Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Terrible horrible things happen on this show and people are still surprised?

"and people say I'm crazy!" -Mark Hamill Joker

What strikes me as odd in this entire scenario is that it wasn't until the scene itself that outrage occurred. Now it was known a few episodes prior that Sansa was going to be married off to a sadist and everybody should have realised at that point that wedding + sadist - any love between characters = rape is incoming. So to me what seems odd is they where all fine with this until they where forced to confront the scene head on. A weird kind of mirror for much of the real world sexual crimes in that the masses don't seem bothered until the point it is pretty much shoved directly in there faces at which point now it's a problem.

Deleted
    btw, this is some of the script from the book relating to this specific scene..

Ramsay rose, the firelight shining on his face. 'Reek, get over here. Get her ready for me.''
    For a moment he did not understand. 'I...do you mean...m'lord, I have no...I...'
    'With your mouth,' Lord Ramsay said. 'And be quick about it, if she's not wet by the time I'm done disrobing, I will cut off that tongue of yours and nail it to the wall'
    Somewhere in the godswood, a raven screamed. The dagger was still in his [Reek's] hand.
    He sheathed it.
    Reek, Reek, it rhymes with weak [he thought].
    Reek bent to his task.''

Deleted
    The complaint isn't merely that someone was raped. I'm sure some people are complaining about that, but obviously those who have been reading the books and watching the show for years are unlikely to be bothered by that. The complaints are that:

a.) It is a rape which doesn't happen in the books.

b.) Rather than being a logical progression of events, the plot which results in Sansa turning up at Winterfell doesn't really make much sense - how is LF able to commit treason in broad daylight without word of it reaching Cersei? For example. Which gives one the distinct impression that the showrunners really wanted this rape to happen and came up with a hastily written plot to allow it to happen.

c.) Relatedly, a huge amount of book material has been cut. In the Winterfell plot line specifically we have no Northern lords, barely any development for Theon 2/3rds into the season, no Frey Pies, no whodunnit murder mystery. And in the broader plot big characters like Arianne Martell and The Griffs are cut. So why is all that gone, but Benioff and Weiss went out of their way to make this event happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    That's the second wife to be raped on the show. Khaleesi was raped by Drogo.

I think in the US it was legal to rape your wife until recently. It just wasn't considered rape.
    That's not a "US" thing, that's an old English common law concept, that rape was defined as forcible sex with a woman by "a man, not her husband". And, yes, it's a legal artifact at this point.

Simulacrum does raise a valid point about consent in the context of the story setting and the plot. Sansa is no fool, she knew what agreeing to participate in this plot with Littlefinger to marry her off to the Boltons entailed, and she went along anyway. It doesn't make Ramsay any less of a literal or figurative bastard and doesn't change that she is being brutalized by carrying out that plan, but it is part of a plan, a plan she agreed to take part in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    The complaint isn't merely that someone was raped. I'm sure some people are complaining about that, but obviously those who have been reading the books and watching the show for years are unlikely to be bothered by that. The complaints are that:

b.) Rather than being a logical progression of events, the plot which results in Sansa turning up at Winterfell doesn't really make much sense - how is LF able to commit treason in broad daylight without word of it reaching Cersei? For example. Which gives one the distinct impression that the showrunners really wanted this rape to happen and came up with a hastily written plot to allow it to happen.

c.) Relatedly, a huge amount of book material has been cut. In the Winterfell plot line specifically we have no Northern lords, barely any development for Theon 2/3rds into the season, no Frey Pies, no whodunnit murder mystery. And in the broader plot big characters like Arianne Martell and The Griffs are cut. So why is all that gone, but Benioff and Weiss went out of their way to make this event happen?
    Keep in mind, that this is also the same series people have mentioned plays Incest as not really a big deal. Honestly at this point I am sure if one of the characters fucked a horse, you'd have people who wonder what the big deal is about it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account

This sums it up pretty good^

Deleted
    It doesn't happen in the books, it's just added for shock value.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post

