have already invested tens of thousands, eh?

You play A LOT more than 10 minutes a day and have played (and payed) A LOT more to reach the "income point" your at.

I was talking reality. Which is that inn wont cover his fees. Not even close, before after having played a lot. And even then not near enough unless severe exploiting on multiple chars.

Question is what else is expected to get out of the game and what other expenses may be pulling income down.

Sure everyone can make lvl 100 gold twinks. Thats not what the game is about..
    No idea what your talking about at all.

About 6 weeks ago I started working on my Priests garrison and it takes very little play time to get things going, it does take ACTUAL time sure but not play time she is almost as profitable as my main now.

Do you have to invest to make money? Sure of course you do.

Also "Sure everyone can make lvl 100 gold twinks. Thats not what the game is about.."

What sort of bullshit is this?

It is what the game is about IF you want to make money...

My Garrison takes 10-20 mins a day (for my entire account) you can believe me or not its up to you.

Seing as I can no longer AH play (no ore shuffling for one example) gold is way slower.

As a single level 100, playing 5 weeks off WOD now, doing work orders, garrison, loremaster done, achivement nerd....blabla (new aim is 21k now..)

...I have made around nothing. Think I started with about 350k, and now made like 20-25k, but mind you I played alot to.

You can make 30k a week sure, but garrison has ruined proffesions and AH play, so inn order to get gold inn WOD you farm cata raids (LOL!) or level an army off alts you re-log 5 mins a day....

Im sure this exspansion is great for people who can't understand basic AH playing, but enjoy alt lvling and that sort off casual bullshit trough...

Oh I should say I still scour AH daylie, and the profit is around 25g pr. JC/LW "garrison" mats. 1 item requires 100 off thoes...You do the math for your own server, selling 640 BOE's take a few days for me, even when I re-roll the stats to something better.
    Last edited by Djuntas; 2015-05-19 at 10:12 AM.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    So I guess not even your main is running 20 675 epic followers.
    Huh? I have no idea what point your trying to prove.

Yes it takes time to get a garrison going, yes it takes gold. Your not slaving away for hours and hours on it though.

The pay of is high if you can be bothered though, and comments like "Inn is pointless" completely prove you have no idea what your talking about.

Leveling up followers with Harrison Jones + War Mill and salvage yard is very easy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    but garrison has ruined proffesions and AH play
    Could not disagree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilzar View Post
    Huh? I have no idea what point your trying to prove.

Yes it takes time to get a garrison going, yes it takes gold. Your not slaving away for hours and hours on it though.

The pay of is high if you can be bothered though, and comments like "Inn is pointless" completely prove you have no idea what your talking about.

Leveling up followers with Harrison Jones + War Mill and salvage yard is very easy.

- - - Updated - - -

Could not disagree more.
    No worries, its cause you have never AH played inn the first place.

<- 2.5 million gold made on just my druid. Most off that is since end off WOTLk when I started AH playing. I have over 125k auctions posted aswell, its a mini-game, that requires insight, and if you do it we'll its great pay off. My biggest score is 30k on 1 day with 3-4 hours off work. On average I could get 4-10k gold with 1-2 hours off work.

And my numbers are nothing. There are AH players who litterally printed gold troughout the years. Patch bonaza with inscription obviously being the biggest gold income day inn wow's history. I just wasent on it back then sadly.

Seing as I can no longer AH play (no ore shuffling for one example) gold is way slower.

As a single level 100, playing 5 weeks off WOD now, doing work orders, garrison, loremaster done, achivement nerd....blabla (new aim is 21k now..)

...I have made around nothing. Think I started with about 350k, and now made like 20-25k, but mind you I played alot to.

You can make 30k a week sure, but garrison has ruined proffesions and AH play, so inn order to get gold inn WOD you farm cata raids (LOL!) or level an army off alts you re-log 5 mins a day....

Im sure this exspansion is great for people who can't understand basic AH playing, but enjoy alt lvling and that sort off casual bullshit trough...

Oh I should say I still scour AH daylie, and the profit is around 25g pr. JC/LW "garrison" mats. 1 item requires 100 off thoes...You do the math for your own server, selling 640 BOE's take a few days for me, even when I re-roll the stats to something better.
    You obviously have no clue how to work the ah.
    Putting one profession made piece of gear is not ah playing.
    Ah playing is seeing that say the 125 buff food sells well(and does some times 500g or more a stack on my server) and putting the right food in the ah.
    What does that mean , means it sells better raid days meaning weekdays starting tues.
    So what does one do? buy them cheaply on the weekend and repost on say tues.
    That is ah playing.
    Same can be done for flasks and potions for other examples.
    If you know what you are doing it is indeed still very profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewsco View Post
    You obviously have no clue how to work the ah.
    Putting one profession made piece of gear is not ah playing.
    Ah playing is seeing that say the 125 buff food sells well(and does some times 500g or more a stack on my server) and putting the right food in the ah.
    What does that mean , means it sells better raid days meaning weekdays starting tues.
    So what does one do? buy them cheaply on the weekend and repost on say tues.
    That is ah playing.
    Same can be done for flasks and potions for other examples.
    If you know what you are doing it is indeed still very profitable.
    That you described is no gold income. Its laughable that thoes small time flips, witch any AH player knows about (Like anyone dosent know that you should buy/scour mats on weekends cause most people farmed at that time, and then sell it on wensdays...), is the best example off AH playing we can have inn WOD.

Again AH playing is dead. You can only make gold if you level alts and do you're garrison log inn's every day like a good boy. I would argue if you had a huge nest to fall on, its profitable to gamble on TCG flipping and more high end flips. Have a mate inn my guild who does that, mind you he does everything inn a grand way inn wow, so he gold-caps black market when he see's something he likes, just to spend some off the gold...

That you described is no gold income. Its laughable that thoes small time flips, witch any AH player knows about (Like anyone dosent know that you should buy/scour mats on weekends cause most people farmed at that time, and then sell it on wensdays...), is the best example off AH playing we can have inn WOD.

Again AH playing is dead. You can only make gold if you level alts and do you're garrison log inn's every day like a good boy. I would argue if you had a huge nest to fall on, its profitable to gamble on TCG flipping and more high end flips. Have a mate inn my guild who does that, mind you he does everything inn a grand way inn wow, so he gold-caps black market when he see's something he likes, just to spend some off the gold...
    Again it isn't dead because you say so.
    I have over a million gold on three different servers that says it isn't.
    That was just one small example of what one can do but you have keep your false claim hat it is dead so of course you are going to disagree.
    If you can't/don't know how to work the ah don't talk about something you obviously have no clue about.
    I am not going to sit here and tell you how to do it step by step but if you have a brain it isn't hard to do.
    Your false claims are a joke.
    So you are saying nothing sells on the ah anymore?
    As long as thier is an ah thier will be ways to make money off of it.
    If anything I make more now because more people have more money to buy things because of garrisons.
    Please stop embarrisng yourself