Thread: Ranked Points.

Deleted

Ranked Points.

Does anyone know how the ranked points are working? I am playing with my roomate and even though we are the same rank, the difference in points awarded is huge. The last game we played he got 82 points and I got 365. How is that possible?

The game figures you're playing better than him?

Deleted
    Ofc I am better than him But that much? Feels abit too much

I have stopped trying to figure out how this game's MMR and ranked points work. Faced a team an hour ago, they had an Illidan with more than 2000 games. Match history showed him winning a majority too. All 4 of his team mates were level 22-25. We ran over them so hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    I have stopped trying to figure out how this game's MMR and ranked points work. Faced a team an hour ago, they had an Illidan with more than 2000 games. Match history showed him winning a majority too. All 4 of his team mates were level 22-25. We ran over them so hard.
    Its simple it pairs the entire pools of experience against each other not idividually. Blizzard way of screwing more seasoned players over.

You're Kerdoz on EU, I assume, and I'm guessing you queued with Shibazer?

This is all speculation, but if so, then you have a significantly higher winrate than him, and have probably obtained that winrate despite being matched against higher MMR opponents than him (on average).

Hotslogs have a big, obvious flaw in the sense that it can't provide correct information about anybody's MMR if it doesn't have access to replays of all their games, but it thinks you're platinum while Shibazer is silver, which seems pretty in-line with you getting way more points than him for winning a game - the system wants to push you to a higher rank as fast as possible, because it thinks you're way below where you should be, while it thinks your buddy is probably close to the rank where he belongs.

This is why ranks don't mean shit right now. MMR is the only remotely reasonable way to know how skilled someone is, and it's hidden, so all we can do is infer it from what little information the system provides us with (such as the "skill bonus"). Somebody who has played 2000 games can still be a barely average player, and look like crap compared to more skilled ones with far fewer games played. For example, somebody picking illidan without knowing that he can rely on his team to support his play, is probably not a very good player. Quantity doesn't always have a quality of its own...
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    You're Kerdoz on EU, I assume, and I'm guessing you queued with Shibazer?

This is all speculation, but if so, then you have a significantly higher winrate than him, and have probably obtained that winrate despite being matched against higher MMR opponents than him (on average).

Hotslogs have a big, obvious flaw in the sense that it can't provide correct information about anybody's MMR if it doesn't have access to replays of all their games, but it thinks you're platinum while Shibazer is silver, which seems pretty in-line with you getting way more points than him for winning a game - the system wants to push you to a higher rank as fast as possible, because it thinks you're way below where you should be, while it thinks your buddy is probably close to the rank where he belongs.

This is why ranks don't mean shit right now. MMR is the only remotely reasonable way to know how skilled someone is, and it's hidden, so all we can do is infer it from what little information the system provides us with (such as the "skill bonus"). Somebody who has played 2000 games can still be a barely average player, and look like crap compared to more skilled ones with far fewer games played. For example, somebody picking illidan without knowing that he can rely on his team to support his play, is probably not a very good player. Quantity doesn't always have a quality of its own...
    Ah, Thank you! That explains everything. The reason I have a very high win rate (62-68%) on all maps except Sky Temple and Blackhearts Bay is that I almost never queue alone. Shibazer plays ALOT of games alone, he has like 3 times more games played in total.

And in ranked I have 40 wins and 27 losses. And I have maybe played one or two ranked solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    Ah, Thank you! That explains everything. The reason I have a very high win rate (62-68%) on all maps except Sky Temple and Blackhearts Bay is that I almost never queue alone. Shibazer plays ALOT of games alone, he has like 3 times more games played in total.

And in ranked I have 40 wins and 27 losses. And I have maybe played one or two ranked solo.
    If you've played any AI games at all, the ingame map winrate is borked all to hell. It counts ALL games, not just vs. people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Its simple it pairs the entire pools of experience against each other not idividually. Blizzard way of screwing more seasoned players over.
    My team was evened out between 30 and 40. This game isn't about individuals, it's about the team. Having a lopsided team like that is a recipe for disaster.

10+ Year Old Account
    My team was evened out between 30 and 40. This game isn't about individuals, it's about the team. Having a lopsided team like that is a recipe for disaster.
    What i mean is it looks at the total sum of games played i believe and pairs you against a similar team. So you very much can be the only guy on the team pushing your team way ahead in that.

What i mean is it looks at the total sum of games played i believe and pairs you against a similar team. So you very much can be the only guy on the team pushing your team way ahead in that.
    I think this is probably correct. I've definitely been in games where a few people have very obviously been way below the other people's skill level. I don't mean in the way that they make kind of stupid plays either, I mean in the way that they will literally lose 2v1s because they don't even use their abilities to kill the opponent, and just right-click them then sort of don't do anything for the rest of the fight.

I faced a raynor and lili last night that did this, and... well, their team lost. I was 2v1 against them in lane all game, and still killed them tons of times and destroyed every building right up to their core with them still in lane to fight me. Those guys didn't belong in a game with the rest of us... I can only speculate that the rest of their team had a much higher MMR than our team, but, well, when they had those two guys dragging them down that hard there wasn't much they could do about it.

Number of games played is irrelevant. If you lose 1500 of your 2000 games you're not going to be as good as the guy who won 750 of his 1000. The game has a hidden MMR for matchmaking purposes, and QM/TL/HL all have their own MMR that are not related to eachother.

Incidentally, did they change the "skill bonus" cap?

I've only been getting 100 bonus points for as long as I can remember, then last night I was also suddenly getting almost 400 points per win.

Deleted
    If you've played any AI games at all, the ingame map winrate is borked all to hell. It counts ALL games, not just vs. people.
    Nop, not a single one

I did not want to make a new topic just for this question but... are there bans in team league ?

Homophobia is so gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    I did not want to make a new topic just for this question but... are there bans in team league ?
    Nope. Not even in Blizzard sponsored tournaments. There's only bans in community tournaments.

I hope they don't ever institute bans. IMO bans are like publicly acknowledging that your hero pool is unbalanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hope they don't ever institute bans. IMO bans are like publicly acknowledging that your hero pool is unbalanced.
    Not when there are several maps. And it's not always a question of balance, sometimes it's just a matter of banning certain champs that have really good synergy together or that counters the strategy that you have in mind.

Bans are needed.

Homophobia is so gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    That's not true at all. Bans allow you to ban certain heroes that can make or break comps/strats that you do not wish to play against because it exploits the weaknesses of the comp you want to run yourself for example. That doesn't mean that the target of the ban is OP per se. Characters like Vikings and Sylvanas are retarded on Haunted Mines, but are more easy to handle on other maps. Right now in HotS tournies bans are often on the OP heroes, but that's because there's a very limited amount of heroes and in some cases said OP heroes don't have a natural counter in the form of another hero, and if they do the enemy team can just use their ban on that hero if they wish to run the OP one since no OP hero really has more than one counter pick atm. Once the hero pool becomes more diverse and every hero has more natural counters, bans will add more depth and strategy to drafting.