This sums it up pretty good^

UH NO! Our history also never fucking included dragons or any of the other bullshit, and as far as omitting reality, let's not even go down that LOTRs trend BS!
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2015-05-21 at 01:49 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The rape scene was actually all about Theon, notice the camera never left him during most of the scene? In the book its Jeyne Poole, used as a stand in for Arya, that this happens to and Theon later escapes with her. I imagine they are rolling Sansa's story in to that and its why Sansa story has went the way it has lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    No it isn't... it's "added" because they removed a character and placed sensa in her role to keep the cast to a less confusing number, and to give her something to do that wasn't just afk in the erie or whatever. And the scene is way less shocking than the equivalent one was in the book. If they did it for "shock value" then they have a very different concept of what that means than I think most people do.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    I'm not sure about anyone else, but I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the shock value that this brings.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Deleted
    Where was the outrage when there was a scene where a guy's DICK GOT CHOPPED OFF? I guess that is not an issue at all but now princess gets fucked by her husband who she married by choice and every SJW feminazi cunt is suddenly supertriggered. Not hypocritical at all. Nooope.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    UH NO! Our history also never fucking included dragons or any of the other bullshit, and as far as omitting reality, let's not even go down that LOTRs trend BS!
    These are some well-articulated objections, mate.

Im' sure GRRM will immediately be amending all his books as soon as he reads it.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Doesn't matter if it wasn't in the books, the point is what were people expecting? That Ramsey would sweep her off her feet and make sweet gentle love to her all night? I'm not even sure if I would classify it as rape, Sansa willingly married Ramsey, willingly consented to sex, never withdrew consent. Was it the nicest sex? No, but rough sex /= rape. If anything Ramsey is the one being raped, since he is being forced to marry Sansa by his father.

The real travesty is why people watch this show, it's jumped the shark since the end of season 2 and has been riding on the coattails of season 1 for so long. The acting is terrible, the direction is terrible, the plot is being butchered beyond belief, it spits in the face of the books, and GRRM doesn't even care, because he's making money.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post

A) So fucking what? Lots of shit doesn't happen in the books. This is a better plot for the actors and writers.

B) Logical? Logically if she were to marry him she'd have to have sex with him. Logically we know that he's a fucked up person. Logically we know that she doesn't want to fuck him or be married to him. Logically he'd have to rape her because of points mentioned above. Logically they cut shit out of the story because they're seen as boring as fuck. Also, logically, time limitations. Holy shit.

C) People who rant and rave about the books being different from the show don't understand anything about making a show. You do realize that the show writers are not the book writers, and that they will finish the TV show long before the writer of the books finish the books, right? They are setting up the story that they want to see. Sure they get some input from the book writer, but they're going with their own artistic interpretation.

I think you people have issues with artistic freedom. You SHOULD be looking at the show and the books as different things. They aren't the same and have never been the same. They both stand on their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

The "It wasn't in the books" argument is stupid, there are a lot of us who didn't read the books and don't care. I didn't read the books first for the same reason I didn't read the Harry Potter books first, the books make the shows/movies terrible and I can't enjoy them as much.

Happened to me with Eragon. Loved the movie, Read the book, loved the book, watched the movie again, Hate the movie.

She's a fucking idiot. There are real problems in the world and she wants to get huffy about a fake rape scene in a damn show. Grow up and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Congrats Blizz. Everyone who wanted a Vanilla realm will get it with WoD. So much for never moving backward. Though, it will not be a pure vanilla server since you can still fly in the old content, and you don't have to farm things just to raid. Just wanted to congratulate Blizz for giving the folks what they wanted, a classic vanilla world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Or, maybe instead of making a strawman, they could just get a lvl 1 pony after they complete a quest in the starting zone

wow another pointless throw away of the tag "SJW"

definitely dont see alot of those nowadays.

This is far from the worst thing to happen in Game of Thrones. Hell, it's not even the worst thing to happen to Sansa. I'd rate watching her father be executed, and later when Joffery making her stare at his head on a stake as worse.