Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Greece Says That It Will Default On June 5th (GGT)

original title: Greece Says That It Will Default On June 5th, And Moody’s Warns Of A ‘Deposit Freeze’

http://emergingequity.org/2015/05/21...eposit-freeze/

Of course it won’t technically be a “default” according to IMF rules for another 30 days after that, but without a doubt news that Greece cannot pay will send shockwaves throughout the financial world. At that point, those holding Greek bonds will start to panic as they realize that they might not get paid as well. All over Europe, there are major banks that are holding large amounts of Greek debt and derivatives that are related to the performance of Greek debt. If something is not done to avert disaster at the last moment, a default by Greece could be the spark that sets off a major European financial crisis this summer.

As I discussed the other day, neither the EU nor the IMF have given any money to Greece since August 2014. So now the Greek government is just about out of money, and without any new loans they will not be able to pay back the old loans that are coming due. In fact, things are so bad at this point that the Greek government is openly warningthat it will default on June 5th…

10+ Year Old Account
    It's Greece, so 5th June is a bit optimistic for them getting around to doing (or not doing) something and it's a bit close to Pneumatos. I'm thinking maybe July, possibly September, not August though, they've got Assumption of Mary then and obviously it can't clash with Okhi Day, so October's definitely out.

Siga, siga.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can the EU repo Greece and auction it off piece by piece?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have coworkers that live in Greece and telecommute. I wonder how this will affect them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    How about we repo your ugly country?

Fucking internet warriors, I swear...

Wait, who bought Greek bonds? What sort of masochists are these people???
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    I believe some ports were already sold to the Chinese (or they've taken a stake in them).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Wait, who bought Greek bonds? What sort of masochists are these people???
    If Greece defaults I might actually buy some. Without the dead weight of the euro it should recover very quickly.

They'll be able to undercut the rest of europe with the drachma. They have a beautiful country that tourists will flood into when they can stay for a week and pay a fraction of what they would in their own countries.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    If Greece defaults I might actually buy some. Without the dead weight of the euro it should recover very quickly.

They'll be able to undercut the rest of europe with the drachma. They have a beautiful country that tourists will flood into when they can stay for a week and pay a fraction of what they would in their own countries.
    So much this.

Italy and Spain will see that telling Germany to get fucked and leaving is a viable option. Germany and eastern europe left to play nice with Russia. Germany goes back to shooting bullets rather than spending money to achieve imperium over Europe. It's beautiful, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post

They could switch to the USD like Zimbabwe did for all the good it would do. It changes nothing and the root of the Greek Financial problems will still exist because Greece refuses to tackle them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    How about we repo your ugly country?

Fucking internet warriors, I swear...
    Because we pay our debts still.

10+ Year Old Account
    Opa!

No? Inappropriate?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Greek holiday incoming!
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because we pay our debts still.
    So do we dummy.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2015-05-22 at 01:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    So do we dummy.
    Not if you default, by definition.

Cheap vacation this year. Awesome!

10+ Year Old Account
    Not if you default, by definition.
    So we have defaulted already? That's news to me, I guess I didn't get the memo.

In all seriousness, the sovereignty of a country is simply not on the table. They default, what they will get is very expensive loans in the future but everyone that lent them money is basically out of pocket.

Deleted
    So what the eurozone seems to think will happen is : Syriza will split. Varoufakis will not sign a surrender and will resign. Tsipras will ally with Potami, and get the tactic support of the liberal wing of New Democracy. Get debt relief, survive and mutate to a center left social democractic party.

However you have Zoe Konstantopoulou and the 'debt truth committee' along with a revolt in Syriza on the cards to throw spanners at any agreement.

5th of June is going to be the next interesting twist.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    So I read about this on these forums, and other websites but don't say much as I don't have the greatest understanding of the entire situation + nothing really important to add.
    But I do have an honest question.
    How far will the EU let Greece sink if they don't pay their debts? I understand future loans will sucks, and people won't want to do business with them, but my understanding is this whole situation is something that can go down a steep hill for a long time. But exactly how far will the EU let it go, if things don't turn around for Greece?
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?